• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My dad has a problem with some small squirrels. He asked me about some .22 "birdshot" that he could use. I remember my Ruger 10/22 manual saying not to use this type of ammo. I'm guessing it has something to do with damage to the rifling.

So here's the objective. Dad lives in an area that discharge of a firearm isn't illegal. He does have neighbors on three sides. The fourth side has a farm about a half a mile away. It is on this fourth side where the targets will be. He wants to be as quiet as possible out of courtesy only. He wants a very short effective range for piece of mind and will be taking the critters out at distances no more than 30 yards. I had mentioned the note about the ammo in my 10/22 and he said he didn't care if it ruined the gun because that's all it will be ever used for. I guess not giving a **** comes with retirement!

So is there a rifle out there or small shotgun that can get this done? I told him to just get a 20 gauge and he said that was too much power. I said "what about a high end pellet gun and a scope"? His reply was priceless: "that level of aiming is too much work".

I did a little research and I couldn't turn up anything. What say you INGO?

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    Look for some .22 Super Colibri ammo made by Aguila. The cartridge has a 20 grain lead bullet in a long rifle case powered by only the priming compound. It won't cycle the action in a 10-22 so it's necessary to manually cycle the bolt after each shot. The report is about the same as a pellet gun when fired from a rifle.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The 22 birdshot would only be effective at very close distances, meaning the squirrel better be less than 2-3 yards away. The shot in most of them is #12 and has very limited penetrating ability. The other issue is the rifling puts a spin on the whole shot charge making it spread immeadiately after leaving the muzzle. I tested the CCI and Federal brands and at 5 yards the shot pattern was wider than an IPSC full torso target. His best option may be the pellet gun or just get some subsonic 22 ammo and be very sure of his background.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    you could go with a smoothbore 22 like my Remington 572 but effective range is still very short, I would say a decent pellet gun is the best choice. Btw, shotshell will not hurt the rifling, just won't function the action in a semi-auto and the CCI may be too long to even hand cycle.

572.jpg

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    In my experience that stuff really isn't even effective on birds at close range.
    The 22 birdshot would only be effective at very close distances, meaning the squirrel better be less than 2-3 yards away. The shot in most of them is #12 and has very limited penetrating ability. The other issue is the rifling puts a spin on the whole shot charge making it spread immeadiately after leaving the muzzle. I tested the CCI and Federal brands and at 5 yards the shot pattern was wider than an IPSC full torso target. His best option may be the pellet gun or just get some subsonic 22 ammo and be very sure of his background.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Smile and get him the loads he wants. After he realizes that it won't work, he'll likely come around to putting a little more power behind the projectiles or a little more effort into the aiming process. :twocents:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Bird shot from a .22 might or might not have been used by someone at some point in the distant past to clear out birds from a large detached garage belonging to a relative. :whistle:

I don't think it would be effective on squirrels at 20-30 yards. However, I concur with Hooky. If it can be safely and legally used, buy him a box of 50 and let him engage the enemy. You will be the good son and it will at least keep him occupied and out of your Mom's hair for a day or two. Just work up a new plan to suggest when the bird shot proves ineffective.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Bird shot from a .22 might or might not have been used by someone at some point in the distant past to clear out birds from a large detached garage belonging to a relative. :whistle:

I don't think it would be effective on squirrels at 20-30 yards. However, I concur with Hooky. If it can be safely and legally used, buy him a box of 50 and let him engage the enemy. You will be the good son and it will at least keep him occupied and out of your Mom's hair for a day or two. Just work up a new plan to suggest when the bird shot proves ineffective.
    Since he doesn't really want to aim I would suggest a box trap.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Look for some .22 Super Colibri ammo made by Aguila. The cartridge has a 20 grain lead bullet in a long rifle case powered by only the priming compound. It won't cycle the action in a 10-22 so it's necessary to manually cycle the bolt after each shot. The report is about the same as a pellet gun when fired from a rifle.

Plus one on this. Same gun same problem . Ended up shooting 13 of them. Rest got demon and mouse traps. No more problems.

Bird shot is useless. Like throwing pepper flakes.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Think the .410 or a 28 gauge might be the ticket. If not, I'll just take my .22 over and have a little fun. I'd like to try that Super Calibri too.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Poison them...tac strip fly bait. Any hardware store in small dish with cola. Must keep out of reach of pets and kids. Kills dead, fast, quick.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Trap them. .22 birdshot out of a rifled barrel is next to useless. I have a pump action smoothbore .22 Remington that is choked, and it is the absolute perfect rat run for inside-the-barn ranges (10 yards or less). Kills rats DRT but does not damage the barn. Good for sparrows shooting up into a tree. But a squirrel is tougher and I do not believe it would do the trick, even with this most-optimal firearm for the round in question.

Another option is a pellet gun. They don't always do the trick, but they work alright.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom