• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    So I thought I only liked handguns, but I shot a Henry Goldenboy in .22 the other day and it was freaking awesome. I was wondering if there are any .22 AR-15s you guys like. If its anything like the Henry ill be in heaven.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    There are quite a few .22 AR variants to choose from. It is a personal choice mainly and it also depends on how much money you want to spend. There is also .22 conversions for an AR if you already have one.

There are some relatively cheap ones and quite pricey ones.

I am buying a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 for my wife. They are a mid range priced firearm and hold their value seemingly quite well.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I've heard that one be suggested a couple times. Seems like it's a reasonable price too. Thanks!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yea the m&p15-22 is probably the most popular AR style 22. It is really mostly plastic though, but the design is very similar to a real AR, having its own BCG and such. These are over $400.

Then there is the Mossberg 715, which is just made to look like an AR. It is super cheap and not very popular. You could buy a Ruger 10/22 and get an AR looking stock and probably be far better off.

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I have a Spikes Tactical dedicated .22 LR with the optional match Walther Lothar barrel. It's unbelievably accurate in comparison to the other AR platform .22s. I also have a ciener M-16/AR15 .22LR conversion kit that I don't really use anymore since I did the Spikes. I don't like what the dirty .22 ammo does to a gas system in an AR.

handkaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    I bought the Mossburg 715 for my wife, which is the mossburg 702 under the plastics, its a great gun, really reasonable and shoots great.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I like the dedicated uppers best, but it'll set you back a bit more unless you already have a lower (and depending on which upper, even then). If you already have an AR15 the conversion bolts work pretty darn well (at least mine did), and that is going to be your absolute cheapest "AR-type" option. Based on what you posted though (having a bunch of fun plinking with a .22LR) I would encourage you to perhaps go the absolute least expensive route and pick up a Marlin 795 for $100 and shoot the crap out of it.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a CMMG .22 upper and it works very well with my DPMS lower. I gave my CMMG the same general set-up as my standard upper (vertical fore grip, Daniel Defense rear co-witness with red dot) so I could train CQC for much cheaper. I wanted be able to train and practice using my DPMS lower because I have the trigger group and pistol grip customized.

Whatever you decide, I would either get a dedicated rimfire AR or a dedicated .22 upper (if you have an AR lower already). .22LR runs dirtier than centerfire cartridges, as it not only leaves more carbon behind, but also brass shavings. Unless you mind thoroughly cleaning your standard upper after each time using the conversion, get an upper or whole rifle dedicated to the job.

As far as brand names to avoid when it comes to .22 uppers, do not get a Chiappa. The one I got initially failed on me twice after only a few shots fired. The guide rod popped out of place after 1 or 2 shots, causing the 3rd or 4th shot to completely mangle the recoil spring. I had to wait a month to get it back after they supposedly repaired it with a "new and improved receiver". It failed again in the exact same manner.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I would recommend a Colt. I have one and it works great and looks and feels like a regular AR-15. It is a pleasure to shoot.:D

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Just another thumbs up for a Spikes dedicated upper! Probably any dedicated upper will be pretty nice though. My spikes is reliable, accurate and easy to clean! I hate to guess how many rds have been out through it. When my reliability suffers (and I'm still at the range) I spray the bolt down with CLP, give it a quick wipe and continue to shoot! Only complaint I have is the mags kinda suck. A PITA to load and are kinda cheap. I think I've seen a newer better model though recently.

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    Smithy gets my vote. If you sub out the original trigger group with something like a cmc or equivalent drop in and add a slidefire with a blackdog 50rd drum at becomes an instant smile maker. A suppressor sweetens it even more.

chasinfire

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    NWI
    I picked up the Colt version, mainly because it feels heavy duty...all metal. The wife and kids love to shoot it. It also keeps them away from the .223 rounds...which saves bullets for me..lol

Top Bottom