• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I detest lever actions.
    Much rather have a Remington pump 121 or 572...........the latter w high comb if scoping it.
    Unfortunately prices on either have gone stoopid.

Henrys are nice enough looking, but pale when put along side a Winchester 9422.

The Henry is just the newest version of the Erma. It has a cover. The receiver is not fully machined from steel like a 39 or 9422.

For cowboys with thinner wallets...............the Henry probably the only rifle to buy.

Older, needing scopes on stuff..................that puts me out of ANY lever gun. Because a scope on a lever gun (outside of a 99 or BLR or Sako) looks like crap.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I love the .22 mag round but your first rimfire should really be a. 22 lr.

Absolutely, 100% agree.

No, no, NO...to the .22 WMR for what you are saying you need. Ammunition isn't even 1/10th as available--especially now, with the need to divert as many casings as possible to the production of HMR, until that fad dies--and the round is extremely loud relative to .22 LR, extremely expensive relative to .22LR, has many fewer options in ammo, and NONE of those options are cheap or quiet. All for only half-again more range than a good .22LR.

Sorry, my Chuckster .22 Mag is NOT for sale...But it's not what you need.

If you were anything near local, I'd happily let you hear both, and you'd immediately understand.

-Nate

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Unless you have a revolver with one cylinder bored for .22 WMR and a second cylinder bored for .22 LR/Long/Short, you should never fire any of the other three .22 rimfire rounds you mentioned out of a given gun; and you must never fire the three smaller rounds out of the .22 WMR cylinder because their case diameters are small enough that, if fired, the cases would likely rupture and blow fragments in your face and hands.
    Probably the most popular example of a revolver with an option of two cylinders for both sets of .22 rimfire rounds is the Ruger Super Single Six.
    Because the .22 WMR has a larger diameter case, it's impossible to fire it out of any chamber bored for any of the three smaller rounds.
    You can fire any of the .22 LR/Long/Short rounds out of any gun bored for .22 LR, but (as others have mentioned) autoloaders configured for .22 LR probably won't successfully eject and feed the two shorter rounds, necessitating manual cycling of the action to fire more than one of either of the two shorter rounds.
    Of course, any manually operated rifle (bolt, lever action, single shot, pump) will probably feed and fire any of the three, at least as long as the rifle's action is properly configured for it, as in it is with any of Marlin's tubular magazine rifles.
    One often forgotten fifth option that you may not be aware of is the formerly discontinued .22 WRF (Winchester Rim Fire) round that preceded the .22 WMR that has the same case diameter that uses a lead bullet, which can indeed be safely fired in any gun bored for .22 WMR as a somewhat lower powered round, just as the .22 Long and .22 Short are to the .22 Long Rifle.
    The .22 WRF was reintroduced about ten years ago, and you can currently buy brand new ammo for it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Winchester I think does batch runs of the .22 WRF stuff, every so many yrs.
    Think they made a run a few yrs back, my LGS had a few bricks.
    Been gone for some time.

Occasionally I shot reg .22 lr high velocity from my .22 mag Ruger 3 screw.
    I never had case ruptures. Brass was slightly bulged.
    Did it once in a while, probably 200 or so rounds over several years.
    Run out of .22 mag and burn a box of LR (keep trying to shoot pop cans).

I did try to put down a sick critter with CB in a Smith 648 way back. It did not penetrate. Dumped those out, dropped in the mags and it was over at the boom.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Winchester I think does batch runs of the .22 WRF stuff, every so many yrs.
    Think they made a run a few yrs back, my LGS had a few bricks.
    Been gone for some time.

Occasionally I shot reg .22 lr high velocity from my .22 mag Ruger 3 screw.
    I never had case ruptures. Brass was slightly bulged.
    Did it once in a while, probably 200 or so rounds over several years.
    Run out of .22 mag and burn a box of LR (keep trying to shoot pop cans).

I did try to put down a sick critter with CB in a Smith 648 way back. It did not penetrate. Dumped those out, dropped in the mags and it was over at the boom.

Widener's has it, albeit at a price that rivals centerfire, a real deal breaker, unless you want the lower report and less meat damage that WRF has over WMR for small game hunting.
    https://www.wideners.com/rimfire/22-wrf-ammo

Rare Ammo also has it for the same price.
    CCI 22 WRF 45gr JHP

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Unless you have a revolver with one cylinder bored for .22 WMR and a second cylinder bored for .22 LR/Long/Short, you should never fire any of the other three .22 rimfire rounds you mentioned out of a given gun; and you must never fire the three smaller rounds out of the .22 WMR cylinder because their case diameters are small enough that, if fired, the cases would likely rupture and blow fragments in your face and hands.

I've seen it where most of the time 22LR just won't fire in 22 mag. Rim diameters being different the 22 LR just gets pushed forward and the primer doesn't ignite. The few I've seen fire, the cases don't rupture, they just shoot like hell.

At least that's what I've seen from people forgetting what cylinder is in their Single Six

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've seen it where most of the time 22LR just won't fire in 22 mag. Rim diameters being different the 22 LR just gets pushed forward and the primer doesn't ignite. The few I've seen fire, the cases don't rupture, they just shoot like hell.

At least that's what I've seen from people forgetting what cylinder is in their Single Six

Yep, that sounds more likely.
    You'd probably get away without injury with the few that would fire in a .22 WMR chamber, but shooting glasses would be particularly important.
    Obviously, no one with any common sense would do it on purpose, though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Before the internet............and all the experts............

I had actually observed others on the range do the wrong cylinder thing on their Single Six rigs...........without issue.
    My .22 mag probably was .22 mag only when I had it the first 10 yrs.

But I tried some .22 lr on a lark and it wasn't the all the horror some would have others believe.

I'd shoot a cylinder once in a great while, maybe even a box of 50.
    If I ran out of .22 mag and was having fun ridding the world of pop cans.

No common sense. Yup, must have happened when those never happened .22 lr exploded and sent all those fragments into my skull.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    But...............I have seen a few kabooms with .22 lr fired in .22 lr rifles. Promo ammo.

Remingting cyclone or thunderbolt took out two of my dad's Remingtons (brought them for the scouts to use).

Have seen a few other guns fire out of battery too.

Never had that running .22 lr in my .22 mag....................

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Why, I posted a question on a couple of forums...............about rechambering a .22lr barrel to .22 mag.

Wrong steel, bore diameters, bullet construction...................all advised against it.

So I contacted a person who makes a living working on barrels, and who is of some notoriety.
    He said he's done it since half of forever.

Works fine. Usually with exceptional accuracy.

Said it was very unlikely that I would wear the barrel out in my lifetime.
    And if I did, well..............how much is that kinda fun worth? Way more than the barrel.

But all the .22 lr and .22 mag "experts" said it was dangerous and other.........

Gotta love the internet.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dead soft carbon steel .....used in most .22 lr barrels..........is not the ideal for .22 mag conversion.
    But it does work very well.
    And in a Contender I'm not really blazing away.
    So my 513T barrel (made into Contender bbl)...............might someday go .22 mag.
    It was an idea................but having shot it w .22 lr (it misfires once in a while due to short match chamber).............it looks like it has some potential.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW I did get a reg .22 lr cylinder later for that .22 mag Single Six eventually, and it fit fine.
    Didn't shoot very well though.
    Probably usable, but with the .22 mag cylinder the thing shot great.
    Killed a few chucks with it.

The .22 lr in the mag cylinder was just goofing off, shooting pop cans instinctively, close range (like under 10 yards).
    Wonder if anybody has done chrono testing, of .22 lr in .22 mag cylinder vs .22lr in proper cylinder..........same gun.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Over the years I have never given a thought about .22 rifles. I have just finished the book "One second after", and have changed my mind. Just asking about the different chamberings for .22's. Will all rifles chambering for .22's take these different types. Will a rifle in .22wmr also take .22 short and .22 lr. Please excuse my ignorance, but as I said a .22 never entered my mind until I read this book. Now I feel the need.

About four (4) years ago, my mother (now age 74) came to us (4 sons) as she wanted a small handgun to carry that would give her some protection while out on her daily walks (she lives in the county and has some back roads she likes to walk along) that would be light to carry + easy to shoot + accurate + not have heavy recoil...bullet effectiveness was not in her request. After much discussion on .380 acp, 9mm, .38 Special, etc. I, then, suggested the Ruger LCR in .22 WMR...it's light-weight, holds 6-rounds, has 'pull-point-n-shoot' capability with the DAO trigger, it's accurate, is easy to shoot, does not have heavy recoil, and has adequate penetration (for a light-weight bullet). A lot of the theory being that 'if' anyone were to be aggressive towards her, the initial response of 'B got a gun!' would be a deterrent of some sort before a trigger would actually have to be pulled...and if it did, at least there would be 6 rounds of adequate penetration available.

It's not perfect...but it does meet the 'requirements' of a 70 year old woman who has minimal handgun experience in life. :twocents:

Ruger® LCR® * Double-Action Revolver Model 5414

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Do agree, that .22 lr in a .22 mag revolver is nothing but goofing off.
    Kinda like bump firing an AR or AK.
    Make noise, move dirt and cans around.
    I certainly never went out to shoot .22 lr in my mag, but I did it once in a great while, without issues.
    Been a while, even if a case split..........it didn't cause an issue. I don't remember them splitting, do remember bulged.
    Whatever happened, it was no big deal.

I am more concerned with centerfire cases splitting, on new factory ammo............which I have seen more of in recent years.

Way back it was that nickle S&W junk in the blue box that had such problems (IIRC).

Liked Winchester brass for reloading, but on new Whitebox stuff, have had cases split. Factory firing. Must have cheapened some things or used lesser lots ?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    About four (4) years ago, my mother (now age 74) came to us (4 sons) as she wanted a small handgun to carry that would give her some protection while out on her daily walks (she lives in the county and has some back roads she likes to walk along) that would be light to carry + easy to shoot + accurate + not have heavy recoil...bullet effectiveness was not in her request. After much discussion on .380 acp, 9mm, .38 Special, etc. I, then, suggested the Ruger LCR in .22 WMR...it's light-weight, holds 6-rounds, has 'pull-point-n-shoot' capability with the DAO trigger, it's accurate, is easy to shoot, does not have heavy recoil, and has adequate penetration (for a light-weight bullet). A lot of the theory being that 'if' anyone were to be aggressive towards her, the initial response of 'B got a gun!' would be a deterrent of some sort before a trigger would actually have to be pulled...and if it did, at least there would be 6 rounds of adequate penetration available.

It's not perfect...but it does meet the 'requirements' of a 70 year old woman who has minimal handgun experience in life. :twocents:

Ruger® LCR® * Double-Action Revolver Model 5414

IMHO Ruger needs to make the LCR X model 5431 in .22 magnum. That with the compact grip would be a neat trail gun.

I sent several emails to the CEO and lo and behold they finally did bring out the #1 in .44 magnum.

So maybe if I harp on the ol boy some more they'll do the mag with adj sights.

BTW, the target version LCR X in .38 spcl fits and looks way better IMHO with the compact fingergroove Hogue grip.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd like that little rig on a trap line or when fishing. Or when bowhunting, should a yote cross a ways out.
    .22 mag from such a short bbl would be pretty wimpy, but it'd perf the lungs and kill him quick enough.

Best .22 mag, and offering serious accuracy..........a Smith 48 or 648.
    Loved 'em for creekbanking chucks.

Too expensive for the kids to plink with.
    And I got tired of carrying a handgun and rifle when afield.

Had to carry cross draw, so as to not bonk rifle stock when slung. PITA.
    Those Smiths weren't boat anchors, but they did have a bit of weight.

That Ruger would be a sweet trapline rig.

And no, I never did like the Bearcat.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, have never seen a .22 lr case head sep when used in .22 mag revolver.
    Never had any .22 mag case head separate- rifle or revolver, or even when pop's POS AMT would occasionally fire ;)
    Did see a case head sep when that promo ammo blew the extractor and cracked the forend on a 572.
    Maybe I'm just lucky, used to shoot rimfire a fair bit............now the Wildcats failing to fire, in various rifles or pistols...........that was probably the most annoying thing.
    Yet folks on various sites give that ammo a thumbs up, call it accurate and great.
    Gotta love the internet.

I was just searching for .22 lr in mag cylinder chrono stuff..............poured through a few archived threads elsewhere............my goodness, the level of freakin' stupid.

I can't take it anymore today. I'll go out and work on my Jeep............you know, even at its Chrysler worst, it's not THAT stupid.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW .22 mag is decent in IHMSA field pistol.
    40 gr stuff did well in my 648.
    Don't recall a ram left standing after a hit. I did leave a pig once, he spun a lot, but stayed up (dirty SOB).
    Never did try the 50gr Federal.
    Rams w 40 grainers didn't topple at speed. Slow but over they'd go (never cleared a bank dangit).
    Iron sights, offhand, I'd take an 8 any day.
    Turkeys (or as my dad called them........"eagles")...........that's where things were toughest.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom