• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just picked up a Howa M-1500 in .204 Ruger.
    I keep hearing what a nice 'yote gun it is. I've never dealt with the .204 round.

Any suggestions for paper punching rounds, and 'yote rounds? Weight and loads?

Anyone have a line on a supply? Dick's in Lafayette has Hornady's for $22.99 p/20 rounds.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    the Hornady VMAX are by far the most accurate rounds that i have found for the .204 ruger. The 32 grain is great out to about 300 yards, any further than that i would recommend stepping up to the 40 grain round. I haven't found any great online sources for purchasing .204 ruger ammo. I would ask one of the local shops if they can order it in for you and what the price would be. I normally buy it 10 boxes at a time and get it for around $16 a box plus tax. Please feel free to PM if you have any other .204 ruger questions.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    The 204 is an amazing little round and is quite enough for coyotes. And like Brad I have not found a good online source for ammo that has a good price, I usually find it cheaper at a local shop by the time you figure in shipping. I also agree that the Hornady is the most accurate Factory ammo(well atleast in my rifle) and the 32 and 40gr pills are superb. If you step in to handloading for it give the MidwayUSA Dogtown bullets a try, my Savage loves them.

Just a thing to watch for is copper fouling. If your rifle groups good and then opens up real quick, give that bore a good scrub down with a good copper solvent. And I don't mean Hoppes #9, I mean a good copper solvent like Sweet's or such. I have seen, especially in a new rifle, groups go from sub-half inch to well over inch and a half in as few as 10 rounds. That fast little round dumps a lot of copper in the bore, generally in the first three inches of the rifling. So don't give up on it if it shoots great for a little bit and then goes to hell in a hand basket, just give it a good cleaning.

I feel you will be very happy with this round, it IMHO deserves all the hype it has gotten over the past few years. I'm not promising anything but you can check out my album Odd's and End's and see what potential for accuracy this round has with factory ammo.;)

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i agree the .204 deserves every bit of hype that its been given. I have never shot another gun that shoots as flat and accurate as the .204 I just can't say enough good things about that little round. As a matter of fact since i purchased my .204 i haven't shot any of my 22/250's due to the fact that the .204 is superior in every way and costs less to shoot.

Top Bottom