• ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    What's up with the purple coals and is that snow are you making burgers in the snow musy got a better tolerance then me for the cold weather
    Purple coals = bad lighting.

It was snow. I've cooked out in temps that had my beer freezing in the neck of the bottle, you just have to bundle up.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I’ll drop this here, but if there’s an existing discussion please leave me a link.

I’d really like to get a smoker. There’s only the two of us so I’m looking for a “small” one, and for only occasional use (once a week or less).

I also don’t want to spend anywhere near $1,000.

Impossible dream?
    I'm the same, I bought a 350.00 Pit Boss.
    It works well.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    This is my small smoker works great. Keeps temps very well perfect for two people. I use it when it’s just me and my wife.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is my small smoker works great. Keeps temps very well perfect for two people. I use it when it’s just me and my wife.

Can it really do a great brisket? Is it a set and forget type? In other words does it require much babysitting once you get it going?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    It’s set and forget I have a remote temp probe set up on my phone. The pellets last about 8 hours at smoke temperature.

My signature pulled pork is an injection slow smoke 12-14 hour no wrap. Put it on in the evening then refill the pellets before bed. No fuss perfectly done.

It can do everything well you can even crank it up to 500f and sear a steak. It has a slider plate that lets you get direct flame on a steak.

If I am cooking for a large group I use it for vegetables and leg quarters to free up the big smoker for the main course.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I’ll drop this here, but if there’s an existing discussion please leave me a link.

I’d really like to get a smoker. There’s only the two of us so I’m looking for a “small” one, and for only occasional use (once a week or less).

Impossible dream?
    I had this one for a couple years...

RT-B380 Bullseye Wood Pellet Grill

Worked great, no complaints. But I mainly did hot-n-fast cooks with it, since I have a much bigger RT-700 for smoking.

My wife decided I needed an upgrade last year and got me this one...

RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe

Still mainly used for hot-n-fast, but I have smoked a lot more with it than my old one, thanks to having the wi-fi control and firepot design that is less likely to have a flare up from dripping grease.

I do advise a foil drip pan with either when smoking low-n-slow, just to be safe.

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region

Impossible dream?
    Looks like everyone has pellet recommendations.

For charcoal you can use a Weber kettle since it's just the 2 of you. Or Weber also makes the 14" Smokey Mountain which is the smallest of that series. Even at retail you are under $300, but these 2 options are not set and forget.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Can it really do a great brisket? Is it a set and forget type? In other words does it require much babysitting once you get it going?
    I have the $350.00 pit boss, if I clean out the ash/burner box after running it for 2-4 times it will hold within 10° easily.
    It's maybe a 5 min clean.
    What screws up the temps is constantly opening the lid to check on your food.
    It was a learning curve for sure, it's hard to not to open the lid.

I wish I would have bought mine years ago.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    I have the $350.00 pit boss, if I clean out the ash/burner box after running it for 2-4 times it will hold within 10° easily.
    It's maybe a 5 min clean.
    What screws up the temps is constantly opening the lid to check on your food.
    It was a learning curve for sure, it's hard to not to open the lid.

I wish I would have bought mine years ago.
    We do "tri tip" out here (Kommiefornia); it's a hunk that generally weighs a 3-4 pounds. I usually do them on the rotisserie in about an hour +/-.

What kind of smoke times are bigger cuts like this taking? A general question, I know...

1728418356099.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We do "tri tip" out here (Kommiefornia); it's a hunk that generally weighs a 3-4 pounds. I usually do them on the rotisserie in about an hour +/-.

What kind of smoke times are bigger cuts like this taking? A general question, I know...

View attachment 385726
    The only big red beef I have done is a 9-10 lb prime rib last Christmas.
    I left it uncovered in the fridge for two days and cooked it at 450° quickly to seal it and then 225° until the thermometer said RARE and took it off. It was awesome.
    Lots of 6-10 pork butts and belly's. I've been very happy with it.
    It scares the crap out of me to ruin a 50 - 125 chunk of meat. So I'm a bit gun shy of doing a big brisket.

Last edited:

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Beef stew has been going in the crock since around 10 this morning. Bought a loaf of asiago garlic break that will be going into the oven to serve with it. Can't wait!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well, wrong thread but oh well.
    We put the kids Corvette in the garage and plugged it in and headed to Indy.W
    We had an awesome lunch at The Tomale Place and it was as good as it ever was.
    1000001818.jpg
    We talked for quite awhile and I dropped him off at the airport. He's heading to Chicago and then to spend a week with his cousin stationed in Germany for a week, and then back to Baghdad for 4-5 months.

@bgcatty... How much does a new set of rear Michelins go for?
    I got the keys.
    1000001622.jpg

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, wrong thread but oh well.
    We put the kids Corvette in the garage and plugged it in and headed to Indy.W
    We had an awesome lunch at The Tomale Place and it was as good as it ever was.
    View attachment 385743
    We talked for quite awhile and I dropped him off at the airport. He's heading to Chicago and then to spend a week with his cousin stationed in Germany for a week, and then back to Baghdad for 4-5 months.

@bgcatty... How much does a new set of rear Michelins go for?
    I got the keys.
    View attachment 385744
    I just spent $1100 for a new set (4) of Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires for the Porsche 911. There is nothing that makes a car feel like new and fantastic to drive than a new set of “sneakers”!
    Remember: Porsche, there is no substitute! LOL! :wavey:

PS: Nice looking Corvette! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom