• ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Anticipation builds.
    Got both of mine last year during archery season. State park draw was a bust. Several .308 bolts to choose from, a new 300WM (overkill?), 10mm, and the usual assortment of crossbows and cap locks for extended season. Looking forward to the the state park lottery opening soon.

Deer jerky and deer/cheese sausage had us eating well on the last backpacking trip, so we'll need more.

Freezer space is at a premium, so will likely be canning a lot of last year's.
    397293341_10231965385816292_5910670683670742367_n.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It will be easy here. Have cup of coffee and walk to the barn before light. Been deer around the garden all summer since I planted in spring. Heck I don’t have to travel and come about November the greenest plant around will be my beets carrots and radish plants. The travel corridor is right in the backyard and they come thru dusk and dawn.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Lost mine and daughters archery spot the other day. Property owner has a sister who thinks her boy gets to hunt it alone. Pulling stands when I get a minute. We still get to gun hunt it but losing October puts a crimp in the season. We won't know what's out there.
    22 years there. My daughter has never bow hunted anywhere else.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I never see bucks until mid October or so, but then they start passing thru & rubbing my trees. This year I have a crossbow and plan to get out for archery for the first time. I also have a new hitch-mounted gambrel for simple processing. This past week of cool weather got me goin’

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I never see bucks until mid October or so, but then they start passing thru & rubbing my trees. This year I have a crossbow and plan to get out for archery for the first time. I also have a new hitch-mounted gambrel for simple processing. This past week of cool weather got me goin’
    My kids bought me the hitch hoist. Dang handy!!IMG_20231202_103812783_PORTRAIT.jpg

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I'm looking forward to season. My elbow has been jacked up and I was questioning my ability to pull and anchor my bow, shot this week and it works. My 12 yr old is proving his efficiency with his now, putting 4/4 in a 3" circle from 20&30 yds.

My food plots have been a struggle this year, I have the worst corn plot I've ever planted. And I always plant buck forage oats. I was ahead of the game on oats and got them planted before the last rain, but the last rain was a 4 incher. I got down in the bottoms this week and half my planting flooded out . Lucky for me I have leftover seed and there's still time to plant, maybe that'll happen today.

Looking like another bumper crop of acorns this year .

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm looking forward to season as well. We're planning to spend more time in the woods in October than we have in previous years. I'll likely spend most, if not all of my time in the woods behind a camera which I'm ok with. I enjoy filming as much as I do hunting and get almost as much satisfaction from catching the action well as I do from killing a good buck.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I'm looking forward to season. My elbow has been jacked up and I was questioning my ability to pull and anchor my bow, shot this week and it works. My 12 yr old is proving his efficiency with his now, putting 4/4 in a 3" circle from 20&30 yds.

My food plots have been a struggle this year, I have the worst corn plot I've ever planted. And I always plant buck forage oats. I was ahead of the game on oats and got them planted before the last rain, but the last rain was a 4 incher. I got down in the bottoms this week and half my planting flooded out . Lucky for me I have leftover seed and there's still time to plant, maybe that'll happen today.

Looking like another bumper crop of acorns this year .
    I’ve had the opposite problem. Got about an inch of rain when I planted last Thursday, no rain since and none forecasted anytime soon. Plants are up, and I’m not sure they’ll survive the coming heat wave without more rain.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hoping this season gives me more time to hunt and less time spent dealing with trouble. I had some of my purple paint on trees covered in obscenities in orange so I'm expecting some. Had a gate stolen where last season somebody had a campsite on my ground off the road. I destroyed that access road back to the clearing so they will have to park on the county road if they want to do that again.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Hoping this season gives me more time to hunt and less time spent dealing with trouble. I had some of my purple paint on trees covered in obscenities in orange so I'm expecting some. Had a gate stolen where last season somebody had a campsite on my ground off the road. I destroyed that access road back to the clearing so they will have to park on the county road if they want to do that again.
    Went through some of the same up north. Some folks thought that they could have free run on the land I pay taxes on. Stay the course. It gets better eventually.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I still have another month yet before I can get trail cams out on my primary hunting property and it'll probably be mid to late October before I get photos of any of the better bucks that should be around this year but I'm still chomping at the bit to get started. If the area can avoid an EHD outbreak and poachers don't take a toll, it has the potential to be one of my best seasons ever based on what survived last season.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't do deer, but I support those who do.

For me hogs in Texas is just too rich of a target rich environment for me, to deal with the restrictions on anything else.. so I will wait for March to come. Leave the Hoosier game to you all.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County

NOPE -​

State Park Deer Management​

Updates on reserved hunts at Indiana State Parks will be posted here in fall 2024, if approved through a new regulatory approval process. Please check back for updates.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Z06
    Top Bottom