Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HALFTIME!!

As with most years, would've liked to seen more bills get a committee hearing but we have a couple solid bills making it out of the House and on the way to the Senate.

HB 1323 Information privacy relating to firearms by Rep Haggard passed out of the House 81-13. Look for it to be assigned to the Senate Corrections and Criminal Law Committee (Aaron Freeman is the Chair, solid 2A supporter.)

HB 1117 Handgun training for teachers by Jim Lucas passed out of the House 71-24 today. Picked off a couple dems on this one. Look for this one to be in the Senate Education and Career Development Committee.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I am not quite giving up.

I am now writing to the Leadership, asking for floor consideration of 1261 and 1117. It can't hurt, and will bring attention to Bills which this citizen believes should have received more consideration than being ignored at the Committee level.

How soon does the support need ramped up for HB1177 and 1323, and who gets the attention?

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Just tell all the legislators to carefully read the 2nd Amendment in plain English and then get it into their thick skulls to keep their hands OFF the 2nd Amendment. Period!!!

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

Don’t know exactly where this should be posted, so move or delete if necessary.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I am not quite giving up.

I am now writing to the Leadership, asking for floor consideration of 1261 and 1117. It can't hurt, and will bring attention to Bills which this citizen believes should have received more consideration than being ignored at the Committee level.

How soon does the support need ramped up for HB1177 and 1323, and who gets the attention?
    Both 1177 and 1323 are showing referred to the Senate. After 1st reading they will be assigned to committee. At that point we go cleared hot (pun intended) on the committee chairs.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Don’t know exactly where this should be posted, so move or delete if necessary.
    I think this is right where it needs to be.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    SB358

Fox 59 Report

Gun Safety Bill. As stated in the report the video of that child with a gun in Greenwood has provided an opening for Gun Control action (or at least that's what the Dems are hoping).

Qaddoura said the coverage and attention on the video of the Beech Grove child has brought an increased emphasis to the topic.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB358

Fox 59 Report

Gun Safety Bill. As stated in the report the video of that child with a gun in Greenwood has provided an opening for Gun Control action (or at least that's what the Dems are hoping).
    Bill is assigned to Corrections and Criminal Law Committee with Aaron Freeman as the Chair. Not scheduled for hearing, 21 Feb hearing bills are up now.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well that silly SB77 throwing stars thing made it to the house, and now has a house co sponsor.

I guess I need to hire a lawyer to set some trust, or entity up to designate my back yard as a throwing lane.

I feel like we are replacing a silly law, with an ever sillier law.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Of the two HB 1365, seems to have legs... Passed the house, and went to the senate.

Seems short compared to other bills

IC 35-31.5; IC 35-47. Synopsis: Machine guns. Revises, for purposes of an enhancement and certain criminal offenses, a definition of "machine gun". Provides that particular criminal offenses concerning machine guns shall not be construed to apply to persons possessing machine guns or other items not required to be registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record maintained by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Makes a conforming amendment.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The two bills we are watching passed the house, had their first reading in the Senate, and were referred to committees today.

House bill, 1323 information, privacy relating to firearms, has been assigned to the corrections in criminal law committee.

House bill, 1177, handgun training for teachers, had its first reading, and was referred to the education and career development committee.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Am I the only one that's concerned that the rush to "crackdown on gun modifications" will get so carried away that simple sights, trigger upgrades and such will somehow be affected? I'm also curious to see how bill 1177 fares. Specifically the training aspects. How much, by whom and is/will it be school specific or school district specific...

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Am I the only one that's concerned that the rush to "crackdown on gun modifications" will get so carried away that simple sights, trigger upgrades and such will somehow be affected? I'm also curious to see how bill 1177 fares. Specifically the training aspects. How much, by whom and is/will it be school specific or school district specific...
    I share your concern on the crackdowns MD.

As far as HB 1177, the bill text is in the link below. The specific training (designed by Indiana Law Enforcement Academy Instructors) is in the text.

Local control is a big part of this.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Next Tuesday 7 March. My Dad has a VERY early Doc appointment that day. I’m hoping I can make it by 1000
    Long story short: Dad's appointment ran long so I was in Plainfield at 1000 instead of at the Statehouse.

In other news: HB 1323 passed out of committee 6-0. One excused, two just no showed evidentially, peeled off one D in the shut out.

Now to get 1177 a hearing.

Top Bottom