• ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I guess I need to get a Sam's membership again

Not sure if you read my post or not but on friday I bought a full packer from GFS for 2.49 a lb. I got a 13lb'er for $33.14 dollars out the door. That's a damn good price. It required a little extra trimming but was freaking delicious cooked. They had 10 or so at the 86th and michigan rd store.

My previous brisket was from sam's and was a full packer. It was select and came at a good price. I will say that where I can usually go about 3-4 hours before spritzing this select cut I barely got 1.5 hours. The brisket still turned out awesome but required more care than usual.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    So I picked up the packer brisket while in Hill City, SD(2.99/lb.).
    Was at Sams a couple weeks ago, it was 2.59/lb. Just went i there today....4.69/lb.! (if memory serves me right, at least within .10/lb)

So this weekend I got together with some of my imaginary internet friends in Kentucky for an all day fun shoot. The wife and I volunteered to host supper, as we did last year. On the menu was smoked pork shoulder and the flat that I cut off the brisket, plus all the trimmings.
    I didn't have time to smoke anything ahead of time, so I took the Bradley down and did it that day. Two hours into the smoke... "Hey Gunner, where's the fire extinguisher?" Yup, major catostrophic fail.

https://imgur.com/nxbQ7w9

https://imgur.com/aQRQpmk
    aQRQpmk.jpg

https://imgur.com/CxCkeiK

I have no clue what happened.
    Fortunately, I caught it in time and was able to salvage the meat.
    Unfortunately, it was my Dad's smoker. So now I need to replace it.

I was able to finish the shoulder and brisket in some counter-top cookers, and supper went off without a hitch.
    Didn't get any pictures of the finished goodness.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    So, I have a very large family and have been wanting a dedicated griddle for sometime. I currently had a big Lodge cast-iron griddle right on the burgers of a gas grill which works pretty well but was kind of awkward and was hell on the burners. I had ran across a post that said that select Walmarts were closing out Blackstone 36 inch propane griddles for 100 bucks, and was lucky enough to find one at that price rather than the 300$ retail.

It has changed my life. I had probably 100 bell peppers that I picked before the first frost, so I just sautéed up a bunch to freeze can use over the winter.

L9IYPk.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The day I bought it, Kroger had T-bones for 5.99 a pound and lobster tails miss marked for five dollars a pound. They were willing to honor the mismarked price for the four that were in the case so that was how we broke it in. I started by seasoning it with canola oil and then sauteeing a bunch of onions and mushrooms. Steaks were on the griddle and lobster tails on the grill. We ended up with a steak and lobster dinner for three with sautéed shiitake mushrooms and onions for about 25 bucks total, which I consider a good days work in my ever ongoing quest for discounted meats. The picture doesn't do it justice, but then again I suck as a photographer.

Yq7qef.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    And you haven’t even got into melts and sammiches yet! Flat tops are so versatile.
    I've done steak and shake style smash burgers a couple of times with wonderful results, but can't wait to do the Reuben's on it. They really need to put corned beef on sale again so I can smoke up a couple and slice thin to make Reuben's...

I also love to dry brine shrimp in 1:4 baking soda/kosher salt and then griddle with garlic and chives butter. Kroger had a bunch of 1 pound bags of extra large pink gulf shrimp on manager special which I stocked up on, but at the rate I'm going I'm going to run out soon.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    How about a review on the Blackstone? I’ve been wanting a griddle, but this particular model has a bunch of up and down reviews as to build quality and grease drainage?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I believe that Blackstone griddle is on Groupon right now (special thru today) for $139. It was in my email this morning.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    How about a review on the Blackstone? I’ve been wanting a griddle, but this particular model has a bunch of up and down reviews as to build quality and grease drainage?
    I can do that, I am making fajitas on it tonight and will try and get some relevant pictures. The quick and dirty for those considering the Groupon that mom 45 posted, is that I find the build quality to be good/excellent, and the grease system to be fair as it comes. I did a simple modifications to my grease system and it now works much better. I will probably further modified as not having drippings on my garage floor is very important to me. I would give it a four out of five stars, with a star lost for the stock grease system.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom