• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Picked up a package of pre-seasoned St Louis style ribs from Costco this afternoon. Didn't have time to let them roll nice and low so they got just short of three hours between 300*-325* then I foil wrapped them with some apple juice for an hour. After the hour they got a light coat of BBQ sauce and a quick sear to carmelize. Turned out really well, much better than I expected. The wife and I agreed that we may have paid for our last rack of baby backs. Two full racks was $21.50 seasoned and ready to go but they do not remove the membrane, I had to do that myself. Got most of it off but not all.

85616F10-9A3F-40F2-AE68-C54158F1731E_zpse5g1g0ge.jpg

5BC7816A-7389-493F-A817-E69EB67F468B_zpsuugugrgq.jpg

Made some homemade slaw with red wine vinegar and some radishes thrown in. Good stuff.

4FA799E4-CCD4-4DD5-AF51-1D7837D0ED13_zpsj4koxvx4.jpg

Have to remember to stop by Costco on the way home tomorrow and give those a try!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Put a new gasket on the egg yesterday and adjusted the bands. It rained a bit last night so I've had a low fire going for the past few hours to dry out the new gasket, hopefully the adhesive holds. I'll stoke it up here in a bit, gonna try to reverse sear some burgers and see how they turn out.

The GFS brisket I picked up yesterday is trimmed, rubbed and ready to go on the smoker tomorrow afternoon for dinner Sunday.

7E9D8A82-541F-41EA-A9CC-FB6429FC44DE_zpsabdyyufl.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Put a new gasket on the egg yesterday and adjusted the bands. It rained a bit last night so I've had a low fire going for the past few hours to dry out the new gasket, hopefully the adhesive holds. I'll stoke it up here in a bit, gonna try to reverse sear some burgers and see how they turn out.

The GFS brisket I picked up yesterday is trimmed, rubbed and ready to go on the smoker tomorrow afternoon for dinner Sunday.

Hopefully, there is still some fat cap on the other side? That looks pretty lean trimmed to me!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The other side has between 1/8" & 1/4" layer of fat, I'll cook it fat side up. I haven't done a ton of briskets so I don't have my technique perfected just yet. I decided to trim this one up pretty lean and go light on the rub, we'll see how it turns out.

Mesquite smoked, reverse seared burgers and home made kettle chips for dinner. I devoured mine before I thought to snap a pic so I took one of the leftover patty. I'm stuffed....

If anyone is looking for good ground beef for burgers, I haven't found any I like better than the pre portioned (big portions) packages at Costco. You have to form the patties but its worth the effort. I won't use it for burgers once it's been frozen but we grab it the day before or day of and its really good stuff. It looses a lot of flavor once frozen so the excess goes into chili or tacos.

B626C007-47B7-4FD1-B638-0F14A4DFF6E8_zpsnyfwedpt.jpg

A50EBAFA-4CDA-45E4-8BF6-6F2F46B51911_zpsxnnpymmw.jpg

17F6CD45-F764-4E54-BD60-CBCAEE403F75_zpsyub1kkso.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The other side has between 1/8" & 1/4" layer of fat, I'll cook it fat side up. I haven't done a ton of briskets so I don't have my technique perfected just yet. I decided to trim this one up pretty lean and go light on the rub, we'll see how it turns out.

Mesquite smoked, reverse seared burgers and home made kettle chips for dinner. I devoured mine before I thought to snap a pic so I took one of the leftover patty. I'm stuffed....

If anyone is looking for good ground beef for burgers, I haven't found any I like better than the pre portioned (big portions) packages at Costco. You have to form the patties but its worth the effort. I won't use it for burgers once it's been frozen but we grab it the day before or day of and its really good stuff. It looses a lot of flavor once frozen so the excess goes into chili or tacos.

Looks marvelous! Glad to hear the meat was fat cap down, you really need it for the time it takes for a brisket! I, right or wrong, season the hell out of the fat cap, as I THINK it adds flavor to the rest of the cut as it melts?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Mah mah mah, that is a tasty burger! I haven't made kettle chips in a long time but now you have me thinking about it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Phylo where do you find the time to do ANYTHING else?

I haven't been doing a whole lot else for the past couple months. Stuck home recovering from the second surgery to my left shoulder in a year. I've got plenty of time to plan what to cook. I'm anxious to get back to work but the healing is taking forever.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I haven't been doing a whole lot else for the past couple months. Stuck home recovering from the second surgery to my left shoulder in a year. I've got plenty of time to plan what to cook. I'm anxious to get back to work but the healing is taking forever.
    MOAR push ups and pull ups!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I grilled frog legs for the first time this week....Excellent...Wrapped in bacon and about 7 minutes on each side then let them stew indirect for a few...

Recipe:

Frog legs (from Kroger)
    Butter and olive oil with seasoning of choice
    slather legs with above, then add more seasoning
    wrap in bacon, secure bacon with toothpick
    place over coals, cook and enjoy......

Bourbon optional...(But it helps when grilling in cold weather:))

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

What time are we eating that brisket? And what should I bring? Creamy mac & cheese, baked beans (southern style of course), tater salad, greens or slaw?? Lol
    Just keep it moist. Maybe get a spray bottle with some apple juice to spritz it occasionally or put some in a drip pan so the steam will help it stay moist. Don't be afraid to give that fat cap plenty of rub it will add flavor as it cooks and will get mostly cut away later anyway. What kind of wood you using?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I smoked what started out as a 17 pounder (before trimming) last weekend, for a family gathering. Had hoped it would be big enough to pack a sammich for lunch but there was nothing left. Smoked it over mesquite and white oak.
    Picked up some porkloin and a shoulder yesterday. But not sure when I will smoke it. After learning to smoke my own meat it is next to impossible to go out to dinner and get good Q. Usually it's either too dry, under smoked, or they try to cover up something with too much sauce

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What time are we eating that brisket? And what should I bring? Creamy mac & cheese, baked beans (southern style of course), tater salad, greens or slaw?? Lol
    Just keep it moist. Maybe get a spray bottle with some apple juice to spritz it occasionally or put some in a drip pan so the steam will help it stay moist. Don't be afraid to give that fat cap plenty of rub it will add flavor as it cooks and will get mostly cut away later anyway. What kind of wood you using?

I picked up a couple of bourbon barrel staves last year, I'm going to cut a few chunks and use that so this one will get white oak smoke. The best brisket I've ever had (Texas) was smoked over white oak so hopefully it turns out well.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I picked up a couple of bourbon barrel staves last year, I'm going to cut a few chunks and use that so this one will get white oak smoke. The best brisket I've ever had (Texas) was smoked over white oak so hopefully it turns out well.
    I've never been able to smoke with oak, it's always imparted too harsh a flavor to me? It also takes forever to get the smell out of my smoker!

Top Bottom