• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Finished product looks delicious but the before doesn't look like you used very much rub.
    Last time I smoked a pork butt, i rubbed it the night before, and again right before I put it on the smoker. It turned out way too salty. So this time I just rubbed it the night before and thats it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been leaning more toward a lighter rub on butts for the past year, no complaints from the family and I like it better.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Anyone else into smoked salts and peppers? I absolutely love the taste added and find I can use 1/3 as much and still get the flavor and taste, win/win.

Am I the only one that loves East/Central Texas pepper bark?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just popped two 9lb butts on the Egg for a deal tomorrow at my bar, I always forget the pics whilst I'm in the middle of prepping everything? While that is going, I'll be Traegering tonight's dinner BBQ chicken breast (YUCK! But wifey said so!), potatoes, peppers and onions, and roastin' ears.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Did four briskets, totaling right at 50 pounds, last weekend for a friends daughter's bat mitzvah. Here are three of them getting the trim and rub treatment, you can see the sous vide going in the background with the fourth one in it.

3wDmHp.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I forgot to take pictures once I sliced it, I was kind of nervous since I'm not used to cooking brisket for groups of 50 or so people, especially when it's a lot of people that I don't know. Pork shoulder is easy but I always worry with brisket. All in all it came out really well, only about four or so or so pounds were left at the end of the night and everyone seemed really happy with it.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Here is the same one going into the cooler. It was different from the straight smoked ones, very good but a different texture and somewhat different flavor.
    0rZo5E.jpg

Looks good. I have always been tempted to do a sous vide brisket (since I don't have a smoker) and was wondering how they turned out. Was it still good, or just not the same as a smoked one?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Looks good. I have always been tempted to do a sous vide brisket (since I don't have a smoker) and was wondering how they turned out. Was it still good, or just not the same as a smoked one?
    Still really good, it has a firmer texture but still really tender and juicy. The smoke ring isn't as pronounced obviously since it is pretty much cooked before it hits the smoker but you still get a decent bit of smoke flavor off the four or so hours it sat over Hickory apple and Mulberry. I wouldn't call it superior to a solid smoker brisket, but it is certainly a heck of a lot easier. I would call it superior to a lot of what passes for smoked brisket out there.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom