• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Since eliminating school gfz is unlikely, how about making the children's museum a non-gfz?

Heck, I would go for an intermediate option of if teachers passed the police qualification for record we could carry at school. Any school.

If leaps and bounds won't work, baby steps. That is the antigunner thought ... Use it against them.

LastShot123

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 31, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I would like to see college campuses allow cc. Especially iupui, being downtown and on the west part of the city, it is close to some pretty shady areas. It's gotten a lot nicer since the days when you wouldn't think about walking down indiana Avenue after sunset but the students are just sitting ducks for bad guys with bad intentions.. there is a student group on campus that spreads good information around and has been pushing this for awhile but they can only do so much.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Constitutional carry.
    School zones not restricted any longer, even specific carry only would be okay with me.
    Unrestricting court buildings and restricting it to just court rooms if you absolutely HAVE to have courts restricted.
    Preemption language for state schools.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I would like to see college campuses allow cc. Especially iupui, being downtown and on the west part of the city, it is close to some pretty shady areas. It's gotten a lot nicer since the days when you wouldn't think about walking down indiana Avenue after sunset but the students are just sitting ducks for bad guys with bad intentions.. there is a student group on campus that spreads good information around and has been pushing this for awhile but they can only do so much.

That isn't a state issue, that is a school issue.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Since eliminating school gfz is unlikely, how about making the children's museum a non-gfz?

How about we just make anyone with a valid LTCH an exemption to the school property ban?

Professor S.J. Heyman, Chicago-Kent CoL: "If one cannot repeal a law, then riddle it with exemptions until it falls."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I like all of these. Another tweak that I believe Tennessee got through their legislature is that any state owned property -- more specifically state parks, vendors or renters that rent the state property are prohibited from implementing a no-guns policy or rule. That may be what edlirector is talking about in 1c.
    Just coming back around to this thread.

I'll have to check out TN's code. That may be exactly what I'm looking for. Though, it should read "arms", not "firearms/guns". The State comes right out and says it has no say in the tools I use to defend myself or others (or even the State), and then goes on to regulate them individually.

Now that my little girl is in "school", Indiana's loose definition of "school" is driving me batty. They need to drop the "rented or owned in kind", and be VERY clear on where the line is. If my government tells me I can't do something, they had better be very clear on what that "something" is. No wiggle room, and no interpretation needed. Fixing the old "rolling school zone" was a step in the right direction. Let's take another.

Of course, I will admit: my real goal is to neatly define "school", and then strike 35-47-9-1 (a) (3) (B), (5) (B), and all of (b) and (c).

HawgdawgLS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    US
    How about we just make anyone with a valid LTCH an exemption to the school property ban?

Professor S.J. Heyman, Chicago-Kent CoL: "If one cannot repeal a law, then riddle it with exemptions until it falls."

How about an exemption for being on school property within a public right of way?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I commented a few years ago (before the school exemption from last year) about the unjustness of ambulance crews not being legally able to carry because if called to a school, we would be instant felons. Someone suggested adding EMTs and medics to the exemption list (LEOs) in the law, and I said that I didn't want an exemption that still disallowed others. If it passed, I'd likely take advantage of it, but I didn't and don't want to be a "special class"... I want freedom and liberty for all peaceable citizens.

If your intent is peaceable, I don't know of any good reason you should be disallowed from carry of a firearm.

We can push for exemptions, but at the same time, I think we should push for repeal of bad laws. The exemption route is a fallback, not a primary strategy. IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No reason why we can't use the liberal "compromise" tactic. Ask for the moon, accept low-earth orbit. Ask again for the moon, accept geo-synchronous orbit. Ask again, accept lunar orbit. And then keep "compromising". Eventually, we will have the moon, and can reach for the stars.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

this.

But it I also want FULL CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY!! I demand it as my God given right! Not one more damn inch!

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I commented a few years ago (before the school exemption from last year) about the unjustness of ambulance crews not being legally able to carry because if called to a school, we would be instant felons. Someone suggested adding EMTs and medics to the exemption list (LEOs) in the law, and I said that I didn't want an exemption that still disallowed others. If it passed, I'd likely take advantage of it, but I didn't and don't want to be a "special class"... I want freedom and liberty for all peaceable citizens.

If your intent is peaceable, I don't know of any good reason you should be disallowed from carry of a firearm.

We can push for exemptions, but at the same time, I think we should push for repeal of bad laws. The exemption route is a fallback, not a primary strategy. IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

That was my request: the exemption for EMS and fire. I will say, if we have been called to a school, we can now leave it in the vehicle. Not ideal, nor practical, but it's more than what it used to be. A "compromise" by the liberals.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But it I also want FULL CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY!! I demand it as my God given right! Not one more damn inch!

Not tracking. We haven't given anything up. We are moving the ball forward. First downs or touchdowns, I don't care, but forward it must and is moving.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Not tracking. We haven't given anything up. We are moving the ball forward. First downs or touchdowns, I don't care, but forward it must and is moving.

Kirk, with respect, I think he's referring to what we HAVE given up, such as NFA 34 and GCA 68, the requirement of a LTCH to carry at all off one's own property, etc. I see what you mean about us moving forward and righting those wrongs, slowly, but to say that we've given up nothing just simply ignores all of those paradigm shifts that have turned up the water temperature over the years, one or two degrees at a time.

I do agree with you that we've been successively turning the water temperature back down... it's almost comfortable. Almost. A few more changes and we'll be there... Constitutional Carry is a big one, as is the removal of all GFZs at the state or lower levels. I can think of a few others, but those will make the biggest difference, I think.

Shall sign comes to mind, or even your prospect of above the line deductions for training, safe purchases, etc. Maybe we could push for those to be deductions from the state income tax? (of course, that *would* tell the .gov who has guns, tantamount to a registry...)

Blessings,
    Bill

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I had occasion to speak to representative Doug Miller today regarding voting/annexation issue in my area (long story), and before the call ended I brought up Constitutional carry in the next session. His response was very positive and he stated that it is certain to come up again this time and the political winds are even more favorable than last session. He assured me that the handful of votes that kept it from going to a full vote before are not likely to be as influential this time around.

Let's all hope that he's right, and let's keep up the grassroots pressure.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, with respect, I think he's referring to what we HAVE given up, such as NFA 34 and GCA 68,

Those are federal statutes and we are discussing the Indiana General Assembly. Still not tracking.

We have had victory after victory in Indiana and people are running around the conference room table over compromise which has not taken place? I appreciate their passion but fail to see the relevance.

the requirement of a LTCH to carry at all off one's own property

Well, if the Koch brother let me use their time machine so I can go back to 1934, sure, we can do something about it.

I have been attempting to repeal it since 1996 when myself and 3 other people in Indiana voted for Rex Early. But we haven't compromised anything. Maybe we are not making progress faster enough but as long as we are moving forward that is important.

Shall sign comes to mind, or even your prospect of above the line deductions for training, safe purchases, etc. Maybe we could push for those to be deductions from the state income tax? (of course, that *would* tell the .gov who has guns, tantamount to a registry...)

The courts cannot go where the culture has not.

The point about tax deductions for safes and training classes (and, yes, of course, they would be state deductions, above the line) is that they move the culture to guns. If you want to make something live forever, make it a governmental program. Making guns tax deductions makes them an everlasting part of the culture.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    No reason why we can't use the liberal "compromise" tactic. Ask for the moon, accept low-earth orbit. Ask again for the moon, accept geo-synchronous orbit. Ask again, accept lunar orbit. And then keep "compromising". Eventually, we will have the moon, and can reach for the stars.

INGO wouldn't accept. They want it all and they want it now. Inch-worm advancement is not acceptable.

Top Bottom