Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Maybe I'm just cynical, but do they ever not send a form letter (other than not sending a reply at all)?

I got an email from a legislative aide after one I sent, where my senator wanted to have a chat. The senator and I talked on the phone for about an hour, one Sunday afternoon.

I've talked with Rep. Lucas a few times as well, and written with several others, among them Eric Koch and Jim Tomes... Solid men. Those are the good experiences. I also got an email from Evan Bayh's office including a line to the effect of, "...I've always been a strong supporter of the Second Amendment...", to which I replied, identifying specific votes the Senator had made that were expressly opposing the 2A, and called him out on the inherent falsehood of that statement. I got a note back, ostensibly from Mr. Bayh himself, though I doubt it was. It began with, "I'm sorry you didn't like my answer..."

I dropped it at that point, as I considered it futile to point out that it's not that I didn't like the reply, rather "YOU F***ING LIED TO ME!"

Worst, though, was a face-to-face conversation with Sen. Ron Alting, in which he promised to support a bill from Sen. Johnny Nugent that would have eliminated ALL GFZs other than federally mandated, within Indiana. This was followed at the end of the session by a series of emails in which I asked Mr. Alting to explain the fact that he promised support, but was one of (I think three?) senators on the GOP side to not vote for that bill. Initially, he said, "Well, you weren't there on the Senate floor during deliberations.." Oops. See, because I was watching on the webcam broadcast, and quoted to him several comments made there to prove it. He then changed his reply, and if memory serves, his issue then was that we didn't need a bunch of high school seniors carrying guns to school, for the bill would not have prevented that. Again, I refuted this, because Sen. Nugent had promised in open session that he would get a change made to prevent that. His integrity was questioned on the floor, and the bill was voted down. Finally, Sen. Alting changed his story again, and this time, it was, "I voted as a parent, not as a legislator." Big oops. "That's a shame, because you were elected as a legislator, not as a father." He then said we had nothing left to discuss.

So... yes, they do sometimes send personal replies... You just need to be aware of what you may get back when you receive one. Those latter two made me want to go take a shower.

Blessings,
    Bill

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Sure. If he cared to have them.

Form letter... is anyone answering it?

Blessings,
    Bill

I responded, but too late, last year. I invited Speaker Bosma to an Appleseed.
    As I'm on of the few "split" between the programs ... not sure if I'll invite him to an AS or RR nearby.
    I did get a phone call, from a senior aide, telling me that they were unable to fit this into his schedule.

Was going to do this w/ Dermody but the scheduling wasn't panning out.

Oh - and I did get the same form letter or close.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    How many legislative sessions will it take for them to find time to hold these super-important discussions about the policy of the State considering law-abiding citizens to be felons merely for exercising a constitutionally protected, natural right?

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    How many legislative sessions will it take for them to find time to hold these super-important discussions about the policy of the State considering law-abiding citizens to be felons merely for exercising a constitutionally protected, natural right?

As many as are found when attempting to calculate to the last digit the value of Pi.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    What pro 2A stuff actually passed this time, Bill? Did we actually get something good past Dermody?

Well - with the NFA changes it is more or less "Moot" as I understand it (I haven't ventured into NFA stuff ... YET ... too po' fo' dat)
    but

HB 1085 makes CLEO sign off - "SHALL ISSUE" - should the rules stay/get changed etc. ... As I understand it with NFA rules (non-law red tape) ...
    this become more of a 'feel good' law enactment as the CLEO sign off goes away in July or August ...

BUT HEY - Dermody gave it a hearing - (whatever)

and

HB 1231 which - I wrote to opposed based on "Technical Language and Crappy Wording" - but after listening to the senate testimony on opposing it
    (don't ... not advised ... unless you've taken your blood pressure / anti-siezure meds) ... I would say is still a small step forward ...

I didn't feel like the Gov Watch needed to be in the other thread - it applies to a lot more and really - the other thread "SHOULD" be here in this sub forum as much as it also belongs in the great out doors forum ...

that's about it. ... meh. ... now to figure out where State Sens and State Reps stand and who's being challenged in the primaries ... but that's a whole other subforum. ... and really just as important (and perhaps impotent) as the POTUS carps.

ars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    Zionsville
    Keep up the good work on holding our politicians accountable. There is so much garbage in our legislative session and many of us simply don't have the smarts or time to weed through it all. Post like these keep us informed.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Keep up the good work on holding our politicians accountable. There is so much garbage in our legislative session and many of us simply don't have the smarts or time to weed through it all. Post like these keep us informed.

Thanks for the kind words. It's actual mid-November, so time for the 2017 thread to be started and this one closed, which I'm just about to do.

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom