• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm looking pretty hard at buying a new F-150 this fall. I know basically what I'm after, but I'm curious to see what happens on the prices of the remaining 2016's when the 2017's hit the dealerships as they'll be coming with a new second-generation 3.5L Ecoboost V6TT as well as a new 10-speed transmission.

A co-worker recently bought a '16 with the 2.7L TT V6 and 6 speed transmission, and it would be more than suitable for my needs.

Anyone else paying attention to these or recently buy a 2015-16 F-150? I'm leaning towards Andy Mohr as they seem to have the best prices in the area (from looking online.)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    From what I've heard, the turbo motors are OK for moderate speeds and minimal towing, essentially seldom using the truck as a truck. When lightly loaded they are no less efficient than alternatives but when even moderately loaded they chug fuel.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    From what I've heard, the turbo motors are OK for moderate speeds and minimal towing, essentially seldom using the truck as a truck. When lightly loaded they are no less efficient than alternatives but when even moderately loaded they chug fuel.

This is the main reason, along with massive amounts of fuel in the oil at early mileage. Keep the oil changed and don't try to do extended drains on the oil.

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have a 2015 F-150 Eco. I have pulled skidsteers, minis, a camper with just over 5000#. Not a problem at all. But I have been pulling stuff since I was 14. I have the 2.7. It gets fantastic fuel mileage as well. I recently went to Garlinburg and got around 24 mpg.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My dad just bought a 16 but with a V8. It's a lariat I believe and it's everything I'd want in a truck. I saw no reason to go king ranch or platinum honestly. He doesn't pull much with it but a boat a few times a year and a trailer from time to time. I think it's a fantastic daily driver.
    A friend of mine also has a 2016 he just got after trading in his 2015 (his work gives him a new one every 6 months) and so from both of those the biggest complaint was in the '15 he had was the truck shutting off at stoplights. For best fuel savings the motor would just kick off at a stop light and things. He personally hated it, but different strokes I'm sure, and it all depends on the options chosen, his new one doesn't have it.

I have no idea what will happen to them when the 17's come out but vehicles are dropping in value every day no matter what.

Personally if I were buying something with lots of bells and whistles I really like the Ford trucks and I suspect that'd be my choice. But I am really in love with the Chevy/GMC trucks with their interior and their look also.

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I also have the auto shut off, at first it bothered me but I have left it in and have grown used to it. I would think that it would hard on the starter and other parts but I guess this is why they are engineers and I'm a public servant.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple

My 2011 super crew 3.5 ecoboost 3.73 rear doesn't chug fuel at moderate loads. I have got over 16 mph pulling #4000 in an inclosed trailer doing 70 mph. Usually get 13 to 14 mpg with same trailer. I also averaged 22 mpg at 80 mph with 4 people with luggage on a 2000 mile trip.

This is way better than my 5.4 which would get 10-11 with trailer or 14 empty, both highway.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Mine doesn't chug fuel. 5800 pound trailer dry. Add in all the camping gear and a family of 5 stuff, with a wife that doesn't understand we are only going to be gone for 3 days. Last trip I averaged 13mph at 70. You won't be disappointed with the F-150.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Shopping too. Down to the f150 or Dodge with a hemi. Both do well and I have spoke to several guys that haul good size campers and are happy with mpg and power
    Most would not know that it was a v-8. The hemi drops out 4 cylinders on the hiway gets in the 22-23 MPG. Selling our pilot and moving to another truck. Wife needs to pull a 2 horse trailer.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Mine doesn't chug fuel. 5800 pound trailer dry. Add in all the camping gear and a family of 5 stuff, with a wife that doesn't understand we are only going to be gone for 3 days. Last trip I averaged 13mph at 70. You won't be disappointed with the F-150.
    13MPH your wife is a smart lady knowing it will usually take long than 3 days to get somewhere going that speed.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have a 2015 F150 2WD, extended cab, 6.5 ' bed, camper shell. 2.7 Ecoboost getting 22-23 MPG around Indy. I don't tow anything and the loads I put in it are maybe 500-600 lbs. What surprised me is the acceleration this tiny motor can generate. Put it in "Sport" mode and the throttle response is impressive. It also has a "Tow/Haul" mode which holds each gear longer. IIRC Ford calls it 325 HP and 375 lb ft of torque. No problems at 20K miles including trips to CO and SD. It looks like the stupid commercial war is raging right now. If somebody tried to dump a load of big rocks in the bed of my truck (ala Chevy's commercial), we'd have an issue no matter the make! :):

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have a 2015 F150 2WD, extended cab, 6.5 ' bed, camper shell. 2.7 Ecoboost getting 22-23 MPG around Indy. I don't tow anything and the loads I put in it are maybe 500-600 lbs. What surprised me is the acceleration this tiny motor can generate. Put it in "Sport" mode and the throttle response is impressive. It also has a "Tow/Haul" mode which holds each gear longer. IIRC Ford calls it 325 HP and 375 lb ft of torque. No problems at 20K miles including trips to CO and SD. It looks like the stupid commercial war is raging right now. If somebody tried to dump a load of big rocks in the bed of my truck (ala Chevy's commercial), we'd have an issue no matter the make! :):

Sport mode is super fun!!! Also the livewire tuner is well worth the money.

Top Bottom