• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I dont understand the comment that slug shotguns are unsafe... I have hunted deer for nearly 30 years without incident. While a person can act safely or unsafely, firearms are only as safe as the user, dont ya know.

Maybe overstating things just a bit, but it's well established with testing that rifled slugs have a tendency to ricochet pretty violently when they strike the ground at a shallow angle, as is typical while hunting and missing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Maybe overstating things just a bit, but it's well established with testing that rifled slugs have a tendency to ricochet pretty violently when they strike the ground at a shallow angle, as is typical while hunting and missing.

"Know your target, and what lies beyond it"
    Seems pretty safe to me.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    "Know your target, and what lies beyond it"
    Seems pretty safe to me.

Naturally
    However, the whine of the now tumbling slug and possibility of resulting unpredictable behavior certainly don't do much to create a sense of security, particularly when hunting on someone else's land with permission when he happens to be outside to hear the ricochet.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I'm assuming that by "dangerous slug guns" he was being facetious, using it as a parody of everyone claiming that rifles to hunt deer would be unreasonably dangerous, when in fact the well-documented "ricochet" of a shotgun slug makes them arguably (though barely) the more dangerous hunting gun.

Although with any gun, basic safety laws are the key to safety.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm assuming that by "dangerous slug guns" he was being facetious, using it as a parody of everyone claiming that rifles to hunt deer would be unreasonably dangerous, when in fact the well-documented "ricochet" of a shotgun slug makes them arguably (though barely) the more dangerous hunting gun.

Yep, pretty much.
    You'd be surprised, and not in a good way, by just how many regulars right here in INGO were and are against centerfires for deer.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Yep, pretty much.
    You'd be surprised, and not in a good way, by just how many regulars right here in INGO were and are against centerfires for deer.

Yup. When it was under review and a thread came up regarding it, I was extremely disappointed. I expected it would be welcomed by the gun enthusiasts here, but the comments sounded more like a MDA forum. :(

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

Yes, it was a facetious statement. The well documented slug ricochet, coupled with the fact that I hear far more 3rd and 4th shots here in Indiana than in rifle friendly Kentucky, has lead me to use the Fudd argument against them, but with a bit more truth behind it.

nickatnight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Shelbyville
    Ok. I'll buy that. I hunt on private property with my dad only, so luckily I'm the only soul within a square mile. Also, I don't miss with my Remington 870.

Top Bottom