• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    New here. I am not a believer that 2012 is the end of days. There may be some solar possibility that makes some sense, but not the rest or at least not like the movie. But just in case of some other things, snow ins, earthquikes, tornado like 2008, civil unrest, or the potential of grids down do to whatever, I decided to stock up on things like many of the posts I have read here and other places.

To my point. I went to Sams club in Columbus to do some recon on stuff and costs. I uncovered this. Again, not a subscriber to 2012. When checking the longevity of expiration dates, I found it interesting that everything I looked at, except rice which I forgot to look at, only made it until Sept 2012. Odd. Maybe there are limits to how long they can mark or claim items are good for, i don't know. But I did find it intersting.:dunno:

Anyone noticed this or have ideas of why? Again, just a curious mind....

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Generally speaking expiration dates on canned goods are not really applicable. As long as the can is intact and not bulged or damaged, most canned goods stay edible for years. Flavors and nutrition will degrade over time, but the safety and calorie value remain. Manufacturers will usually mark an expiration date 18-24 months ahead to both give retailers sell by dates and to ensure the consumer uses a product that somewhat resembles what went in as far as nutrition and flavor goes.

Dry goods kept dry and protected from insects/rodents/etc will remain good for decades. Sell by dates are usually there to ensure it remains dry enough (they will absorb moisture through the plastic) during that time.

Goods like cereals and the like have shorter sell by dates because they go stale (though still edible) more quickly.

Don't read anything into the 2012 expiration dates.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    According to some info I found, the Mayans did the calenders according to some kind of lunar or solar cycles, which are composed of a large number of years per cycle.

They were fanatic about math, and these cycles, and when they started a calender they run it through the end of these cycles. 2012 happens to be the end of what ever cycle they were dealing with, and to start a calender past 2012 would have been a very large project.

Point is, they completed a calender out centuries past their current time, and felt that they had other things to do besides putting together another calender that would take a long time and great effort to complete.

Ill see you guys in 2012.... ;)

syntax357

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Syracuse, Indiana
    I feel that this whole mayan 2012 thing is just another hype to get sheeple to buy things, look what happend with the y2k thing nothing stopped we are all still here. Does that mean when my calander runs out this year that the world will end? Bad thing is our government probably spent billions of dollars to research it. Something is uncovered by scientist and the whole world goes crazy over it, maybe Im wrong but maybe not. No one can predict the future. Something major happens in the world and people look back and say "It was predicted here" after the fact. If it does happen then I wont have to worry about doing my taxes in 2013. Society today has too much information overload. A story will last for a month on the news. I predict that my alarm will go off and I go to work and it will be just another day in paradise

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Awww CRAP!
    I have a gallon of milk that expires January 21st!!!!!!
    The end is closer than we think!

:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

The end is neer nare noir neigh? :dunno:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    We go with a combination of canned food/MRE's for short term SHTF and rotate them in and out of storage. For longer term we buy the Mountain Home and Provident Pantry freeze dried stuff. Freeze dried has about a thirty year shelf life.

beak7707

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Terre haute area
    Look back in history, there have been end of day scares forever. Somehow though we still manage to be here. I believe the cold war was the closest we've ever been. Thats settled down alot now, but we still have more than enough nukes to do the job.

Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Amen to all!:rockwoot: Just thought is was interesting. Good to know that the can stuff lasts much much longer than the labels. I kind of assumed, but good to know.

On the same note. My father and law came over yesterday for my 8 year olds B-day party. He asked what was with the buckets I had setting out. I told him, he thought I was crazy. Funny, he is the first dude to think I was crazy. Gosh, I thought it was just our wives that thought that!:dunno:

On a more serious note on 2012. If they are right, we all get out of paying 2012 taxes!:+1:
    2012ers.....The only thing saturated in America is STUPIDITY! And if it wasn't for the stupid ones, we wouldn't recognize or appreciate the intellegent ones. Some will go crazy non the less just because, regardless of 2012. That's what the ammo is for:ar15::ar15::ar15:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The only real truth is that we all we end one day. This earth doesn't care what date we call it, and will be here long after everyone of us has met our maker.

As for stocking up on non-perishables, after seeing what is happening in Haiti, it is not a bad idea.

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    As for stocking up on non-perishables, after seeing what is happening in Haiti, it is not a bad idea.

That is the truth.

There are/were other civilizations that also predicted things for 2012, not just the Mayans. Anyway, my way of thinking is this...doomsday is relative. Will 2012 or even tomorrow bring about the end of all life on this planet..doubtful.

But look at Haiti, a lot of people there are experiencing their doomsday right now. What if the New Madrid fault had a big one here, or a severe weather event or even a terrorist attack. Doomsday doesn't have to be a global event!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm not sure about the 2012 thing either. It could happen.

My take on it is this.

If you prep for it, and nothing happens, you have lots of preps for other tragedies. If you don't prep for it and save your money and it does happen, your money is no good anyways.

Now, as far as degrees of disaster. If its end of the world completely, it doesn't matter. If its just a bad disaster, you're likely going to need a lot of preps to make it through.

So why not prep?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm not sure about the 2012 thing either. It could happen.

My take on it is this.

If you prep for it, and nothing happens, you have lots of preps for other tragedies. If you don't prep for it and save your money and it does happen, your money is no good anyways.

Now, as far as degrees of disaster. If its end of the world completely, it doesn't matter. If its just a bad disaster, you're likely going to need a lot of preps to make it through.

So why not prep?

Prepping is never a bad idea. It does not have to be the end of days.
    Anyone remember the ice storms we had in the early 90's?
    There were some out of power for close to a month IIRC.

Oh well, all for not. It's the 21st and my milk expires today.
    Going to go home now and kiss the wife and kids goodbye. It's been real, take care.

Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Ok, you're prepped and ready. But the disaster, regardless of type, requires or best option is to evacuate. What's the plan? Load it up? I have thought about this and it makes my head hurt..........

Ideas?

tom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    All the signs are there,we were awarded a superbowl in 2012 lol. Couldnt help myself. I dont believe all the hype. guess is doesnt hurt to be prepared.

Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Check out the link below. It's a 16 part timeline to 2012. I watched all 16, dude is dryer than paint but pulls it all together. Very academic and has done his homework. Covers all the angles from religious to prophacetic predictions. I made that last word up:rockwoot:. He takes all the discussions and debates and pulls them together into a make sense timeline. Pretty good actually and gets better as it goes.

Scarry as hell! Should make for some good discussion.

Timeline to 2012 - Conscious Shift Revolution

Later,
    A

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I think it's amazing that the Mayans were able to create a 5000 year calendar based on the movement of stars and that they were just as accurate as our calendar today. The galaxy's alignment during Winter Solistice in Dec of 2012 proves their intellect.

The Mayans are still around today. Interestingly enough, an investigative news show (60 minutes, Dateline, or something...I can't remember) interviewed some Mayans and all they had to say was 12-21-12 would be a rebirth. They are not concerned about impending doom for us all. I think "rebirth" is an interesting term that they used. The birth of a new age, a new 5000 year cycle, makes sense to me.

It's never hurts to be prepared for whatever is in store. I think we have some very scary real world scenarios playing out right now that could have a tangible impact on the world we live in. Dec 21, 2012 is the stuff of Science Fiction. The NWO, our own government trying to bankrupt the US, and war in the Middle East are things to really be concerned about and prepare for, IMO.

Leave the Sci Fi to Hollywood....they are awesome at it!

Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I think it's amazing that the Mayans were able to create a 5000 year calendar based on the movement of stars and that they were just as accurate as our calendar today. The galaxy's alignment during Winter Solistice in Dec of 2012 proves their intellect.

The Mayans are still around today. Interestingly enough, an investigative news show (60 minutes, Dateline, or something...I can't remember) interviewed some Mayans and all they had to say was 12-21-12 would be a rebirth. They are not concerned about impending doom for us all. I think "rebirth" is an interesting term that they used. The birth of a new age, a new 5000 year cycle, makes sense to me.

It's never hurts to be prepared for whatever is in store. I think we have some very scary real world scenarios playing out right now that could have a tangible impact on the world we live in. Dec 21, 2012 is the stuff of Science Fiction. The NWO, our own government trying to bankrupt the US, and war in the Middle East are things to really be concerned about and prepare for, IMO.

Leave the Sci Fi to Hollywood....they are awesome at it!

The guy covers everything you said in the timeline and how it fits and why. Pretty interesting. Indeed the Mayans are pretty incredible. Check out those vids and he ties what you said in but way deeper than I had heard before. Pretty cool!
    A

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I will says that on that day I will be on alert. not awaiting the impending doom
    but there will probably be a contingent of people panicking and having a
    meltdown. Might see some mass suicides, hopefully not but I think I'll stay home.

Top Bottom