• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The House committee members are Rep Torr and Rep Goodin, advised by Reps. Moses, Eberhart, and Speedy

The committee members all 4 have solid, pro-2A records. Polite, civil, and respectful/respectable letters to Sen. Hershman, as the chair of the committee would be well-advised, as would similar letters to the other committee members. Personally, I think mine will urge a return to the original text, adding only the poration about the local units being able to enforce the state law on criminal recklessness with a firearm.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Last nights e-mail from Jim

I just got home from Indy. I'm tired but I want to let you all know what is going on with SB 292 (Preemption).

Since the Indiana House loaded it up with amendments that I cannot accept, I dissented on the measure immediately and the bill now will go to a conference committee.

Normally the author to the bill, which is me, would be assigned the committee chairman. However, in this unusual case the Senate Pro Tem assigned another senator. I was told it's because this is such a high profile bill and I'm a freshman senator he thought it would be better for me to just be an advisor.

Though all of the senators who I've talked to about this were stunned to hear of this. I really am not concerned, perhaps that is the real reason for the decision. What I am concerned about is from this point on I technically no longer have control of my own bill.

Nevertheless, I have been promised that I will have the final say in allowing the bill to proceed after the committee hearing or stop the bill from passing. Wednesday I had the Legislative Service Agency draft me another amendment putting the bill back into it's original language including the language that the Capital Improvement Board of Indianapolis and the representative of the Indianapolis Colts wanted, which was quite acceptable to me.

I don't know what the outcome will be in all of this. I will be very surprised if those on the committee will agree with the version I have. The bottom line for me is if they do not and insist in trying to pass the bill with all of the radio active amendments it now contains, I want to be sure that I can stop this bill so that no one tries to push this off on the citizens of Indiana and insult them by trying to sell it as a good bill.

I want to thank all of you who have stepped up and made the calls and sent e-mails to the Speaker of the House. You may also want to contact Sen. Hershman who has been assigned the committee chairman and urge him to accept my version of my bill.

Thank you all for your assistance,

Jim Tomes

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So should we start the unoffical betting house. What odds should we go with?

<<think classic TV Batman announcer voice>>
    Will the bill pass as originally intended?
    Will the bill pass at all?
    What will become of the freshman senator?

Stay tune until next time on this INGO channel and the same INGO time..

The next week will be the ppppuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrfect storm for this bill.
    ;)
    JulieNewmar-718569.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So should we start the unoffical betting house. What odds should we go with?

<<think classic TV Batman announcer voice>>
    Will the bill pass as originally intended?
    Will the bill pass at all?
    What will become of the freshman senator?

Stay tune until next time on this INGO channel and the same INGO time..

The next week will be the ppppuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrfect storm for this bill.
    ;)
    JulieNewmar-718569.jpg

Probably not.
    Probably so. Think compromise. I'm expecting the courtroom language and the "criminal recklessness with a firearm" language to remain.

I would love to see the courtroom language go away or be limited to the courtroom itself, but while this makes sense, I do not expect it will happen.
    When he returns next session (January), he will no longer be a "freshman" Senator.

And Julie Newmar's only problem as Catwoman was that she had on FAR too much clothing. :naughty:

That is all.

Blessings,
    Bill

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    And Julie Newmar's only problem as Catwoman was that she had on FAR too much clothing. :naughty:
    Agree, and upon closer examination we must ...umm ...forge ahead with rigid firmness to...ummm...uhh...

"... belts shall be worn about the ... and umm..."
    "...all binding and tethering devices shall be of material not less than... nor greater than..."

Oh yeah. FTA: Sent thanks for prior yes votes and urging support for 292 in its original form.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Agree, and upon closer examination we must ...umm ...forge ahead with rigid firmness to...ummm...uhh...

"... belts shall be worn about the ... and umm..."
    "...all binding and tethering devices shall be of material not less than... nor greater than..."

Oh yeah. FTA: Sent thanks for prior yes votes and urging support for 292 in its original form.

Here let me kill the catwoman fantasy so we can keep this thread on topic. This is what she looks like now.

Julie_Newmar.jpg

D**** father time for what he did to her! :D

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Here let me kill the catwoman fantasy so we can keep this thread on topic. This is what she looks like now.
    The last line was on topic, or so I thought.
    D**** father time for what he did to her! :D
    Aww, duuude...
    Reminded of a couple pieces of advice - not always appropriate and not always heeded - given many years ago:
    "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", and
    "Better use what Mother Nature gave you before Father Time takes it away." :)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    You young dudes crack me up! You know you're getting old when you look at the pictures of the couples in the paper for their 50th anniversary and think, "Dang, she looks hot!" Sorry about the hijack.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You young dudes crack me up! You know you're getting old when you look at the pictures of the couples in the paper for their 50th anniversary and think, "Dang, she looks hot!" Sorry about the hijack.

Nah that's just the wisdom of the years allowing you to appreciate a real woman and not some skinny little skank!:rockwoot:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Last night from Jim Tomes:

Seems like SB 292 is still red hot news. Below are two letters worth reading. The first one as you'll see has been sent to members of the Indiana State Bar Association. I've left out the names of the attorney and the teachers who sent them.

Colleagues:
    There is a dangerous bill working its way through the legislature. Senate Bill 292 relaxes the rules on carrying firearms, and specifically prohibits local government agencies from restricting the right to carry firearms (and ammunition) on public property. This would allow persons to carry loaded firearms and supplies of explosives on public transit systems, in county courthouses, public parks, (schools?) and the like. The bill also contains provisions which allow persons whose “rights” are restricted by local governments in contravention of this provision to file a lawsuit and recover treble damages and attorney fees. My initial reaction is to ask the legislators “ARE YOU COMPLETELY NUTS?”, but I suppose a more restrained approach is in order. This bill has already passed the Senate and is presently in the House. Please contact your legislators and ask them to vote against this bill.

I've left a phone message for the attorney who sent this letter. It seems that he must not have read the bill. Court houses are exempt, and it does not allow carry on schools because this bill changes nothing in state or federal law. I would be particularly interested if he could show me the language about explosives on public transit systems. I hope he's not a defense attorney.

This next letter was inspired by a letter from a Principle at a 4 star school in Warrick county who supports gun rights in a big way. This letter has been sent to teachers throughout the state. The letter above is typical of letters that have been sent by parties who do not support the intent of the Constitution. It's very rewarding to see that others like these teachers are willing to present their support.

Castle North WCTA Members and Interested Parties,

Our UniServ Director, Cathy Heck, has asked us to email and call our legislators and the Speaker of the House to help our staunch supporter and hero, Sen. Jim Tomes. As you can read in the email below, he has paid a heavy price for standing on principle and supporting teachers and public education. Although his bill is out of his control, there is still time to vote NO to the House version of SB 292. This is not the original version of the bill written by Sen. Tomes.

Please take the time to thank Sen. Tomes personally
    . He is a true example of government for the people. He stood for teachers when few others did.

Feel free to forward this message to anyone who would like to help Sen. Tomes.

Thank you,

Jim

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    A little late to the ball game but have emailed the following to Senator Hershman and Hume.

Dear Senator xxxxxxx,

I am not one of your constituents but alas have no representation on the special committee that will be overseeing SB292. The bill as it stands right now does not help law abiding gun owners of Indiana and its original intent was gutted by the Indiana House of Representatives. I urge you to please try and get the original draft created by Senator Tomes to pass during the special committee you now chair.

The original intent was to ensure that law abiding Indiana gun owners would not have to worry about a patch work of local laws making it illegal to carry their guns. It is so much easier if the entire state follows one set of laws as oppose to allowing a patch work of laws to be in place.

Thank you for your time,

xxxxxxx
    Griffith, IN

Also sent this to Reps Torr and Goodin,

Dear Representative ,

I am not one of your constituents but alas have no representation on the special committee that will be overseeing SB292. The bill as it stands right now does not help law abiding gun owners of Indiana and its original intent was gutted by special interest groups in the Indiana House of Representatives. I urge you to please try and get the original draft created by Senator Tomes to pass during the special committee you now chair.

The original intent was to ensure that law abiding Indiana gun owners would not have to worry about a patch work of local laws making it illegal to carry their guns. It is so much easier if the entire state follows one set of laws as oppose to allowing a patch work of laws to be in place.

Thank you for your time,

Top Bottom