• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have low expectations. Set the bar low and you won't get disappointed as often.

And I'm not getting any younger.

Ryan, you are having your first baby correct? Or, well, your wife is?

I've got 5 grandkids. Let's see how hard you push yourself in 25 years or so.;)

As a matter of fact, let's see how many matches you make after you've had a couple kids....and they have sports, both after school practice and on the weekends.:D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    As a matter of fact, let's see how many matches you make after you've had a couple kids....and they have sports, both after school practice and on the weekends.:D

amen... I have 4... all active in sports.

Practice... what is this "practice" people speak of?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Ryan, you are having your first baby correct?

2nd kid... 1st is 2-1/2 yrs old.

As a matter of fact, let's see how many matches you make after you've had a couple kids

And my goal for this year reflects that already. Sure.

USPSA, I got 110th last year with a terrible first day and a great 2nd day:dunno:

So you got 110th w/ a bad day.... and you had almost no uspsa or competition experience. You've since gone up a class... and understand the game, and have improved your shooting in general, right? So if you hadn't had a terrible 1st day at your first national, you think you would have made top 100? Sounds like you are setting a goal you were capable of then, too. Would you set a goal of "win D class?"

So what happens if you do set a goal of like top 75 or 64 or whatever and you fail? Will the wife leave you? Bank repo your house? It's no big deal. Next year!

I didn't mean "push yourself" to mean you have to spend hours blistering your hands dryfiring, I meant it like "raise your expectations." Because I've seen you shoot even just a time or two, and I expect more from you. ;)

My signature block on enos' forum says the following:
    "A goal properly set is halfway reached."
    - Abraham Lincoln

I'm just jealous... I wish I had the budget to shoot nationals... :D

-rvb

ps. I personally don't like goals of what place I finish, rather what percentage, since where you place is so dependant on who happens to show up.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    This was last year, I had experience. I shot IDPA for years but laid off for some time due to personal issues. This will be my fourth Nats. 2 a long time ago last year and this year. My first National I came in 4th from the bottom.:rolleyes:
    Considering a M I know (GM in Limited 10) came in 36th....I think 100 for a low B shooter is attainable. I also have come to realize that if I think I am going "ALL OUT" I will have misses and no shoots to show for it.

Did you not get the part where I had a great 2nd day? That kinda evens out the terrible first day. I think that thinking you are going to a major and have your best match ever is wishful thinking. Plus, this year, there are going to be more shooters, since it's 2011.
    I don't know about you guys but it's pretty unrealistic for me to go to the majors and think THIS is the match where I'm going to do everything perfect and fast.
    It just doesn't happen. When I push hard, is when I crash. I crashed almost every major I shot last year, with the exception of MI. I went to MI knowing it was the last major of the year and I just wanted to say the hell with the pressure on how I did and just enjoy myself.
    Ending up winning even with a 12 second jam.

I hear ya on the budget. I didn't have it either when I was your age.

I do have more experience and another 15K rounds down range since last years Nats. I hope to do better. And I know they are going to have 40-50 yd shots and 20 yds partial target weak hand so I will practice those.

I'll be happy if I break the top 100. If I break it by 10 or 20 places, I'll be even happier.

If I get a plaque, I'll be freakin ecstatic.:)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Recruit at least 3 new shooters :yesway: but they didn't last long
    Win my division at a couple local matches :yesway:
    Join WVPPS and shoot in the Point Series :yesway:
    Become a member of Riley CC :noway: ended up moving
    Win a plaque :yesway:
    Make B in SS :noway: sold the SS, bought a boat
    Make B in Limited :noway: didn't build limited gun
    Shoot an "A" classifier :yesway:
    Build an Open Glock and get classified.[/QUOTE] :noway: didn't build

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington

1. See if my son would like shooting.
    He liked it and now shoots every night.
    2. Shoot in some sort of organized event.
    "done" we both like it. Riley club is great
    the guys there made it very easy for us to start.
    3. Build a 10/22 for Collin to shoot.
    Done
    4. Build a 22/45 for Collin.
    "almost done" waiting on barrel

Thanks to all the guys that helped us get started in 2011, It really
    was easy to get started when everyone was soo helpful.

Top Bottom