• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Should I replace all springs and other small internals or just get a new one? It was my small gun edc carry.

My wife says clean it up and retire it to just target shooting / spare and get a new one.

Round count for that gun is around 4,500.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Should I replace all springs and other small internals or just get a new one? It was my small gun edc carry.

My wife says clean it up and retire it to just target shooting / spare and get a new one.

Lol, it's fine. Replace the recoil spring if you want for [STRIKE]piece[/STRIKE] peace of mind, but it's fine. My carry gun saw more than twice that number the first year.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    4500, it's just now broken in! RSA's I replace at 5000. Haven't had to replace any other parts except magazines and sights. My newest Glock has 2500 give or take, and hasn't been cleaned yet.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    My 19 is 25 years old.

Has probably 60k+ rounds through it.

Broke an extractor a few months ago.

I have put 4500 rounds through it in one week before.

Youve plenty of life left in that.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    ^ 4500 rounds in one week? That sounds like a blast, no pun intended. I recently picked up a g27 and am very pleased with it. OP sounds like you're in a win win situation, the trusty edc is still ready for many more years of use and also have the green light for a new purchase :yesway:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Replace the RSA and complete disassembly and cleaning is what I would suggest.. After that it's good for another 20 years. :)

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a Glock-27 (2.5 gen) I carried since 1996, we were issued a Glock-22 and Glock-27 as BUG, so, I carried it like a second coat of skin, fired thousands of rounds through it, in 2013, I vacationed with the family in Florida, (Hi Mickey), and on the way back home stopped by the most holy of places, Glock INC in Smyrna Ga.
    I wanted Glock Night Sights put on my old boy, and since I was in the area, just dropped in.

Sad to say, the Glock tech, informed and showed me a slight hairline crack on my frame just above the top pin, and offerd to replace my frame, no charge. He said it was no big deal, but I decided to keep it as is, just not shoot the be-jezzus out of it, as I normally did, and to keep carrying it as usual.

Fast forward to December 2015, was at the range one afternoon, and decided to shoot up the Winchester PDX-1 180 gr ammo I carried out of it, and put in fresh.
    Draw, Point, Pull trigger, (long silence) nothing. I knew it was loaded, and since I was at the range, I just removed un fired round, looked it over, put it back in the mag, reloaded the mag, Re-Point, Pull trigger and this time BOOM.

After the range session, I took ol boy home for s detailed strip and clean, looks OK, but I replaced all springs and, knowing I had his twin brother in 9mm a Glock-26, I hesitantly swapped them out.
    It's all about having one when you need it right?
    Take care of yours, but be aware someday they do wear out.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Replace the Recoil Spring if you want to feel like you did something. Give it a good cleaning and look for possible age-related wear. The round count is not a concern. I shot almost twice that many rounds through a Gen 3 Glock in one year... and the next year.

TECKS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    I have a Glock-27 (2.5 gen) I carried since 1996, we were issued a Glock-22 and Glock-27 as BUG, so, I carried it like a second coat of skin, fired thousands of rounds through it, in 2013, I vacationed with the family in Florida, (Hi Mickey), and on the way back home stopped by the most holy of places, Glock INC in Smyrna Ga.
    I wanted Glock Night Sights put on my old boy, and since I was in the area, just dropped in.

Sad to say, the Glock tech, informed and showed me a slight hairline crack on my frame just above the top pin, and offerd to replace my frame, no charge. He said it was no big deal, but I decided to keep it as is, just not shoot the be-jezzus out of it, as I normally did, and to keep carrying it as usual.

Fast forward to December 2015, was at the range one afternoon, and decided to shoot up the Winchester PDX-1 180 gr ammo I carried out of it, and put in fresh.
    Draw, Point, Pull trigger, (long silence) nothing. I knew it was loaded, and since I was at the range, I just removed un fired round, looked it over, put it back in the mag, reloaded the mag, Re-Point, Pull trigger and this time BOOM.

After the range session, I took ol boy home for s detailed strip and clean, looks OK, but I replaced all springs and, knowing I had his twin brother in 9mm a Glock-26, I hesitantly swapped them out.
    It's all about having one when you need it right?
    Take care of yours, but be aware someday they do wear out.

why would you not get the frame replaced?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I just didn't, kept it original, and retired it. Got a letter from Glock saying they would replace the frame anytime for free, by the time my replacement (grandson) gets old enough to have it (In twenty-one years as he is due in the first week of May 16), it will be a relic, and I won't be here anyway.
    I will also pass down to him (if not confiscated in the future), plenty of antiques by then that do go boom to add to his Star Wars collection of firearms by then, and yes I will write down that its one old Grand Dad carried back in the day and has a hairline frame crack, so don't shoot it.

Last edited:

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County

You carried this gun for 20 years and it only has 4,500 rounds through it? Am I missing something here?

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    If the wife has already given the blessing for a new gun GO BUY ONE BEFORE SHE CHANGES HER MIND :ar15:

On a serious note, have it completely disassembled (if you're not comfortable doing it, have a Glock armor do it) and cleaned, throw a new recoil spring in it, and enjoy for another 20 years! Its a glock, if you average 4,500 rounds every 20 years it will last long enough for your kids to carry it and maybe even their kids. Only reason to replace it is because the wife lets you buy a new one, but that's a good enough reason for me.

Top Bottom