• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Was this month typical in that the longest rifle shot taken was roughly 50 yds.? Or do you sometimes have targets set out closer to 100? I'd think it would be pretty hard to make head shots at that distance with iron sights or a unmagnified red dot.

This month the longest shots were a little closer than normal. Chaz and walt make no sense with course design! If it is wet out, you can bet there will be targets all the way out to 100 yds. That way we can match through every inch of wet ground to paste the targets.

Seriously though, if you noticed Lucas in our squad, he had a variable magnification Vortex scope with a quick throw lever. That isn't what he started out with. That came from experience and finding out what works when you really try to "run" a rifle. This is also the reason non of my reflex sights have a dot. Only chevron or triangles (all trijicon-never a dead battery! Hint hint) I like having a sharp point to aim with at those longer distances. Personally for me, I found magnification really showed just how bad my nerves are since I never seem to ever have a great rested position to shoot from.

mj.elder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Was this month typical in that the longest rifle shot taken was roughly 50 yds.? Or do you sometimes have targets set out closer to 100? I'd think it would be pretty hard to make head shots at that distance with iron sights or a unmagnified red dot.

I checked the course setup paperwork and the max distance we engaged with rife on Sunday was 70 yards. I'd be curious to see if they stretch it to 100 for other matches

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    So there is a Toys For Tots 2 gun match outside of Ft. WAYNE on October 7th. Just got off the phone with the MD, and he has me PUMPED to shoot this match! Please check out the Charity 2 Gun thread for more details.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Any YouTube video of this match or similar ones?

That's it! I'm going to do it myself! You guys will be sorry you asked for vids. Steel and Wood, mj.elder, and FreeLand can testify: I don't have a "made for the camera" face. At the September match, I will pick a stage and have someone take a video.

And not to worry: I'm slow enough for you to catch all of the action on the first viewing.:ar15:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's it! I'm going to do it myself! You guys will be sorry you asked for vids. Steel and Wood, mj.elder, and FreeLand can testify: I don't have a "made for the camera" face. At the September match, I will pick a stage and have someone take a video.

And not to worry: I'm slow enough for you to catch all of the action on the first viewing.:ar15:

Sorry my friend, not trying to put anyone out. I just frequently see video of other shooting sport disciplines. Thought surely there would be some YouTube video of this. :dunno:

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    bwframe,

I was playing. I never think about taking pics or vids when I shoot, but this thread has had a lot of requests for videos, so I will see what I can do. Maybe if I'm lucky, I can find at least one other shooter in my squad who isn't camera shy!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No worries sir. I was just trying to encourage what has become commonplace in a lot of shooting sports. Video also promotes participation.

Wasn't trying to push the idea off on anyone specifically. Just trying to get a rough idea of what we're looking at before packing up gear to drive a couple hours each way.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    I completely understand! I talked to the match director about this tonight. He wants to put together some stuff for YouTube, so hopefully he will get this done soon!

If any of the INGO guys who have shot in TSA with me took videos of the matches, feel free to chime in!

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just trying to get a rough idea of what we're looking at before packing up gear to drive a couple hours each way.

I shot the TSA match in August for the first time. I wasn't sure what to expect as neither their Facebook page nor their website had any signs of recent activity. However, it turned out to be a well run match with what appeared to be a core group of shooters and a handful of newbies like myself. The 4 stages were challenging for a local club match and I had a great time!

So you have a filter to judge my impressions... I occasionally shoot both IDPA and USPSA. I've not shot 3-gun, but have shot a carbine match at ACC and the Honor Flight 2-gun match at Wildcat Valley twice.

I would describe this event as being more like IDPA than USPSA. The stages aren't super long like USPSA can be sometimes. For the larger stages I went to the line with 2 rifle and 3 pistol mags on my belt and one of each in my back pockets which I used to load and make ready. I did not end up using that many mags on any of the stages. I just like to err on the side of carrying more than I think I will need. Unless noted in the course description, you'll load just 10 rounds in both rifle and pistol mags. Unlike IDPA, you don't start with 11 rounds in your gun.

I have a belt that I use for USPSA that I added a couple of rifle mag pouches to and that worked well. Several shooters had what I think you'd describe as battle belts and a few were competing in full armor carriers with steel plates. One change I will make before my next match is to a different holster. The CR Speed holster that I use for USPSA and have used at the Honor Flight event is not the right type of holster for this event. Next time I'll use a BladeTech or other similar holster. Running around with a competition holster like that without the safety engaged seemed like a bad idea, so I lost time disengaging and re-engaging the holster safety while on the clock.

Most shots are taken from behind cover. They expect you shoot targets in an order that makes sense if the targets were actually hostile and shooting back. So you "slice the pice" from behind cover and while shooting out in the open you put one round in each visible target before shooting it a second time.

You need a sling for your rifle. There was one stage where I started with my rifle by engaging 3 targets. Then put the rifle on safe, engaged several targets with my pistol and then returned to my rifle to finish my stage. So you may find yourself running around with a rifle dangling at the end of your sling with a round in the chamber.

You will learn to shout "Safe On" before you start running with your rifle.

You need a chamber flag for you rifle.

Travel light. No one used a cart to carry their stuff around.

I think a magnified optic for your rifle is highly recommended to score well in this event. One stage required taking head shots from at least 50 yards. My 50+ eyes can't do that reliably from a kneeling position without some magnification.

During the course description if you hear "box drill", that means shoot the target twice in the body and then once in the head. Most targets shot with a rifle are supposed to be engaged that way. The cardboard targets seem to be the same shape as IDPA, but the scoring zones are different. The "zero down" area in the center of the target is rectangular in shape and isn't as wide as IDPA but does extend up higher.

Burl, I hope this helps you feel more comfortable making a decision about making a long drive. I remember you were coming up for Friday Night Steel for a while. If you really want to shoot your rifle, I think it you'll find the extra hour drive is worth it.

If I've described anything incorrectly, I trust CZ evo3 will speak up and correct my errors.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I shot the TSA match in August for the first time. I wasn't sure what to expect as neither their Facebook page nor their website had any signs of recent activity. However, it turned out to be a well run match with what appeared to be a core group of shooters and a handful of newbies like myself. The 4 stages were challenging for a local club match and I had a great time!

So you have a filter to judge my impressions... I occasionally shoot both IDPA and USPSA. I've not shot 3-gun, but have shot a carbine match at ACC and the Honor Flight 2-gun match at Wildcat Valley twice.

I would describe this event as being more like IDPA than USPSA. The stages aren't super long like USPSA can be sometimes. For the larger stages I went to the line with 2 rifle and 3 pistol mags on my belt and one of each in my back pockets which I used to load and make ready. I did not end up using that many mags on any of the stages. I just like to err on the side of carrying more than I think I will need. Unless noted in the course description, you'll load just 10 rounds in both rifle and pistol mags. Unlike IDPA, you don't start with 11 rounds in your gun.

I have a belt that I use for USPSA that I added a couple of rifle mag pouches to and that worked well. Several shooters had what I think you'd describe as battle belts and a few were competing in full armor carriers with steel plates. One change I will make before my next match is to a different holster. The CR Speed holster that I use for USPSA and have used at the Honor Flight event is not the right type of holster for this event. Next time I'll use a BladeTech or other similar holster. Running around with a competition holster like that without the safety engaged seemed like a bad idea, so I lost time disengaging and re-engaging the holster safety while on the clock.

Most shots are taken from behind cover. They expect you shoot targets in an order that makes sense if the targets were actually hostile and shooting back. So you "slice the pice" from behind cover and while shooting out in the open you put one round in each visible target before shooting it a second time.

You need a sling for your rifle. There was one stage where I started with my rifle by engaging 3 targets. Then put the rifle on safe, engaged several targets with my pistol and then returned to my rifle to finish my stage. So you may find yourself running around with a rifle dangling at the end of your sling with a round in the chamber.

You will learn to shout "Safe On" before you starting running with your rifle.

You need a chamber flag for you rifle.

Travel light. No one used a cart to carry their stuff around.

I think a magnified optic for your rifle is highly recommended to score well in this event. One stage required taking head shots from at least 50 yards. My 50+ eyes can't do that reliably from a kneeling position without some magnification.

During the course description if you hear "box drill", that means shoot the target twice in the body and then once in the head. Most targets shot with a rifle are supposed to be engaged that way. The cardboard targets seem to be the same shape as IDPA, but the scoring zones are different. The "zero down" area in the center of the target is rectangular in shape and isn't as wide as IDPA but does extend up higher.

Burl, I hope this helps you feel more comfortable making a decision about making a long drive. I remember you were coming up for Friday Night Steel for a while. If you really want to shoot your rifle, I think it you'll find the extra hour drive is worth it.

If I've described anything incorrectly, I trust CZ evo3 will speak up and correct my errors.

Thanks for the great detailed description John! Very helpful.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll have to do a lot of practice before I am even close to ready for that kind of shooting. Looks fun, but definitely intimidating.:)

Don't let the video discourage you. I believe the shooter featured in most of the shots is the match director who was in the Marine Corp. (So he's really a professional.) Most of the competitors are mere mortals just like a local USPSA or IDPA match. One thought I have is that if you have a pistol caliber carbine, it might be a little easier to transition into a sport with two firearms. Lots of people were running those new CZ 9mm carbines. It's a little more like a rifle in that the magazine is forward of the trigger group like an AR. A Kel-tec or a Beretta CX9 where the magazine is inserted into the handgrip would be like a pistol, so managing reloads might be more familiar for those only used to competing with a pistol. With just 10 rounds to a magazine, reloads are a key to scoring well.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't let the video discourage you. I believe the shooter featured in most of the shots is the match director who's a Marine. (So he's really a professional.) Most of the competitors are mere mortals just like a local USPSA or IDPA match. One thought I have is that if you have a pistol caliber carbine, it might be a little easier to transition into a sport with two firearms. Lots of people were running those new CZ 9mm carbines. It's a little more like a rifle in that the magazine is forward of the trigger group like an AR. A Kel-tec or a Beretta CX9 where the magazine is inserted into the handgrip like a pistol so managing reloads will be a little closer to pistol. With just 10 rounds to a magazine, reloads are a key to scoring well.

I wondered about PCC's. Are there more 5.56 AR's than PCC's competing?

Top Bottom