• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I went out this morning to try my hand at the urban deer zone here in Lafayette.
    I got to my blind at about 6:30am and settled in. Just over an hour later, I saw a deer come into view, but it was heavily obstructed by brush. I waited a minute or two and it moved out of my line of sight, but not before a second deer moved into the same hole into the brush.
    I had seen the head of the second deer come past the hole in the brush, so I knew it was antlerless. The second deer stepped in front of that shooting hole and stopped . It dropped it's head as if to feed, leaving me with a view of it's front shoulder and chest through the hole in the shrubs.

I saw my opportunity to satisfy my "earn a buck" prerequisite, so I took the shot.
    I swear I heard that arrow hit flesh. I'd never heard that sound before. I'd never taken a deer with a bow before today.

I let it lay for about 45 minutes before I went to track it. I didn't want to chase it off any farther than it already was.
    My brother showed up, and I explained where I shot, and where I thought the deer went. I went to track the blood trail, and my brother just went trekking through the woods.
    Two minutes later I heard my brother say, "Got it!".
    I went to where he was and found him standing over an 80lbs or so button buck. I dragged the buck to my truck, then told my brother I was going to look for my arrow.
    I went back to the place of impact and started following the blood trail again. To my surprise, the blood trail I was following did not head toward where I found my deer. I thought maybe he just ran in circles before heading off in one direction.
    I followed what I thought was the path my arrow should have taken, and lo and behold, not 25 yards from where I ended the original blood trail search, I found the second button buck. Sure glad I bought that second urban deer tag!

I took two 80lb button bucks with one 22" bolt from my brand new Barnett Quad 400 crossbow. A 100 grain broad-head took that arrow completely through BOTH deer, and kept on going. I never did find my arrow.

This new Barnett crossbow is advertised at 345fps! I believe it is moving at LEAST that fast!

I've seen you tube videos of someone taking two deer with a rifle, but I would not have guessed it possible with a bow, even a crossbow.

Well, that's my introduction to bow-hunting. As far as I'm concerned, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! :D

Now it's time to go find that full-size buck! :popcorn:

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats on a first bow kill! I remember mine!

Now Ill be a jerk. Next time, use your binoculars to see if its actually a doe or not. Legally you satisfied the new earn a buck rule, but you just killed 2 bucks and potentially could take a 3rd. Not what the DNR was going for.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well it took some time, but I finally found my arrow this morning. 20 yards past buck #2 and stuck in a tree just over 6 feet off the ground.

Back-straps are on the menu for tomorrow.

Top Bottom