• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    EDIT: On another note: Plate tectonics and Volcanology have always fascinated me...
    nerd.

We have EQ insurance on the house, JIC. A few years ago ('08 maybe), when we had the small one that hit about 5:45-6:00am, we had just finished doing some drywalling and had the 1st coat of mud up...it cracked every seam in the room. The last thing I want is for the giant brick facade on the front of my house to crack and have to fork out for the repair out of my own pocket.

If we were to get one that knocked power out, we'd be ok for a while. I have 2 full tanks for the grill, 6(I think) cans of fuel for the camp stove, and my wife stocked up at Aldi's yesterday. As long as the house is standing an habitable, we'll get by.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Those quakes were very close to me (like 0 and 4 miles) and were the mildest quakes I've ever experianced. The duration was very short, and while both felt like quakes I wasn't too sure that there wasn't an issue with the coal mine or a gas well.
    There was an instant of a slight vibrating quiver followed by a booming thump.
    The dog (asleep) jumped up and looked at me right before each one occured.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    EDIT: On another note: Plate tectonics and Volcanology have always fascinated me...
    same for Meteorology for me. I usually chase down the tornado warning in indy not run away.

That 5.4 was fun a few years ago felt really weird laying down in bed. I didnt even feel the other 3.0 later in the day

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Living in Indiana most won't think about Earthquake insurance.
    I carry a flood policy on my home (don't have to, but live close to the river). I don't have Earthquake insurance at all. Perhaps that might be worth the investment.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'd worry about a quake that hits the St.Louis metro area more than one around here. You get one that is bad and takes out major roadway bridges and railroad bridges and SHTF will happen, on what scale who knows.

Yes, 6+ would suck for a lot of places. Especially if it was from the New Madrid Fault system. But that could also depend on WHERE in the fault system the EQ occurred, both from a latitude standpoint and from a depth standpoint.

A 6+ mag. near-surface EQ located near Evansville would be bad for Indiana - obviously.

A 6+ mag. deep EQ near Evansville MIGHT be harmful.

River valleys are generally bad places to locate structures if you're anticipating a large EQ.

-J-

Wonder if they're also offered volcano insurance out there?

Seattle's only a few seconds from being vaporized on any given day...

-J-

Living in Indiana most won't think about Earthquake insurance.
    I carry a flood policy on my home (don't have to, but live close to the river). I don't have Earthquake insurance at all. Perhaps that might be worth the investment.

It's been about eight or ten years since I last studied Purdue University's projected earthquake damage map, but a catastrophic earthquake on the New Madrid fault line could be expected to cause structural damage in the Indy Metro area, from minor to major damage. For example, my wife was at 30th & Lafayette Rd and felt the latest earthquake in SE Indiana last Thursday. Don't remember if there's a map of all the fault lines located in Indiana at the State Fairgrounds or if it's elsewhere, but Indiana is riddled with fault lines of various types.

When I was out at Ft. Lewis in 2008, one of the guys with us had a cousin who was connected to the Emergency Management Agency for one of the counties which touches Mt. Ranier. At they time, they were closely watching a visible bulge in the side of the mountain. Depending upon which side it was (and I don't remember) a Mt. St. Helen-type eruption would be catastrophic for the coast or the interior of the state. I doubt Washington OES people will make the same mistake that they made with Mt. St. Helen.

Top Bottom