• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    I currently have 2 ak's (Bulgarian Arsenal Milled receiver SA-93 and SLR-95) both are upgraded.

I like the reliability, penetration, and having spare parts w/ the AK. Presumably one is mine and one is the wife's when SHTF.

My buddy recently got a rock river operator ar-15 and it's pretty awsome.

I know about the maintenance, accuracy, and weight differences- do you thinki should keep both ak's or trade one in for an AR??

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You have two very collectible AK variants. Keep them both and the AR. Can't have too many firearms when the end comes.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Depending on what your plans are I say keep the AK's. If you are interested in an AR then save for one and decide if you like it better than the AK. In my opinion in a SHTF scenario you won't want two different rifles.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    As with everyone else I agree on keeping both AK and adding the AR. In a SHTF situation I always suggest having an ar, ak, and 9mm. Obviously more if possible. But, with an AK and AR you have greatly increased your odds of having a gun that almost everyone else will have. This means the best oppertunity to find parts or ammo if needed. JMO

100 bullets

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Georgia
    As with everyone else I agree on keeping both AK and adding the AR. In a SHTF situation I always suggest having an ar, ak, and 9mm. Obviously more if possible. But, with an AK and AR you have greatly increased your odds of having a gun that almost everyone else will have. This means the best oppertunity to find parts or ammo if needed. JMO

+2 only thing I would add would be 22 and 12 gauge

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is your budget such that you'd have to sell 1 of the AKs to fund part of the new AR? Or could you keep both the AKs and simply add the AR?

I'm a "simple is best" kinda guy. I don't like having a weapon system that I don't have some training on. Right now I've got a Glock and an M4, and have taken training classes for both. If I added an AK, I'd want to make sure I was familiar with it just as well.

For me, adding an entirely new weapon system would include not just the cost of the gun itself, but also the cost of the new caliber of ammo, new type of magazines, and the cost of learning to use it.

If your budget allows that, go for it. If not, I'd stick with the AK platform.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Is your budget such that you'd have to sell 1 of the AKs to fund part of the new AR? Or could you keep both the AKs and simply add the AR?

I'm a "simple is best" kinda guy. I don't like having a weapon system that I don't have some training on. Right now I've got a Glock and an M4, and have taken training classes for both. If I added an AK, I'd want to make sure I was familiar with it just as well.

For me, adding an entirely new weapon system would include not just the cost of the gun itself, but also the cost of the new caliber of ammo, new type of magazines, and the cost of learning to use it.

If your budget allows that, go for it. If not, I'd stick with the AK platform.
    +1, exact reasons I ultimately stuck to the AK when I had AR fever that infected my brain to consider trading 2 AKs for an AR. My current equipment, ammo, and familiarity won out. "Beware of the man who owns one gun, he probably knows how to use it" kinda concept.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been going through the same scenario for two weeks "should I sell my AK and my mini-14 and buy another AR-15?" Finally after much debate and advise I have decided to keep them both and still buy another AR-15. As one friend told me "you can't have to many guns right now."

Top Bottom