• ...and so much more!
  • MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Greetings Long Gun Folks,
    New guy here, recently purchased my first pistol, FNX-9.
    Now I'm thinking of adding a long gun. I have heard that a 10-22 is nice.
    So without looking at an AR-15 due to the recent prices, what is would you suggest?
    It would be used for plinking and potential defense if the need arouse.
    Thanks for the look and read,
    MrBlue

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    I'd wait until this gun scare passes, then look for a DPMS sportical if you want an AR type rifle. Had one last year, sold it to a Co-worker so I would have money to purchase a 1911. Very reliable rifle, it only cost me if I remember about 730 bucks at Plainfield shooting supply. I am beating myself in the ass because I sold it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well right now almost any self loading rifle is gonna be hard to come by.

Check some pump action 12ga shotguns, or a lever action or bolt action rifle.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A .22 over .410 rifle is about ideal for your stated needs. The .22 for plinking and the .410 for defense. There is a couple of Savage 24 combo guns for sale in the classifieds.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Hard to beat a Ruger 10/22. My personal preference is a Browning BL-22 which is lever action. Henry makes a nice lever action too, but slightly lower price and quality.

A nice 20 gauge is also a good option. Perhaps a Remington Pump 870.

BigWagon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Greentown
    Some great suggestions so far. The 10/22 is a nice choice but magazines are hard to come by right now. A pump shotgun would be my choice if I only had one long gun.

Regular Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Blue, a 10-22 would be an excellent choice. Reliable, and used ones will be plentiful since they made a billion of them. Get a Butler Creek folding stock or other variant, and you'll be all set. Plus it's easy to put the wood or synthetic stock back on if need be.

But these are nice, too: Colt .22 Tactical Rimfire | M4 & M16 Rimfire Rifles | Powerful & Cost Efficient Made in Germany by Walther under license from Colt, and imported by Umarex.

I picked one up in November, the M4 carbine, and I love it. Everyone that I've talked to that has one thinks they're great. A friend of mine was in a gunstore a week or so ago and says .22 tactical rifles are still available, but I can't verify that; haven't been in a store since November. Price at the time was $400 to $500; mine was $450.

Though a .22 isn't very powerful for home defense, just the sight of the Colt could deter someone.

Nice truck! '71 or '72?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    "1st Long Gun" is correct because you are probably going to want several.

1) Ruger 10/22 or Marlin/Glenfield 60: Practice, plinking, squirrels
    2) Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 in 12ga: Home defense, deer
    3) Marlin or Handi-Rifle in .44 Magnum: Deer in Indiana
    4) Pick a brand in .308 or 30-06: Long range target
    5) AR-15, AK-47, SKS, Mosin-Nagant: All the cool people own one

I don't know how many you will eventually need, I just know that I am not there yet.

Last edited:

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    One thing I suggest, no matter what you get, don't put a scope/electronic sight on it until you have spent a lot of time using the iron sights. When I say "electronic sight", think holographic/red dot/laser/night vision/etc.

If you don't spend time with the iron sights, the others will just become a crutch and not an enhancement as they are intended.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Brother in Law started out with a 10-22 and now and 870, I think his route was a good one. Considering the gun control press...now you have to figure a different set of circumstances though. You may want to go ahead and bit the bullet and look for an AR in a few weeks or a month. They will become rare before to long. I expect prices to go down from what they are now, but never to what they were two months ago. Ever consider M&P 15-22? Great stuff and fun to shoot. Cheap to shoot.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Usually I would ALWAYS say 10/22... but given this forthcoming AWB proposal, I'd say take your $200 and buy an AR-15 stripped lower receiver.

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Thanks Everyone for the great responses.
    I was actually looking towards a Mossberg 500 until speaking with my younger brother, "kicks like a mule" he said. He then traded for an 870. Much nicer.
    As I have an FNX-9 for my first gun, I plan on that being the primary deterrent if someone thinks they might want to enter the home uninvited!
    I want to add the long gun and the 10-22 sounds good.
    Yes, at AR could be in the future, if the prices come down. But time will only tell.
    The truck is a 72' Chevy. Have to have a nice ride.
    Thanks,
    MrBlue

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Guess I am not clueing into your actual desires. Do you have a caliber range? Expense of feeding? Expense of entry?

Plinking and defense and low price say moison nagent to me.

You can also find a shotgun for a good price.

I love .22LRs. There are so many choices out there.

Do you want a black gun or a wood gun? Have you shot different ones?

As you are starting out I'd suggest staying rather basic. Get a good, old fashioned wood stocked gun that is easy to take apart and clean. Think how often you will shoot it. Think about how you will maintain it. So many older wooden stocked guns out there and so many moving away from them. The older guns are better built, if it is in good shape today then it was taken care of and will last you a very, very long time. Liberals are not as scared of them.

FWIW...

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    "1st Long Gun" is correct because you are probably going to want several.

1) Ruger 10/22 or Marlin/Glenfield 60: Practice, plinking, squirrels
    2) Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 in 12ga: Home defense, deer
    3) Marlin or Handi-Rifle in .44 Magnum: Deer in Indiana
    4) Pick a brand in .308 or 30-06: Long range target
    5) AR-15, AK-47, SKS, Mosin-Nagant: All the cool people own one

I don't know how many you will eventually need, I just know that I am not there yet.

Nice break down:rockwoot:

I have one or two in each category.

downrise14

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    NWI
    You can find a decent sks for under $400 if you look for them. They are fun to shoot. Ammo is cheaper (I won't say cheap because of current conditions).

Top Bottom