• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhisle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Union County. Indiana
    Been looking around the web because I recently pulled my Albanian out of storage. I knew they were rare but not finding a lot IOC reliable info. One guy estimates there are only about 1100 of them left in existence ( for that year), don't know if I should hold onto it or sell. Has all matching numbers and in good shape For old mil-surp rifle. Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you really do have a 1970 Albanian SKS... please please please post pictures!!!

I don't know much about SKS rifles, but I know enough to know that an honest-to-God Albanian is a veritable Holy Grail. I believe I read a thread in GlockTalk a few years ago about an Albanian BOLT that sold for as much as an average Chinese / Bulgarian rifle.

If it were mine...I'd hold onto it. If it's been shot already, I'd not feel bad about shooting it occasionally. If I did shoot it, I'd not shoot corrosive ammo through it out of fear I wouldn't be able to get it cleaned well enough.

If it's very minty...I'd not shoot it. And still hold onto it. The value of that one is going to continually climb.

-J-

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you really do have a 1970 Albanian SKS... please please please post pictures!!!

I don't know much about SKS rifles, but I know enough to know that an honest-to-God Albanian is a veritable Holy Grail. I believe I read a thread in GlockTalk a few years ago about an Albanian BOLT that sold for as much as an average Chinese / Bulgarian rifle.

If it were mine...I'd hold onto it. If it's been shot already, I'd not feel bad about shooting it occasionally. If I did shoot it, I'd not shoot corrosive ammo through it out of fear I wouldn't be able to get it cleaned well enough.

If it's very minty...I'd not shoot it. And still hold onto it. The value of that one is going to continually climb.

-J-

This. Albanians, especially with all matching numbers, are VERY rare. Keep it and don't shoot it. If you want a shooter pick up a Norinco SKS for about $300 and shoot the snot out of it, but for all things holy keep that Albanian as mint as possible. If you must shoot it, don't shoot corrosive ammo out of it to perserve the value (this is just my thinking and I'm sure that shooting corrosive ammo out of it would be fine).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This. Albanians, especially with all matching numbers, are VERY rare. Keep it and don't shoot it. If you want a shooter pick up a Norinco SKS for about $300 and shoot the snot out of it, but for all things holy keep that Albanian as mint as possible. If you must shoot it, don't shoot corrosive ammo out of it to perserve the value (this is just my thinking and I'm sure that shooting corrosive ammo out of it would be fine).

Shooting the corrosive ammo would be fine... It's just that you'd better be darned sure that you clean it 100% or you'll be sorry! If you get a little pitting on a Norinco or Bulgarian - who really cares?

Even a tiny amount of corrosion on an otherwise Minty Albanian SKS... tragedy!

-J-

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    It's hard to tell you what to do. You have a rare bird for sure. Will it be worth $1000 someday? Maybe but I doubt it. If you trade it, try to get something equally as rare. You can stick it on a online auction, maybe you'll get up to $600 or $700 for it. You never know. If you are really into mil-surps then hang on to it. In the end it's your call.

dhisle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Union County. Indiana
    Try this
    75749209.jpg

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Albanian SKS's are cool, you won't likely confuse them for any other countries SKS. I have a numbers matching 1968 model, the local pawn shop had a guy sell his collection of 10 of them about 2 years ago and I got pick of the litter.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    That is a beautiful firearm, i would hold on to it for awhile unless you need the cash.

Dont fire it what ever you do.

But honestly find someone that knows about this weapon and get it appraised and see how much its going to go up in value

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I sold mine recently for around $350, it took a while to sell at that price, although it wasn't the same year as yours. I can't predict the future, but it is still an sks and collectors for them aren't as numerous as other firearms, so even though they are rare, they probably won't command a huge premium in the future like you see with some firearms.

dhisle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Union County. Indiana
    I don't feed her anything corrosive, but every now and then i have to run a clip or two through her. It's got the sweetest trigger pull I have found on any sks, and it is very accurate. Guess I feel that they all need a few Rounds occasionally.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Albanian SKS's are quite unique and rare. Believed 17k were built, all but 6k were destroyed.
    An excerpt from a gunboard:

The Albanian SKS was believed to be an early Simonov design that was never manufactured by other European countries. It was known locally by the name "July 10th Rifle", after Albania's Independence Day. The Albanian SKS was manufactured at the Umgramsh Factory from 1967-1971 and again from 1976-1979, in Gramish, Albania. There is some debate about what happened during the years 1972-1975 but I have never seen or heard of Albanian SKS's from this time period.

Albanian serial numbers are, in most cases, stamped on visible parts and usually contain 3-6 numbers followed by a dash and then the last 2 digits of the year of manufacture. Ex: 02645-78, would be rifle serial number 02645 manufactured in 1978. You will also see electro penciled serial numbers on the gas piston.

Albanian SKS

I bought mine from AIM back in 2004 for $79. It is all matching 1978 but the stock has the shellac peeling in spots.

Albanian2.jpg

Albanian1.jpg

Top Bottom