• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A Colt Thompson and Detective special, what every junior G man would have wanted.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Heck, we had toy machine guns in the '70s and '80s, but that set looks pretty neat.

I had one where it shot sparks out the muzzle when you pulled the trigger.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A Colt Thompson and Detective special, what every junior G man would have wanted.

I bet you had one of those sets and did this to the Colt????:)

images

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I had a (toy) tommy gun when I was a kid -- because Sergeant Saunders had one.

Also I nailed a 1x4 onto a non-firing drill rifle to make it a high capacity bolt action. :)

I used both of them to hunt my friends during "maneuvers" in the bushes along Greasy Creek next to the football field in Nashville.

Good times.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    ...and what a step up they were from your old atlatl.

Well to be honest Hough Church and I stuck with the Atlatls until the mega fauna died out during the Younger Dryas event.......We just couldn't get our self bows strong enough to take down a mammoth.....It was possible but by then Church and I were no spring chickens and a 200 lb pull self bow was just not going to happen for either of us....

If you think Glock vs 1911 is bad you should have been there during the great atlatl vs self bow debate of 10,000 B.C.......It was ugly...Many a friendship ended over that I can tell you.....

We didn't have no internet but boy howdy the cave walls were covered with each side making their case...

Valltorta-Cave-Paintings-Photo-marinador.jpg

84b.jpg

The bow guys were always going on about how they can carry more arrows and the atlatl guys were talking stopping power...

"There is NO WAY a little flint arrow, I don't care how many you fling, is going to have the stopping power a good fluted dart point will.....It ain't about the number of rounds it's about the size of the projectile and wound size......"

Church even had a saying, "A flint arrow point may kill the body but an atlatl dart kills the soul..."

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I had one of those toy Thompsons. The days of young boys running around the neighborhood playing Army are conspicuously absent - that was how we played back when I was a boy in the 60s. My friends and I never gave it a second thought, nor did our parents, nor did the police who drove by.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I had one of those toy Thompsons. The days of young boys running around the neighborhood playing Army are conspicuously absent - that was how we played back when I was a boy in the 60s. My friends and I never gave it a second thought, nor did our parents, nor did the police who drove by.

When I was a kid, my brother and I had real rifles that we played ARMY with in our neighborhood. We had a couple of old Winchester single shot bolt actions. Dad removed the bolts from them and turned us loose. One of the guys in our neighborhood even had an old beat up real surplus Jeep behind the garage.....Many hours of Rat Patrol were played fighting off the Nazis in the desert...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Same here! In fact, one time, when I had to be tested for allergies, I got like 15 small shots in each arm, so I had these little red marks going up and down each one. Since I was a "good boy" (I was probably 5 or 6 at the time) while I was getting all those shots, Mom took me to get a new toy at Woolworth. Naturally I chose a toy gun. When I got home, the first thing we did was play army. We pretended that I had been shot by a machine gun in both arms... :ar15::):

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Rat Patrol--- good one. Great show-- that 'may' have had an influence on me joining the Army when I got older.
    I think I need to see if I get get the series on DVD. !!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I had the Mattel Tommy Gun. Same as Alamo!! I still watch Combat reruns on oldie TV! Also 12 O'clock High! They did chatter from the spring. Had couple cap pistols too. Rolls of caps fired on Saturdays. We made foxholes and bunkers in the empty lot next door. Pitched a tent out there too. Man, it was great in youth days.
    People would lockdown the subdivision if kids walked around in Army helmets, canteens, and Mattel's Tommy Guns! lol

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Showing our age here, but yes the streets of Detroit were patrolled by kids back in the day with toy cap gun six shooters, Tommy guns, and IIRC there was even a Bazooka that shot a blue spring loaded plastic shell, and all sorts of gear from the surplus store.

Nowadays when I go "HOME" to the Detroit area, I still carry plastic, now in the form of a Glock, and the kids that live there now, carry real guns too.

But boy oh boy back in the day we Baby Boomers, boomed.............

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Rat Patrol--- good one. Great show-- that 'may' have had an influence on me joining the Army when I got older.
    I think I need to see if I get get the series on DVD. !!

I loved it as well...My grandfather served in North Africa and I remember being a kid watching it at their house Sunday morning one time...I was about 6 years old and Papaw had come down stairs and saw me watching Rat Patrol....I looked up and said, "Papaw was that what it was like chasing Rommel in North Africa?"

He looked at me, grunted, and said, "Hell no....Those boys look like they're having fun....It weren't fun..."

[video=youtube;X34OFJpnRwE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34OFJpnRwE[/video]

Great music in the theme song opening.....The driver with the red Confederate Artillery Kepi character's back story was he ran moonshine in Kentucky before the war and that was why he was such a good driver...

Papaw got a kick out of that as well...."Son they ain't no way he's a Kentucky boy..."

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Wow, sounds like a lot of you :fogey: played with guns as kids. By liberal logic, we should have a whole site full of mass murderers here.:dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom