• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have an RIA compact 1911 and a full size Springfield and to be honest, I like the RIA better. I've put around 500 rounds through mine and have not had near the trouble with the RIA that I've had with the Springfield. The RIA are excellent guns for the money.

I was out to Bradis today and swung through Plainfield Shooting Supplies and only way one RIA at Bradis. It was a compact, exactly like mine but Bob, at PSS, had several full size at $389.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I've got an RIA w/target sights, full length rail, whole 9 yards. Awsome pistol for $600. Would never trade it, and don't feel the need to buy a Springfield, Colt, Kimber, ...

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I have had a Chas Daly (same as RIA) 1911 Officers for years and it has always been very reliable and accurate. I can only recommend them as a great buy for the reason stated.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Rock Island Armory. They are made in the Philippines...cast frames and slides.

They are ok entry 1911's, but I would spend a little more and buy a Springfield G.I. or Milspec.

Ya know, I'm a 1911A1 guy at heart, and have owned one since the late 70's/early 80's, and I STILL don't understand this "G.I. OR Milspec" phrase I keep hearing.

In my mind, a 1911A1 is what WAS issued, and is simply an improved variant of the 1911. Any 1911A1 should have 100% parts interchangability with any other 1911A1. How can a 1911A1 exist without being "milspec?" I can understand the literal use of "G.I.," since unless it was actually issued by DoD, then it technically wasn't government ISSUED. But, how can they not be Milspec?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Ya know, I'm a 1911A1 guy at heart, and have owned one since the late 70's/early 80's, and I STILL don't understand this "G.I. OR Milspec" phrase I keep hearing.

In my mind, a 1911A1 is what WAS issued, and is simply an improved variant of the 1911. Any 1911A1 should have 100% parts interchangability with any other 1911A1. How can a 1911A1 exist without being "milspec?" I can understand the literal use of "G.I.," since unless it was actually issued by DoD, then it technically wasn't government ISSUED. But, how can they not be Milspec?

When talking about Springfield Armory 1911s, "GI" and "Milspec" are simply model names for two of their guns. The "GI" is pretty much just that, the gun that was issued. The "Milspec," I don't know why they call it that, but it's got some improvements over the GI such as better sights and a lowered ejection port.

Dick0550

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    I like the RIA 1911A2 that they make. It uses the P14 14 round magazines from the Para Ordnance pistols.

Speed Kills

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    You know, I just don't see what's so special about them to be spending $389 on an "entry level" 1911.

I've shot one, they're not terrible guns or anything, And I was actually in the market for one when I was looking for a 1911 to start out, until I held one in my hand, and compared it to other items close in the price range.

But what would keep you from just spending $100 more, and getting something ultimately nicer like, say, a Para GI Expert?

Just wondering.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You know, I just don't see what's so special about them to be spending $389 on an "entry level" 1911.

I've shot one, they're not terrible guns or anything, And I was actually in the market for one when I was looking for a 1911 to start out, until I held one in my hand, and compared it to other items close in the price range.

But what would keep you from just spending $100 more, and getting something ultimately nicer like, say, a Para GI Expert?

Just wondering.

Frankly, I just don't see how the $100 guns are worth the extra hundred dollars. I do have a hard on for the Springfield Loaded, but it's more than $100 extra.

Top Bottom