• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One aspect of the 1911 that I really like, but that I have not seen mentioned yet, is the ability to completely disassemble it with almost no tools. A lot of the pistols I own are not designed to be end user disassembled. There are tiny springs peened in place and taking one apart is almost like disassembing a watch.

The 1911 is designed to be disassembled right down to the very last pin and spring. I like that. I don't like being dependent on a gunsmith for basic disassembly. Sure, the other guns I own have lifetime warranty's and if it fails, I should be able to send it to them for a fix, but what if they are not available? If we ever see a true SHTF situation, a lifetime warranty will not be of much use.

That, plus it fits me pretty well and I seem to be more accurate with a 1911 than with most anything else I have, is why I'm a fan.

Did I mention that they come in a variety of sizes?
    picture.php

Last edited:

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    I was looking to buy a new handgun a little over a year ago and hadn't considered a 1911. Then, I shot one, and from that moment I knew that was what I wanted. Easy to grip and aim. Love the break of the trigger.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I like the 1911 for several reasons. It's a solid gun that feels good in my hands. Not too heavy, not too light. It's accurate...way more accurate than I am. It's a classic design that's been around for 100 years. It's been proven by the men and women who have served our country over several generations. And you can't discount the look. To me, there is no better looking handgun than a 1911. On top of that, I have a great time shooting it.

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    There is not a better trigger than that on a good 1911.
    Crisp break, short reset, mmmmm perfect.

There is no real best brand.
    Here is my thoughts on breakdown.

Low cost: Rock Island Armory (Armscor), LLama, Charles Daly, Norinco,

Midrange: Kimber, Springfield armory, Colt, Taurus (more low midrange heh), Dan Wesson

High end (expensive): Les Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Rock River

Any of these manufacturers make a 1911 that will work. The high end have been tuned for reliability and are much prettier. The low end generally have cast frames but will shoot thousands of rounds with proper maintenance.

I'll check out these producers!

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    The previous posts in this thread have pretty much said it all. And more importantly to me, the 19911 just fits my hand perfectly. I have no doubt that as the 1911 hits its 100th anniversary that it will in some form be around for its 200th too. Of course by then it'll probably be some sort of phaser gun or something. :D

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    There is not a better trigger than that on a good 1911.
    Crisp break, short reset, mmmmm perfect.

There is no real best brand.
    Here is my thoughts on breakdown.

Low cost: Rock Island Armory (Armscor), LLama, Charles Daly, Norinco,

Midrange: Kimber, Springfield armory, Colt, Taurus (more low midrange heh), Dan Wesson

High end (expensive): Les Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Rock River

Any of these manufacturers make a 1911 that will work. The high end have been tuned for reliability and are much prettier. The low end generally have cast frames but will shoot thousands of rounds with proper maintenance.

Might want to stick the DW's into the High end (expensive) category. They have taken additional steps to increase quality this year and their price tag now reflects it. Last few years, they were in the $1100-1400 range.......this year it's looking like $1500-2000. And for the record, the last few years of the Dan Wesson 1911's were the absolute best overall value in the market. Talk about a sweet pistol for a grand. Looks like all the new ones will be made with the all forged frame which was previously only available on the Valor. I need to start saving my dollars:D

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Yeah, I understand that some of the mid range guns could move up to high end by quality and reputation, But I was more holding to $700 to $1200 as midrange.
    I had no idea the DW's had gotten that high.

Midrange is the hardest category because there are some guns that are expensive, but (IMHO) overpriced.

And Dan Wesson makes some of the best fitted 1911's out there.

Top Bottom