• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildcatfan.62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I made the leap earlier this year into the 1911 cult with a Sprinfield Loaded but in the Champion size as I wanted to be able to carry it. It's gone bang everytime -I've used it once or twice for IDPA. I've been really pleased. Bought it a Blythe's in Valpo. They were the only LGS with one in my area.

Springfield comes with a lifetime warranty and can be had for your price range. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your decsion.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Great info thank you!

Don't go taking what I said about firing pin safeties or extractors as the gospel. For every one person that will tell you one thing about a 1911 you will be able to find ten more that will tell you another.

Just remember other peoples opinions are like buttholes. No one wants to hear them.

Buy something you like and be happy with it. You will find things you like about it and things you don't. Consider that in your next purchase.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I made the leap earlier this year into the 1911 cult with a Sprinfield Loaded but in the Champion size as I wanted to be able to carry it. It's gone bang everytime -I've used it once or twice for IDPA. I've been really pleased. Bought it a Blythe's in Valpo. They were the only LGS with one in my area.

Springfield comes with a lifetime warranty and can be had for your price range. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your decsion.

Springfield makes a good pistol. I carry a TRP everyday. But, my favorite is my nickle plated Colt Series 70 Government Model. For CC I love by Kimber Ultra CDP II.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ive been on their website quite a bit ....and sig...and colt... :) My phone and their site dont lime each other but ive managed to see that exact one...i think...im not a fan of the heavy serrations on the front of the slide for some reason and SA likes to put them on alot of their models, but they have some without i saw too.

I like the idea of a blankish slate to work with

I have a 4" barrel and no front serrations. Mines stainless steel so I will be able to finish it however I want once I get the dehorning and other mods done.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Buy something you like and be happy with it. You will find things you like about it and things you don't. Consider that in your next purchase.[/QUOTE]

That's why I bought a gun that I think has a good foundation and then I can personalize out from there. Grips, safety, finish, sights..

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    At $900 you have lots of choices. Frankly, I would still steer you to a used but not abused example before I would have you spend money on something new, but you expressed a preference for new so I will shut up about it. For $900 new I would put money on a Colt first; not because I think it is all the much better than a Springfield or a SIG, but because it is a Colt, with American forged frame and slide, and that is still worth a premium at resale. If you aren't set on spending the $900, and you aren't willing to jump up a tier to buy a used Wilson, Ed brown or Les Baer, then I would suggest you consider a $600ish 1911 with 1000 rounds of ammo, and shoot it until you figure out what you like in a 1911 platform. At that price I hear good things about the RIAs.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    If funds werent an issue id get a colt talo royal stainless gold.cup. all bright stainless...no matte anywhere. Dang i love the way those look! Colt offees it in a 38 but talo did them in a 45 and thats the caliber im after.

I am leaning towards a colt because of the heritage, name, staying power $$ wise and classic appeal.....but i dont want to discount other makes when i havent given them a fair shake...so to speak.

No worries on taking what anyone says as the gospel, no worries man, i appreciate the info and follow up

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Yeah that keeps creepin in my mind man, really does. I know bradis has quote a few.kimbers so when i head up there friday ill certainly be talking to them bout em.

Acme in Seymour has them for right at 1000. Buds guns has the non rail for a little over 900, but I think they are out of stock right now.
    I came real close to getting one. I still may get one in the future. I don't think I would trade my Springfield for one, but Springfields can be hard to find.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would have bought a Pro TLE if I could have found one. But I am happy with my SA. And maybe I may even be happier as time goes on. I like to tinker with things and I would have been hesitant to mess around too much with a TLE.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I was looking for a bare bones, G.I. ish example of a 5"1911 a few weeks ago. Had a Springfield G.I. or Miltary Spec in mind, but could not locate a Springer 1911 anywhere locally. In ANY configuration. Colts? Rarely seen locally. I like Kimbers, but they are among my carry guns, and I wanted something more old school.

I ended up with a new Remington. Am happy so far; pretty basic, but it does have better sights than a G.I. model. Fit and finish are fine, accurate, fun to shoot. One bobble so far, but hey, it happens. I took the basic blued finish over the stainless version.

The trigger mechanism seems a little loose and sloppy. Not sure why? But I do like the gun.

Bap1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    NE Indy
    I ended up going with brand new stainless Pro TLE ii as my first 1911 that I purchased online and did the whole FFL transfer thing. They are super tough to find locally which is kind of a bummer (as with a lot of Kimbers).

If you're patent you can definitely get into a awesome used full size, blued TLE, or a Kimber custom on the forums here. IMO SA's are the next best thing in the price range.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    So i think ive determined what i want it to look like atleast.....
    - steel frame, (ok not looks but oh well),
    - full size 5", mag to sit flush, not with the rubber baby buggy bumper thing on the bottom of mag,
    - spur hammer (this'll be tough i know),
    - skeletonized trigger,
    - no front slide serrations
    - either bright/ polished ss (minimal matte) or jet black in a semigloss/ satin with dark walnut grips on either or black grips for the black option.
    - Id like a rail too.
    - sights...something not overbearing looks-wise that scream "LOOK AT ME!" no pun intended :)

So thats the ideal way it would look, i realize the spur hammer will be tough to find in a new one.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    So i think ive determined what i want it to look like atleast.....
    - steel frame, (ok not looks but oh well),
    - full size 5", mag to sit flush, not with the rubber baby buggy bumper thing on the bottom of mag,
    - spur hammer (this'll be tough i know),
    - skeletonized trigger,
    - no front slide serrations
    - either bright/ polished ss (minimal matte) or jet black in a semigloss/ satin with dark walnut grips on either or black grips for the black option.
    - Id like a rail too.
    - sights...something not overbearing looks-wise that scream "LOOK AT ME!" no pun intended :)

So thats the ideal way it would look, i realize the spur hammer will be tough to find in a new one.

I was going to recommend this. Close to you too! Until i saw your requiements. Lol
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...37-nice_kimber_grand_raptor_ii_1911_45_a.html

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Pick up a Cheap used one you won't care about scratching up while you learn the hows of maintaining and using the platform...

Nothing like putting a scratch on a $1,200 Pistol while you are taking it apart the first time...

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Pick up a Cheap used one you won't care about scratching up while you learn the hows of maintaining and using the platform...

Nothing like putting a scratch on a $1,200 Pistol while you are taking it apart the first time...

THIS.

I completely forgot about it in my original posts. Google "Idiot Mark". There are just some things on these pistols that take a little finesse. Learn on a cheap "practice" 1911 before you get "your baby". You may even find that you don't care for the platform at all. Better to be out a little money than a lot of money :twocents:

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hmmmm.......ah ha! I got.it...just get 2 ...one cheapie "learner" and one "baby" :) hehehe

Oh and i wouldnt call them requirememnts per say more like my ideal 1911 looks wise

Top Bottom