• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DKeene

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    Crown Point
    Just picked up a Colt 1911 series 70 built in 80-83. I want to shoot 230 grain berrys plated round nose bullets. Any recommendation on a recoil spring weight? It has a Wilson Combat one piece rod. The spring feels way to heavy.

Thanks

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Yeah, there are a ton of resources out there to read, but my recommendation in short would be to put a 16lb in and try it, then work your way down to the heaviest spring that provides reliable operation with your load. Since you specify Rainier plated bullets, I'm assuming you handload. Depending on your recipe you may be good with 16#, or not. I can run 200gr LSWC in front of 3.8gr of Clays and a 16# works fine, but a 14# likely would, too.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have a 16.5# variable wolf spring in my full size right now. It works fine with just about anything that I have fed it, only having cycling issues with the very lightest of loads in med/slower powders. I could probably get by with a lighter spring just fine, but then I also carry this gun, and do not want to run into any issues of the slide not having enough energy to get back into battery. If you are tuning this gun for a target load only, and do not plan on using it for SD, check out some of the spring packs available for it, and see what works best for you.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    16# is factory for that gun.......in fact any Government model will come stock with a 16#.......as JMB made it....16# spring is made for 230gr at around 825fps

Top Bottom