• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Brownsburg
    A friend put a new trigger in his Springfield 1911 and has now had it "double fire" four times. Is trigger overtravel adjustment the only thing that would cause this? Does the mainspring have anything to do with this? His new trigger does have the adjustment screw but he doesn't know if this would be caused by being adjusted in to far or by being adjusted out too far. I am pretty new to 1911's so I can't be of much help to him. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Back the over travel limit screw out. If the trigger does not travel freely, there could be a problem. You have to be sure the trigger bow moves freely in the frame. Yes, that leaf spring is critical, and there are three fingers on it for a reason. If the finger that supplies pressure for the disconnector is not tweeked correctly, you will end up with an unsafe firearm. I do not know if it is still in print, but Hatcher wrote a book of servicing the 1911 that is very good. Better get some literature, the 1911 is fairly complicated to tune correctly.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    There are a few things that could cause it: Hammer hook-sear engagement surfaces not within spec, os something wrong with the disconnector.

The overtravel screw shouldn't cause doubling. I can't think of a way that it would if the hammer, sear and disconnector are properly adjusted.

Top Bottom