• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbnash90

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Greenfield
    So I want a 1911, like every human being with even a minimal interest in guns. The wallet is thin though, much like every human being with even a minimal interest in guns. This has probably been posted about several times. I have done searching and research and have come across some "affordable" 1911s. I can read expert reviews all day but I want the opinions of some fellow Hoosiers. A couple of the 1911's on my watch list are the Remington R1 1911, Taurus pt 1911, Ruger sr 1911, and the ATI 1911. Which do/would you prefer? I like anything Remington makes, but I hear iffy reviews for the R1, mostly revolving around the grip safety. I have troubles trusting Taurus. ATI is the most affordable, but I firmly believe in "You get what you pay for." Does anyone have experience, opinions, or issues with any of these?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The Remington and Ruger are the superior picks in your list. Unfortunately, the tight supply on the Ruger has pushed prices on that 1911 over $800. It should be selling for less than $700.

The newest Remingtons are extremely well-made firearms and very accurate.

MML

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    NWI
    I own the Ruger sr full size and it has been flawless and looks awesome, out of the box the accuracy was dead on. And yes I am a 1911 loyalist its all steel and just works as designed. I am sure you will get others to chime in very soon.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    For a first 1911 i wouldn't rule out a Rock island armory or an Citadel both made by armscor. I purchased an compact model citadel on clearance at Cabellas in Hammond probably 8 months ago for 399 i think.Regular price i believe is in the 550 range maybe. its shot with no problems target ammo and JHP put probably about 600 rounds down it so far and i love it. The only thing is that the finish is deff not the greatest but definitely manageable. I know its not a nicer gun but for the price i said screw it and bought it when im ready to buy a nicer 1911 ill drop some real money. Just my 2 cents

To give you something to look at here is a link with the full size version.
    Citadel M1911 Fullsize .45ACP Matte Black CIT45FSP - Citadel - Handguns - Firearms

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    I recently picked up 2 Taurus 1911s. I haven't fired more than 100 rounds between the 2 of them yet, but I'm quite impressed with both of them. I picked them both up for well under $500 each (used), so I would suggest them for someone on a budget. I've owned several Taurus' currently and in the past and I haven't had any big issues with any of them, but I could just be lucky I guess.!?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    For a first 1911 i wouldn't rule out a Rock island armory or an Citadel both made by armscor. I purchased an compact model citadel on clearance at Cabellas in Hammond probably 8 months ago for 399 i think.Regular price i believe is in the 550 range maybe. its shot with no problems target ammo and JHP put probably about 600 rounds down it so far and i love it. The only thing is that the finish is deff not the greatest but definitely manageable. I know its not a nicer gun but for the price i said screw it and bought it when im ready to buy a nicer 1911 ill drop some real money. Just my 2 cents

To give you something to look at here is a link with the full size version.
    Citadel M1911 Fullsize .45ACP Matte Black CIT45FSP - Citadel - Handguns - Firearms

Can't agree more on checking out the RIA 1911's I own 2 of them and both have preformed flawlessly. I have a 9mm and a .45, I would buy another one in a heartbeat

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I bought a Para 1911 and it was ok, but I really liked the looks of the Ruger sr1911. I sold the para and finally came across a good deal on the Ruger. Great shooter and I still think it looks great. Right now there is an sr1911 on the forum for $700 (I bet you could get it down closer to $650). I paid $706 for mine at Gander Mountain, but had an email from Bradis stating that they were selling them for $659 plus tax and Gander matched it.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    For my first post, +1 for Rock Island. I have a CS Tactical (Officer size with tactical styling for carry). They seem to be the best budget 1911.

I did have some issue with mine but sent it back (they pay shipping) and all issues seem to be fixed. With any inexpensive 1911 there is a chance that it will have some issues but Rock Island's customer service is great and turnaround was about 3 weeks.

jbnash90

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Greenfield
    Thanks for the inputs. I have looked into the RIA and Para, and those less expensive options. I'm considered picky when it comes to finish and aesthetics, thats why I am considering the pricier ones, without looking at Kimber and Colt. Remington R1 has the looks and from what I hear, the performance. Its in between price-wise, so that is the route I might go. Just wanted to get some opinions, and you didn't disappoint. Definitely a lot of options out there. From what I gather, you can't really go wrong with any of the popular 1911s out there.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have a Rem R1 and absolutely love to shoot it. I carried it for a while and have never had any trouble with the grip safety. I should add that this isn't the R1 Enhanced model, but the original version of the R1. The sites aren't adjustable, it doesn't have an extended beavertail, but it has a SS match barrel and bushing.

I may tinker with this winter and put some Wilson parts in it.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    For our first one, I would go with the Rock or the Taurus PT1911. The Taurus has all the bells and whistles. I have a PT 1911AL that has over 6k rds. and runs just fine and it always have.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I am going to say the same thing I always say in the what 1911 to get threads. The RIA is the best bang for the buck. There are other 1911's that are better made, especially in the finish department. But the RIA is rock solid and well built, totally reliable in my experience. I like my RIA so much I sent it out and had a better finish put on it.

I don't have anything against Taurus in general, however the 1911's are not consistent in quality. I have shot several and found a wide variance in the trigger, some are smooth as butter and some are terrible.

Both the Remington and Ruger 1911's get high praise. But I am not willing to pay a premium price just because they are in high demand. I probably will get both at some point but I will wait and see if the price comes down.

ATI 1911 I have no experience with. hickok45 of YouTube fame did two reviews on it and had a problem with the gun he had. It shot low.

For my first 1911 if money was a consideration I would go RIA. If money is no object then the world is your oyster and any of the major manufacturers 1911's are a good bet. I really like my Sig TACOPS and would recommend that also.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    how is the 9mm 1911 to shoot i saw one used at gander mountain for 350 used almost picked it up.

Mine shoots great, I think it has less felt recoil than my Sig226. It has shot everything I've put in it, FMJ, copper clad, Lead, Hp, everything

A 1911 in 9mm is sacrilegious to some, you might go to hell for such blasphemy!!:):

Agreed, I'll be in hell for alot more things than a 1911 in 9mm

No, we'll just make him stand at the back of the bus! :):

Back of the bus is going to be a crowded place from all the different post on the net that I've read.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Of what has been mentioned so far, I would go with the Rock Island or the Ruger.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom