• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I was a talking to someone at work about guns since I found out that he had some, during the conversation he said he had a Remington R1 1911 and that his father told him not to shoot it since it would increase in value over time. At first I did not know what to say since I did not want to be rude but at the same time I wanted to help him by telling him the truth about his 1911, I just had to tell him that it was not the case with his gun (I felt horrible since his father told him otherwise) but in the end I wanted him to enjoy his 1911.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sorry you had to bust his bubble. Remington R1 would eventually go up in value but it is in no way collectible. Hope he enjoys his gun.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yep you did the right thing. It will have more value to him over time as a shooter and a carry gun than it ever will as a collector piece. Now a full custom 1911 from a big name custom shop, maybe it will increase in value. But an off the shelf R1 no shoot it and enjoy it.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Even if it DID in crease significantly in value over the next 50 years, selling it and putting the money into a compounding interest IRA or similar would still yield a higher return...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even if it DID in crease significantly in value over the next 50 years, selling it and putting the money into a compounding interest IRA or similar would still yield a higher return...

Bingo.......

Cars/guns/motor cycles.....huge gamble if you are investing for profit.

Buddy bought a collector edition Corvette. Silver anniversary or some such crap. Paid cash and stored it away for a bunch of years anticipating a big return. I told him to drive the darn thing as it was not a favored model. He maintained he was right.
    He rolled it out to a mechams auction and did not get what he paid for the car let along locking it up and storing it. Just silly.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    One ol' boy came into a shop I worked, wanted to trade in his father's 1911 that he had during Korea. I said, sure, bring it in, we'll take a look at it. He comes in with a green Springfield Armory case (not even the early cardboard ones), with a lightly used Springer GI. He then begins to expound upon the features of the weapon, like the idiot mark being a "1" as in the Big Red 1, the unit in which his father served. How the military only issued the stainless finish (that's right) to officers, which his dad was a Sergent. I let him finish, as I hate cutting people off in the middle of an entertaining story. I asked him to prepare for a detailed list of why I won't trade that gun in as a war surplus pistol... He was furious with me and wouldn't leave unless I placated him. I did so by picking up the phone and told him I would call the police if he didn't stop with the threats.

Another ol' boy came in to the same shop when I was wiping down a counter, with a single shot H&R shotgun, very ratty, beat up, pitted bore, with hatch marks cut crudely into the dry rotted stock. His grandfather apparently used this in WW1, that's right, the first war to end all wars. The hatchmarks were "kills". He wanted to trade it EVEN for a Browning Silver Hunter we had on the shelf (a new one). I asked to look at it, which he agreed. I looked at it, then detailed the several reasons why this was made in the late 80s AT BEST. I wasn't snarky, just stating facts. The thing I said that set him off: I couldn't give him any store credit on it b/c it was inoperable (the firing pin didn't move). "At LEAST $500! TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!" he bellowed, still assuring himself that H&R killed several Nazis (yes, NAZIS, apparently they had them in WW1, we just didn't hear of it). Asked him to leave.

Cobra .32s, a man loved them. Would buy at least one a month from us, different colors, calibers, never fired, always in box, didn't want one that was even handled. "What do you have in back?" he demanded, shoving the EXACT change every month. I eventually asked him: Why are you buying so many of these? They aren't very dependable, in fact, our most problematic pistol offered! His response was about collectability, particularly the blue and red ones, b/c when "the system fails, the gangsters are going to want colored ones".

Everything has a value, whether real or imagined... :D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One ol' boy came into a shop I worked, wanted to trade in his father's 1911 that he had during Korea. I said, sure, bring it in, we'll take a look at it. He comes in with a green Springfield Armory case (not even the early cardboard ones), with a lightly used Springer GI. He then begins to expound upon the features of the weapon, like the idiot mark being a "1" as in the Big Red 1, the unit in which his father served. How the military only issued the stainless finish (that's right) to officers, which his dad was a Sergent. I let him finish, as I hate cutting people off in the middle of an entertaining story. I asked him to prepare for a detailed list of why I won't trade that gun in as a war surplus pistol... He was furious with me and wouldn't leave unless I placated him. I did so by picking up the phone and told him I would call the police if he didn't stop with the threats.

Another ol' boy came in to the same shop when I was wiping down a counter, with a single shot H&R shotgun, very ratty, beat up, pitted bore, with hatch marks cut crudely into the dry rotted stock. His grandfather apparently used this in WW1, that's right, the first war to end all wars. The hatchmarks were "kills". He wanted to trade it EVEN for a Browning Silver Hunter we had on the shelf (a new one). I asked to look at it, which he agreed. I looked at it, then detailed the several reasons why this was made in the late 80s AT BEST. I wasn't snarky, just stating facts. The thing I said that set him off: I couldn't give him any store credit on it b/c it was inoperable (the firing pin didn't move). "At LEAST $500! TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!" he bellowed, still assuring himself that H&R killed several Nazis (yes, NAZIS, apparently they had them in WW1, we just didn't hear of it). Asked him to leave.

Cobra .32s, a man loved them. Would buy at least one a month from us, different colors, calibers, never fired, always in box, didn't want one that was even handled. "What do you have in back?" he demanded, shoving the EXACT change every month. I eventually asked him: Why are you buying so many of these? They aren't very dependable, in fact, our most problematic pistol offered! His response was about collectability, particularly the blue and red ones, b/c when "the system fails, the gangsters are going to want colored ones".

Everything has a value, whether real or imagined... :D

I've got an NEF Pardner .410 that was owned by Mussolini.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom