• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I agree with everything Dog1 said.

Don't bother with the gimmicky full-length guide rods, shock buffs, or laser gude rods.

Get some sights you can see better, and possibly a beavertail put on it if it bites your hand.

Everything else is extra after that.

uniquejohn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    west lafayette
    i would have to say as a home defense gun night sites would be my 1st choice, i can use them much better in low or little light conditions, my 60 year old eyes need all the help they can get, if not sights, i agree with the above poat and shoot and practice would be next

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    If you're a college student on a limited budget, the best single modification is - for about the tenth time - better sights, Trijicons or something like that. That limited budget should include a competent gunsmith to install the sights and zero the pistol for you. If I recall correctly, the GI model front site has the narrow tenon/post and it's a pain. Matter of fact, easiest way would be to take it to your competent gunsmith and have him look at it and recommend sights by brand and model number(s) - order them from Brownells or somewhere. Good luck.

BIGHORN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    CLAY COUNTY
    I would say sights.
    After that, and adjustable trigger.

I have the Wilson Combat SHOK-BUFF recoil system on my Colt .45 and it works great.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Sights and trigger (not the trigger part, rather the feel of the trigger). Then go take combat pistol courses and shoot the heck out of it. When you can afford it, buy another 1911 because if you shoot them enough, you'll break them.

There's a saying about being worried about the man with one gun, he knows how to use it etc...

I'm more worried about the guy who owns five of the same gun and shoots the heck out of them. Know your platform, train on that platform and carry that platform and that'll give you the best ability when and if the SHTFOMGFBSBBQ!!!!one1!!!

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Other than a good set of sights, the #1 thing is to make sure that it is reliable and accurate.

Good sights don't mean crap if it is unreliable and not accurate.

Once you make sure that you can depend on it, then you can add sights, a beavertail, commander hammer, new trigger, etc.

If it ain't reliable, then it's just a paperweight.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. Ammunition
    2. Range time
    3. Competent instruction
    4. Better sights

After you shoot the crap out of it, you'll know if you want to change something. Just change the things that will improve your ability to put bullets where you want them to go as quickly as possible, and don't change anything that will diminish your ability to put bullets where you want them to go as quickly as possible.

Many add-ons and modifications will genuinely improve the ergonomics of an already fine weapon, but you won't know which until you shoot it a lot. Then you'll know what deficiencies your gun has. THEN you can ask "How do I improve this situation?"

Looking at modifications for a 1911 before you have a lot of experience shooting one is kind of like buying a computer and software without considering what you need to do get the computer to do for you. You might get lucky, or it might not go so well.

Of the potential modifications and parts changes, there some that I would avoid. At best, there offer you no advantage and at worst some can compromise reliability

extended slide release
    shock buffers

Some things that you'll probably want to do at some point

Have a high-ride beavertail fit to the gun by a competent gunsmith. For a Springfield, your best bet would be the Smith & Alexander part that is made specifically to match the Springfield frame tang more closely.

Other than sights, that will improve the "shootability" more than any other modifications.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    1. 200 rounds of ammo down the tube.

2. Recommend, but not totally require, Wilson #47, 7rnd mags.

3. Identify any problems you might have with it after the 200 rounds, then post back.

The rest of the stuff that you commonly see is just to make the pistol fit the individual shooter's hand better.

For example:

I don't like MIM parts. My carry pistol doesn't have any.

I was getting bitten by the standard GI hammer and spur setup so I ground the frame and fitted a beavertail and a Commander hammer.

Ambi safety was required as I'm a lefty.

Polished the ramp as I had a hangup with a hollowpoint.

Long trigger - big hands.

Adjusted the frame so that the pistol points perfectly when held at a certain angle relative to my eye. Took some trial and error but it will point shoot just fine at 21ft.

I actually like the small sights and can see them under stress just fine. They stayed.

Largish, comfortable no-slip grips.

I use a recoil buffer, but I made dang sure my gun functions 100% with it. I also check it very closely with a camera on Macro after every range session. Replacement is mandatory after a couple hundred rounds.

Never did see the point in a FLGR. A proper length spring won't bind or kink. A two piece guide rod will often come apart at the most inopportune times.

De-horned the slide, especially the back, after it cut me on a malf clearance drill (failure to return fully to battery; I smacked the back of the slide with my palm).

But all of this was determined after I ran it for a bit in stock form.

H&A Message Boards - The Venerable 1911 Feel free to drop by.

Josh

bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008

it amazes me that the military is getting out of the 1911 and going to a non us made hand gun and a 9mm at that. the 1911 is much heaver piece but its been very reliable for a lot of years and wars.
    thats all i know.....

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    it amazes me that the military is getting out of the 1911 and going to a non us made hand gun and a 9mm at that. the 1911 is much heaver piece but its been very reliable for a lot of years and wars.
    thats all i know.....

The M9 is made in the USA per their contract.

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    I posted a while back about how i had the same gun and what i did to it. Check it out i started a new thread. The sights are a MUST.

wizepilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    If at anytime you think about laser sights, I recommend Crimson Trace. They are more adjustable than LaserMax. On my house gun I have CT's, and with older eyes it is amazing how fast I can get on target in the dinge of the night with that red dot.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom