• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abomb86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I searched the threads and didn't find anything like this so here I go, I currently own a Springfield GI edition 1911. Its my home defense weapon and I love everything about that .45, I was wondering however if any INGO members had any ideas about upgrades for her. I'm a college kid on somewhat of a budget and was just wondering what your guys first upgrade would be. Just to gather some ideas...please dont flame? thanks

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Better set of sights, past that it depends. If its is reliable not sure if there really needs to be any other improvements. As your gun was designed it went through (very well I might add) 2 world wars, the Korean war, & the Vietnam war. I think for me it's design has been combat proven enough :D

JAMZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    adjustable trigger is most important and not expensive at all
    also i noticed you said home defense if your packin that caliber as home defense
    would advise strongly on purchasing a box of magsafe bullets

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    sights and bob the hammer so it doesn't bite your hand. maybe slick the trigger a bit if it you are having any trouble with trigger control.

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    Check out the Wilson Combat web site

One up-grade would be a Wilson Combat SHOK-BUFF recoil system.

Cost is $38.95 from Wilson Combat... plus shipping.

64%20system.jpg

SHOK-BUFF® Recoil System. This high performance recoil system is manufactured from the finest components to provide the absolute last word in quality and is an instant accuracy/reliability tune-up. If you demand the very best, insist on the original SHOK-BUFF® Recoil System. The SKOK-BUFF® Recoil System is a great value for the improved performance it gives your 1911 style Auto. The full length guide rod controls the recoil spring to keep it from kinking, which means smoother, more reliable functioning and longer spring life. The original SHOK-BUFF® recoil absorbing, poly fiber buffers prevent the slide from pounding the frame, giving longer gun life and softer recoil. The combined effect of the match grade Wilson springs together with the smooth functioning full length guide rod, facilitates a more consistent barrel lock up, resulting in improved accuracy. Available for both Commander and Government/1911 GI models, the original WILSON COMBAT® Recoil System is competition proven and the choice of champions!

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I'd say a good set of night sights would be a good choice. Also might want to spend the money on ammo. Its a good idea to shoot a good amount of your defense ammo to make sure your guns likes it.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Better set of sights, past that it depends. If its is reliable not sure if there really needs to be any other improvements. As your gun was designed it went through (very well I might add) 2 world wars, the Korean war, & the Vietnam war. I think for me it's design has been combat proven enough :D

:+1::+1:

go spend the money that would spent on useless items on ammo and shoot the crap out of it so you know how to use it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You've got some good advice so far, this is the GI model with the nubby sights and not the Mil-Spec? Usually the modifications that give you the most mileage right away are good visible sights and a smooth trigger. Of course you want to make sure that it is reliable with no feeding/extraction issues. If there are issues you can either send it back for reliability work or that can usually be addressed by a local gunsmith as it is pretty simple work such as polishing barrel and feed ramp, checking extractor and breechface, proper barrel locking/unlocking, fit etc. Most mods after that are up to debate but can improve handling. For me I like an extended safety but others do fine with the stock safety. I like beavertails but could probably be fine without one. I usually like to dehorn all my 1911's but oftentimes the springfields aren't too bad here but I haven't owned a GI in awhile so can't remember. My mil-spec came nicely dehorned. Most springields usually come with a pretty good slide/frame fit at least the last three I have owned were nice. You can add improvements as time/money allow.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Depending on the round count, you may want to replace the recoil spring. I put an 18# in mine last summer along with a new firing pin spring and main spring and it has not given me a problem since. I also put a new trigger in my Springfield and it made a world of difference.

Sights are a good idea but good luck finding a set. I've been trying to get a set of night sights on my Springfield Mil-spec for over a month down at Elmore's and he just cannot find the rear sights for a Springer. Hopefully, that will change shortly.

I really like the extended safety on my Kimber and will probably do something along those lines with the Springfield. A beaver tail grip safety would be nice also, along with the bobbed hammer. Those are my plans for my full size 1911, which is also going to server as the nightstand gun.

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    i have the same gun and it is in the shop as we speak. I went with 3dot sights because the ones one it are really hard to pick up. I did a beaver tale, and with that a hammer had to be done. You wont actually get a better or rather lighter trigger pull out of it unless you have some internal work done so i held off on it. I polished the ramp my self with some mothers and a dremel, didn't notice much of a difference. When i get it back i'll post some pics. IMO the trigger on these guns are pretty stiff and for 65 the my gunsmith will smooth it out and lighten it up to about 4lbs.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you reload and have noticed little dents in your cases, they are hitting the corner on the ejection port.

Grind it off. Polish it with some fine grit paper and rub a little gun blue on it.

More or less free and all your cases will land in a little pile instead of scattering all over the range when you shoot.

IMG_0153.jpg

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Stick to what works. Stay away from full length guide rods. It's an answer to a question that was never asked. My 1911's have never had one, just the good'ol reliable GI set-up and they have run fine with it through 10's of thousands of rounds.

Same with Shock-buff pads..I have seen them render a reliable pistol a jam-o-matic.

Sights is the #1 upgrade for a GI model. A good set of Novaks, or 10-8 sights and you are good to go.

You might find that the Springer's extractor's tension is either too tight to to loose. It's common to the GI and Mil-Spec line.

That can be corrected with a new Ed Brown or Wilson extractor.

Now the rest is up to you. How far do you want to take it? Beavertail safety, Commander style hammer, flat Main Spring Housing, Trigger, etc.

If you plan on using the gun for self defense, you might find that you will need to throat the barrel to feed hollowpoints. You will have to try some to see if it will feed them. Some hollowpoints that have a bullet profile that is close to ball ammo will work fine in a 1911 that has not been throated, HP's like Federal hydra-shock.

If it is reliable and accurate for you, now, I would suggest a good set of sights. Then go from there.

Have you shot it? Is it reliable? Any failures to feed or extract?

I recently rebuilt a Colt Combat Commander. It started out like this-

IMG_1037.jpg

After about $350, it looks like this-
    IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Other than the sights dovetails-I have access to a milling machine, but I don't have the cutters and I have never done them and I was not going to try on my Colt-I did the work myself.

Parts and work done-

Wilson trigger
    Ed Brown recoil spring and SS GI plug
    Ed Brown Memory groove grip safety
    Ed Brown SS flat MPH
    Ed Brown pin and rebuild kit
    Ed Brown SS hex head grip screws
    A Fusion .45 barrel and barrel bushing
    Arhends Cocobolo grips
    10-8 rear and Novak front

The finish is Stainless Steel, blasted to a matte finish.

The mag well was beveled.

The great thing about a 1911, is that it is up to you how much or how little you want to put into it.

Last edited:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Sights you can see, a trigger that is crisp (not necessarily light).
    First and foremost, make sure that the weapon is reliable. As in 999/1000 reliable.

Sights don't mean crap, trigger doesn't mean crap if pistol won't go boom, and won't function as it should. Louis Awerbuck states "don't put s--t on your gun."

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    One up-grade would be a Wilson Combat SHOK-BUFF recoil system.

Cost is $38.95 from Wilson Combat... plus shipping.

64%20system.jpg

SHOK-BUFF® Recoil System. This high performance recoil system is manufactured from the finest components to provide the absolute last word in quality and is an instant accuracy/reliability tune-up. If you demand the very best, insist on the original SHOK-BUFF® Recoil System. The SKOK-BUFF® Recoil System is a great value for the improved performance it gives your 1911 style Auto. The full length guide rod controls the recoil spring to keep it from kinking, which means smoother, more reliable functioning and longer spring life. The original SHOK-BUFF® recoil absorbing, poly fiber buffers prevent the slide from pounding the frame, giving longer gun life and softer recoil. The combined effect of the match grade Wilson springs together with the smooth functioning full length guide rod, facilitates a more consistent barrel lock up, resulting in improved accuracy. Available for both Commander and Government/1911 GI models, the original WILSON COMBAT® Recoil System is competition proven and the choice of champions!

Never ever, ever install Shok-Buff systems in a self defense pistol. These are fine for competition to reduce frame batter, because a bound-up handgun in a competition will not get you killed.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My latest 1911 project started as a SA Loaded parkerized model, purchased from a fellow member with only 32 rounds fired.

This is a list of the upgrades so far:
    • Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves: (Manufacturer #: 563401)
    • S&W MSH Flat 1911 Checkered 20 LPI Aluminum – No ILS (Manufacturer #: 275830000)
    • Ed Brown Perfection Sear (Manufacturer #: 874)
    • Ed Brown Perfection Disconnector (Manufacturer #: 811-M)
    • Ed Brown Match Grade Commander-Style Lightweight Hardcore Hammer Blue (Manufacturer #: 896)
    • EGW Extended Hammer Strut 1911 Titanium (Manufacturer #: 1030)
    • Cylinder & Slide - Reduced Weight Sear Spring: (Manufacturer #: CS094)
    • Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Extractor: (Manufacturer #: 110670)
    • Ed Brown Firing Pin Stop: (Manufacturer #: 517025)
    • Ed Brown Competition 19# Mainspring (Manufacturer #: 919)
    • Ed Brown Firing Pin Spring 1911 Extra Power (Manufacturer #: 908)
    • Polished Trigger Bow & Internals
    • 3.75lb. Trigger Pull Modification

The last part of my upgrade will be to do a complete gun dehorn with carry beveling and to refinish the pistol in Graphite Black Cerakote.

blackbeautys.jpg

More to come after the refinishing...

Top Bottom