• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    I have ran easily 800 rounds through any given 1911 before cleaning it without any problem. Not sure why everyone thinks you have to keep them spotless or they wont perform well...

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    BS.

All this "1911s take more care blah blah blah" is spouted by people who dont shoot 1911s.

Step 1. Buy 1911.

Step 2. Shoot it like its its job. <hint... it is.>

Step 3. Replace recoil spring on schedule <oooooo hard.>

Step 4. Repeat step 2.

Its just a gun people.. not some magic machine that needs a certified mechanic.

Good greif.

^^^ THIS ^^^

The 1911 is no more or less maintenance than anyother handgun.....

I'll to this, the BS that people spout that 1911s "gotta be worked on to run reliably" thats a load of horse poo also....

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I have ran easily 800 rounds through any given 1911 before cleaning it without any problem. Not sure why everyone thinks you have to keep them spotless or they wont perform well...

Not to "one up" you, but I've taken more than one of mine to the 3000 mark with nothing more than exterior wipe down. They were still running fine when I couldn't take it anymore and cleaned em. Heck I ran my TRP to 5K with no cleaning.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for all the input guys, and I hate to say it on this thread because there will be much disappointment but yesterday I went out planning on buying a 1911 and ended up finding a great deal on a Glock 22 so I'll be holding off on a 1911 for a while.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for all the input guys, and I hate to say it on this thread because there will be much disappointment but yesterday I went out planning on buying a 1911 and ended up finding a great deal on a Glock 22 so I'll be holding off on a 1911 for a while.

Bah, both run great, enjoy your new glock, besides, from the sound of it, you will be getting a 1911 later. Enjoy a great deal when you can, never know when another will come along. Which generation G22 you get?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Got a 3rd generation with the RTF2 grip polymids or whatever they're called. Found it for 425 after tax with very little use so I was pleased.

Great deal. Get some night sights for it and good to go. I got one without the RTF2 grips but with night sights for just over 500 with taxes.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I noticed your location. If such a time presents itself that you feel like demonstrating your stoppage creating method of grip in a 1911, I'd love to meet up at Ideal Fish & Game to observe your approach and examine what technique is producing this outcome for you. Range time and ammo is on me.

Monday through Friday I work at 2 pm. when are you free?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

^THIS

When I bought my Remington Rand, it was the filthiest gun I had EVER seen! It took me hours to get it clean. The point being that the guy was still shooting it in that condition, and when I went to buy it, we ran a few magazines through it so I could check function. Zero failures.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have a butt load of money in my guns and just prefer to clean them after every use. My TRP gets 3 to 5 hundred rounds ran through it every time I take it for a spin. My Trophy Match does as well. No issues with them but do not want any either.
    Smok-em if ya got-em
    Clean-em if ya want to....or not............:rockwoot:

Great point. These were designed for the battle field. Mud, guts and grime.

Top Bottom