• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    No it's not a Sig. No it's not a Kimber. It's a cough, cough, Llama. I know, I know, but I only paid $75 bucks for the thing so stop shaking your heads at me. It's the minimax model kinda like a Para warthog, only it's a POS. It has been a pet project of mine for a couple of years. Every time I get an urge to become incredibly frustrated and angry I pull it out and attempt to squeeze off a few rounds. I finally got it to where it would feed ball ammo fine, so today I tried out some 230gr gold dot rip-offs. Jam-O-matic. Did some more buzzing, filing, polishing, and magazine doctoring. Loaded up the 10 round mag, racked the slide and commenced to shooting while counting down. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, Holy ***** it's gonna make it, 2, not so fast, FTE. Wow, that's never been a problem before. Looked it over and the business end of the external extractor was missing.

DSC07905.JPG

The brighter grey/white looks like a fresh break, the darker grey around it looks like it's been cracked for a while. I did a little Googling and came up with where you USED to be able to buy them but now out of stock. Any ideas? I you want, feel free to PM me if you don't want your 1911 buddies to see you in this thread. All info will be held in the strictest confidence.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Is the extractor different from the Sig and Kimber? Could one of those be modified to work? I'm just guessing here.... :dunno:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Is the extractor different from the Sig and Kimber? Could one of those be modified to work? I'm just guessing here.... :dunno:

That was my first thought. Apparently they are different from what I have been able to find. It's more of a personal challenge than about the money at this point. If all else fails, I'll just make one. I'll wire EDM one out of some S-7 tool steel and have a $500 extractor in a $75 gun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "and have a $500 extractor in a $75 gun."

Everyone does that sometimes. Part of the game. I sold a fine skeet shotgun but kept the $450 Americase. Now I have a cheap $400 20 gauge O/U in a $450 case.

If it is fun to shoot, keep the old gun running.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

I was at a different site that looks exactly like this one. Both say sold out. The internet makes looking for obscure, hard to find parts easier but keeping track of where you have and haven't looked is a pain.

"and have a $500 extractor in a $75 gun."

It'd probably really be closer to $120. I could knock out a lifetime supply in 2 hours if I still ran the machine. Unfortunately, we are swamped at work and all 3 wire machines are tied up forever. Leaves little time for important things like fabbing up gun parts. Wire EDMS are awesome for small gun parts. They are CNC controlled and use a .010 diameter or smaller electrified wire to cut any shape you program. Like a $200,000 band saw with a really small blade. When I used to run one, I would set up several jobs to run overnight, then slip in a couple of scrap blocks and cut out 1911 parts. Great for triggers and hammers.

Top Bottom