• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    How much difference do thicker grips make? I can put rounds through the same whole with my 92. I took my 1911 out the other day it has thin grips on it and it seemed as if I was shooting about 2 inches high. I am wondering if I am gripping it wrong? I did not have my thumb riding the saftey. I know I prefer thicker grips. So I am wondering if thicker grips would help?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Any change in the ergonomics of a pistol has the potential to change POA. It also depends a lot on the individual so to give you a definite answer is impossible but an educated reply would be to say that yes, grips will change how you shoot it.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    Just get gangsta with it and wrap some rubber bands around the grip. Remember to shoot it sideways! All joking aside I'd recommend vz grips or have a custom set made to the thickness you desire.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Any change in the ergonomics of a pistol has the potential to change POA. It also depends a lot on the individual so to give you a definite answer is impossible but an educated reply would be to say that yes, grips will change how you shoot it.
    I am new to the 1911 it could be that I just need to get used to it? I recall the first time I took out my 92 I struggled to get it on paper. So maybe I just need to put a few more rounds through it? I have heard some say that if your not riding the saftey your doing it wrong. I don't know enough to know if that is good advice or not?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I am new to the 1911 it could be that I just need to get used to it? I recall the first time I took out my 92 I struggled to get it on paper. So maybe I just need to put a few more rounds through it? I have heard some say that if your not riding the saftey your doing it wrong. I don't know enough to know if that is good advice or not?

You've trained your hand with the 92. You'll have to train it now with the 1911.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    You've trained your hand with the 92. You'll have to train it now with the 1911.
    That makes a lot of sense. I guess I forgot how much work went into it. So far the 1911 has fed a little of every thing from brass to steel to aluminum. Fmj jhp no issues. Its a Ruger lightweight cmd and I have to say I really like it. Hopefully it will be my edc soon.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I can tell a lot of difference in shooting some of my 1911s. There's a huge difference from a full size to a commander to my Ultra Carry with 3" barrel. They're different beasts and it takes a little while to get used to them again once they've been stuck back in the cabinet.
    I normally carry a 5" and shoot precise with it. Last year I was switching 1911s around and my shooting went to sh... I was blaming old age, old eyes, arthritis, weak old muscles, everything but the obvious. I went back to the 5" and all is well in the Kingdom again.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Read BBI's thread on dry-fire. The short version is this: clear the weapon, then aim your pistol at a blank white wall and dry fire it, focusing on the front sight post. At the moment your shot breaks, remember your sight alignment. That isn't totally the purpose of that drill, but it is an application of it. Also try dry firing at a point. Is your front sight post jumping in relation to the target as the shot breaks?Try loading a single round at the range, dropping the mag, then firing a well aimed shot at distance. Say, 25 yards or greater. Then carefully take a dry fire shot. What does that second shot look like? This almost sounds like a recoil anticipation or natural point of aim issue. Grips can help with the NPOA, and so can practice.I can shoot a Glock accurately, but I don't have enough practice with one to do that quickly. I have to slow down and roll my wrists well forward of what is natural, because if I dont, I aim REALLY high. I could eventually fix that with a lot of practice, but it is one of the two reasons I don't carry a Glock.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Dry fire. Concentrate very hard on your visual focus. It all has to be on the front sight. Your eye can only focus at one distance - make it the front sight. Let the target blur a little. Slowly press the trigger and watch the front sight. If it moves any at all off of the target when the hammer falls - you're moving the gun. Don't do that. Relax. Breathe. Don't make the gun fire - let the gun fire.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dry fire. Concentrate very hard on your visual focus. It all has to be on the front sight. Your eye can only focus at one distance - make it the front sight. Let the target blur a little. Slowly press the trigger and watch the front sight. If it moves any at all off of the target when the hammer falls - you're moving the gun. Don't do that. Relax. Breathe. Don't make the gun fire - let the gun fire.

I have used a bore laser for this drill. Teaching my sis trigger discipline was rough until I gave her a spot to actually see. Once she saw (and I) where the laser was moving when she dry fired it was an easy fix.
    I have adapted this to get 1st time or low round count shooters on point and then we go to the front site.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Dumb question but has anybody else shot the gun to confirm if the sights are the same as your other gun?

Top Bottom