• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ok, so I haven't even paid for my new Springfield LW Operator yet and I am already thinking of the mods that I want/need to do.

I am stuck on what to do with the front strap. I love how my TRP feels with the aggressive checkering but, the LW Operator is an aluminum frame and I do not want to cut that deep into it.

Has anyone had anything different done that they would recommend? I have seen a few suggestions from high dollar gunsmiths but, this is a duty gun and I simply do not want to put more money into it than I have to.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I have the same firearm. I had the front strap checkered 30lpi. I wish you could feel how good it feels. As if it's glued to your hand. Great while shooting! I had it sent off to my local gunsmith in my area. Looks really nice also. I hope you find what your looking for. Oh, while he had it I had him do a trigger job to it. 3.5lbs with no creep. Took some getting us too but wow what a difference. Have fun and enjoy!!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the other things i can think of would be the hogue rubber combat grips they have the soft rubber finger groves(i had these on my 1911 till i got a set of micarta for $25.00) and ive herd of people using skate board tape on the front strap, with a aluminum frame i dont think u can do much

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You can checker the aluminum frame just as you can a steel one. It'll just have to be refinished for a decent look. I had one of the Wilson add-on checkered front straps and it was OK for the money. Honestly, I think that the grip tape option is about as good, though. You can add and remove it in just a few minutes if you want. Head to a local Menard's or Lowe's; they've got several different types from really agressive grit like used on outdoor stairs to almost rubbery stuff that still has texture to it like you'd put in a bathtub. It's worht the $10 or so to see how it feels if you're not ready to send the frame off to have it checkered and refinished just yet.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have seen a few suggestions from high dollar gunsmiths but, this is a duty gun and I simply do not want to put more money into it than I have to.

Um, shouldn't the gun you're gonna bet your life on get the high dollar treatment? I don't skimp on my carry guns, my life depends on it.

There are no easy or cheap ways to get checkering on your front strap, it's gonna cost you.

PS, that Wilson solution is utter crap.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Um, shouldn't the gun you're gonna bet your life on get the high dollar treatment? I don't skimp on my carry guns, my life depends on it.

There are no easy or cheap ways to get checkering on your front strap, it's gonna cost you.

I've got the Wilson "crap" on a 1911 that I use for competitive shooting. I've only been using it for a few months. It works very well, so far. That being said, I would spend the big bucks for a good checkering job on a carry gun or do the stippling myself. Stippling works very well as a cheap alternative to checkering.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois

Thanks for the heads up on the Wilson thing. I will spend good money on a carry gun. I will also spend good money to make sure that it functions properly. However, I do not like putting huge money into matters of personal preference. The front strap checkering does provide a better grip but, I'm sure that the gun will go bang with or without it. I buy guns to shoot them and understand that they do get wear on them. But, my duty guns have a bad habit of getting pretty banged up pretty quick. I just don't like putting huge dollars into something that is going to be all torn up in a matter of months.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have the Wilson wrap that goes under the grips on one of my 1911's. Feels just like my others with the front strap checkered, and you'd never know the difference when you shot it. I recommend it.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I have the Wilson wrap that goes under the grips on one of my 1911's. Feels just like my others with the front strap checkered, and you'd never know the difference when you shot it. I recommend it.

Wow, looks like people either love it or hate it. For the $10 bucks, it looks like I'm going to have to try it for myself!

Thanks.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have tried the Wilson straps, but even the "stainless" rusts. Just lean to checker yourself. Midway sells files for $20.

I have checkered many 1911s. It's not too difficult if you practice on a piece of tubing first. I usually use a ziptie at the trigger guard for a stopping point as well. Be careful with aluminum as it will cut WAY faster than steel with the hard file. The most difficult part is starting the cross hatch. Once you have your groove in the the first direction ( I usually go withe the length of the strap), you have to press fairly firm to cut the teeth into the serrations. It's a fun skill to have and you will soon start checkering everything!!

PM if you need any help/advice.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I have tried the Wilson straps, but even the "stainless" rusts. Just lean to checker yourself. Midway sells files for $20.

I have checkered many 1911s. It's not too difficult if you practice on a piece of tubing first. I usually use a ziptie at the trigger guard for a stopping point as well. Be careful with aluminum as it will cut WAY faster than steel with the hard file. The most difficult part is starting the cross hatch. Once you have your groove in the the first direction ( I usually go withe the length of the strap), you have to press fairly firm to cut the teeth into the serrations. It's a fun skill to have and you will soon start checkering everything!!

PM if you need any help/advice.

Not a bad idea, think I'll order some files and see if I can pick up some aluminum tubing (about the size and thickness of my front strap) from the hardware store.

Gonna wanna get lots of practice before taking a file to my gun!

Top Bottom