• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    I am a fan of the officer framed commander slide length 1911's. Many say that is the perfect carry size for a 1911. A few examples are the dan wesson cco, para ccw, sig c3 or rcs, and kimber compacts among a few others I probably left out, although I am unaware of any chambered in 9mm.

+1

STI makes a model as described above called the Guardian that can be had in 9mm. I've heard good things about it, though I have no experience with it personally.

They also make a number of smaller 9mm 1911 pistols.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I've always liked the 45. My favorite and Epsylum's too is the SA Lightweight Champion Operator. The bushingless bull barrel is very accurate. Tritium nite-sights and a light rail. A sweet pistol.

My first handgun was a Colt Commander in 9mm. That was about '72. Never could shoot that thing with any accuracy Traded it off for a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt

spacelegged

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    so far ive taken alot from yur responces and ive come up with a favorite so far. the aluminum alloy frame is what ive taken to consideration the most. ive come up with the Springfeild Armory PX9115LP. 4" barrel, aluminum alloy frame, 3dot tritium sights (which i love about my sig). so, so far im leaning towards this peice. id o like the fact that u get 2 mags, a holster and mag holster. anyone own this gun?

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    I've got a Colt CCO (Lightweight Officer's size frame/Commander size slide), and a Clackamas Kimber. I got the CCO specifically because of the added reliability of the longer slide. I found a holster that works very well for me (Andrews Leather MacDaniel II) & I have one for each gun. For the past few weeks, I've been carrying the full size steel Kimber. I find that it's not much tougher to hide (a t-shirt will do it) than the shorter framed gun, but it's noticeably heavier by the end of the day. So, the CCO is for sale, and I plan to replace it with a lightweight Commander or full size 1911.

There just isn't anything I've tried that hides as well as a 1911, and the single stack mag is also a helluva lot easier to conceal on the belt than a double stack mag.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I haven't read all of the posts, but here's my 2 bits. I prefer to carry 1911 style pistols for two reasons. First reason: I like shooting them. They fit me well, and I shoot them a lot, so I can pretty much draw and shoot and make a good hit at close ranges (10 yds or so).

Second, they are one of the thinnest pistols available (in 45 anyway), which makes them a lot more comfortable to stick inside my waste band and go with now holster. The size size seems about right to keep the grip up high enough to keep it accesable, and it all fits up against the body pretty good.

For what it's worth, I've been carying a Kimber Compact since I bought it in '97. It's not an ultra compact, it's just the standard small frame 7 shot. Warm weather like this, I have to carry it iwb with no holster, other wise it will print on my T-shirt pretty bad (I'm not as thin as I used to be). If I don't do that, I have a Kahr K40 that I throw into a Fobus and carry. The Kahr carries like a 1911 to me, so I like that too. If I can throw a light jacket or flannel shirt on, then I put the Kimber in a Fobus paddle holster and I'm good to go.

Just my 2 bits,
    Mark

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've been carying a Kimber Compact since I bought it in '97. It's not an ultra compact, it's just the standard small frame 7 shot. Warm weather like this, I have to carry it iwb with no holster, other wise it will print on my T-shirt pretty bad (I'm not as thin as I used to be).
    I would caution against carrying a 1911 without a holster. Even if your pants/belt are good and tight the gun can move. You may want to consider one of the thin IWB holsters like the Cross Breed Super Tuck or even an untraditional holster like the Smart Carry systems.

JMO

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    If it's rainy/snowy/dark then I grab the G22, if not I grab my 1911 .45 .

I don't personally see why anyone would get a "1911 Lookalike" unless they were just trying to look like they were carrying a 1911 while maintaining a uniform caliber across their arsenal.

To me that just says "Look at me, I'm in the cool kids 1911 club with a 9mm".

Meh.... 1911 .45 or bust IMO.

1911RightSide.jpg

Oh, and don't carry a 1911 without a holster. That's just asking to shoot yourself in the butt/leg like a gooftroop co-worker of mine did.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Yes, I have a "PX9115L" aka Lightweight Champion Operator. I think the only difference is that your are looking at a package with holster and accessories. Mine is about 4 years old and was just the gun. The pistol was my late son's (Epsylum on the boards) and he researched everything completely. He started out to be a Glock fan and had owned and carried HKs, and Sigs as well. Once he got this SA he sold the others. This was his favorite carry gun, normally in a Blade-Tec IWB or a Galco "Fletch". It's my favorite too. Dependable and very accurate. I just love the way it balances and points. Much lighter than my stainless framed, full sized 1911.
    Are you in the Indy area? Let me know if you want to give it a try.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I would caution against carrying a 1911 without a holster. Even if your pants/belt are good and tight the gun can move. You may want to consider one of the thin IWB holsters like the Cross Breed Super Tuck or even an untraditional holster like the Smart Carry systems.

JMO

I've tried some IWB holsters, and I just plain don't like them. They make the gun thicker than it needs to be, which makes it more uncomfortable. When I carry with out a holster, I don't carry cocked and locked. That would be stupid and dangerous.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    It is stupid and dangerous to carry any gun without a holster, or any gun without a round in the chamber. If you're going to carry an unloaded gun, just carry a hammer instead. At least it's ready to go when you draw it.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I've had holsters that didn't retain the weapon as well as carrying it inside the waste band. I've gone head over heals and lost the 1911 out of a very good belt holster (upon landing on it and rolling). If I hadn't had a holster on, it may not have come out, but then again it may have. So I'd say that for me, my experience has shown me that just because its in a holster doesn't mean squat. My preference is to carry in a belt holster or paddle holster. When it's not possible to conceal the weapon in those holsters, I don't waste my time with one.

To each their own.

Top Bottom