• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeep911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    i just bought a 1911 and the receiver had a bad bluing job on it. it was chipped some and after about 20 rounds through it the bluing began to bobble. when i got home i took my thumb nail and started running it across the bluing and about half of it came off. i need to get the rest of it off and redo it. i would like for my 1911 to be two tone when i am done. the slide is flat black and in good shape. i think it would look good for the receiver to be a silver-ish or an olive drab color. so now i must ask, does anyone have any clue how to get the rest of the bluing off and what to do after that...? i really need help on this one! thank you!!!!

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I would suggest duracoat if you want a durable finish ,thereis a couple of INGO advertisers that do this process. I use Bell Armor in Allen co. & the finish is very resilient & unique(titanium slide W/ blue frame)

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Blueing shouldn't chip. Could it be a powdercoating of sorts? Or even paint? Anyway, muratic acid will strip the blueing. If you're going to get it re-coated, you might want to show/talk to the people you have do it. They might want to handle it in the condition it is in now and go from there.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Purple72 has a good point, blueing should not be flaking off. What type, brand 1911 are you dealing with? If it is flaking and chipping, it should be some sort of coating.

Since you are thinking about a two tone finish, you could have the entire pistol parkerized, then KG, or Duracoat the frame whatever color you are wanting. If you are thinking silver-ish, maybe a matte hard chrome, and a TiAlN coating for the slide.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    blueing is a chemical reaction with the metal...it doesn't actually chip....what you have is probably a powdercoated, painted, anodized or some other form of "applied finish"....to remove it is usually done by a gunsmith with a very light bead blasting or specific chemical stripper

jeep911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    thanks for all the help but i ended up finding a kit at gander mountain and it took me 5 hours to strip it, cure it, blu it. i have about 20 pictures of the process i went through just incase anyone decides to do the same. at this point im happy with how it looks but ill know for sure 2morrow morning. i feel like a kid b4 xmas! i realy wanted to go with the two tone but couldnt find what i needed to make it like that so i just went with black. ill just buy a kimber later in life that is exactly how i want it.

jeep911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    ill see if i can figure out how to upload pics alittle latter today. i wont do all 20 pictures.

cfgunworks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Clinton Co.
    To get the most out of firearms coating the surface should be prepped by blasting or etching. If blasting 120 grit aluminum oxide works well, glass bead blasting does not give as good of a surface for adhesion. That said, if you want a two tone you could treat the entire pistol with KG K-Phos and then coat the slide with Gun-Kote this would eliminate the need for blasting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom