1911 as Utah State Gun--entirely too cool!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Utah, State firearm

1911 lol :)
    Utah Lawmakers Propose M1911 As Official State Gun

The bill to make the Browning M1911 the official gun breezed through a committee hearing this week and is scheduled to be debated by the full House as early as Wednesday.

Republican Rep. Carl Wimmer said the state should have the gun as one of its state symbols to honor John Browning, a Utah native who invented it in 1911.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I fully support Utah's quest for enlightenment. I look forward to the day when we have a national holiday for John Moses Browning. One of America's greatest hero's.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Gun Violence Prevention Center board member Steve Gunn told The Associated Press honoring the M1911 is wrong because the people who opened fire in most recent U.S. mass shootings used semiautomatic pistols. That includes the Jan. 8 Arizona shooting in which six people were killed and 13 — including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords — were wounded with a Glock pistol.
    "It's an embarrassment to the state to have as a symbol that was used only a few weeks ago to kill innocent people," Gunn said.

I'm a semi-supporter of gun control, and this person is an idiot.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    So, it sounds like we need to start calling our representitives and ask that they pursue naming the AR as the official Indiana state gun.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Utah may get a state gun

Story at CNN Utah may adopt a state gun – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Utah may adopt the Browning M1911 as an official state symbol as it was designed by John Moses Browning, a Utah native.

The measure has already passed the house 51-19. One lawmaker said sarcastically "Well let's make arsenic our state poison as its a major byproduct of mining here" and another proposed erecting a statue of Browning instead, but others pointed out that the statue would cost taxpayer money.

Stnmikita

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    I salute the fine people of the great state of Utah for their efforts to commemorate one of their greatest citizens!

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    AR-15. Eugene Stoner was born in Gosport, IN.
    F the AR15, stoner 63........

John Browning needs to be a national hero, I propose his birthday to be a national holiday!!!!!!!!

Sure the 1911 is one of his popular ones, but he designed the first lever, pump, and semi shotguns, 1903/8 colt pocket hammerless, BARm1918, 1919 browning 30cal, M2 fiddy, and idk how many more.....he was a visionary that I question if this country will ever see the likes of again:patriot:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I think we need to get together, vote on a gun we all like, and flood our state government with a request for a state gun.

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    He may not have been born in IN but the gatling gun was, and Tommy Thompson wasn't born in IN but grew up there and went to IU then invented the machine gun. IN has a great arms heritage, plus there is no site like this one!

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    i laughed at the guy who claimed all mormons were rapists and polygamists......really people?

I wonder how long before the feds trample state rights and ban this practice?

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    I remember seeing an Afghan rug on Antiques roadshow with AK-47's in the design... similar concept i think. so do all LEO's in UT have to carry 1911's now???

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I remember seeing an Afghan rug on Antiques roadshow with AK-47's in the design... similar concept i think. so do all LEO's in UT have to carry 1911's now???

No, I dont think that is quite the same concept.

How many police departments use 1911s these days? I know I was watching Cops earlier and one guy drew a full size Glock, but I found it interesting that the other officer had a very nice 1911 looking 1911 (still in his holster)

Top Bottom