• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spacelegged

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    im thinking of getting a 5" barrel 1911 gi expert from para usa. i dont have any experiance with ccw a 1911 or a 5" barrel. i know the weight is gonna be way heavier then my sig compact. whats the best way to carry a big heavy gun. inside the waist or outside the waist? holster brand? i could really use some advice and knowledge from u fellow members. please and thnx..

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Milt Sparks VM-II. It's still gonna be heavy and a pain in the ass, but at least it won't pull your pants down if you use a good belt.

I love my 1911, but I won't carry it every day. It's just too heavy.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Generally speaking the heavier the gun you carry the higher the quality of holster and the heavier (reinforced) belt you will need to carry it comfortably.

Buy a reinforced gun belt, if not then at least buy a very stiff double layer leather belt. Expect to pay $50 to $80 for the belt! It is well worth it. A good belt can make a world of difference between COMFORTABLE carry or feeling like you are carrying a weight around all day. I cannot stress enough that a good belt is critical.

If you want an In the Waistband Holster then seriously look at the CrossBreed Super Tuck. I have a drawer of holster I no longer use. After buying the CrossBreed SuperTuck about 2 years ago I have never even considered putting on any of my other IWB holsters.

You will have an easier time concealing the 5" barrel than you will hiding the rear corner of the grip. Generally speaking the barrel is not the issue, the issue is what sticks up above your belt line. On the 1911 guns, which is what I typically carry, the butt of the grip is the hardest part to conceal.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    +1 on what Melensdad said, the belt is a big part along with a good holster don't think you can skimp by on either . You will pay the cost one time with quality holster &belt. It is a shame you can't try out holster's like a pair of shoes and find out what YOU like and feel comfortable with . Look at it this way if you don't like the holster and it's not damaged you will probably get your money back by reselling it

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    It's been said, but it's so vital that I'll say it again: you need to have a good, sturdy belt. I have carried a fullsize 1911 as my EDC before, and I can speak from personal experience that having a better belt makes it much more comfortable, even with the same ol' holster you'd been using. Having a good holster is also important, but I think the belt is even more important. If you're looking to shave few bucks where you can, consider getting the good belt first along with a cheaper holster, then upgrade the holster when you can afford it.

The importance that you are carrying concealed should also affect your holster decision. I really like the Galco Summer Comfort for IWB when it comes to comfort, but they are a little thick — good for being a solid holster, not good for concealment without adjusting my wardrobe. Check out the SuperTuck somebody else mentioned; I've heard many good things about it, and it seems to conceal well in the demo videos.

Additionally, I'll back up what melensdad said about the grip being the tougher part to conceal.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Generally speaking the heavier the gun you carry the higher the quality of holster and the heavier (reinforced) belt you will need to carry it comfortably.

Buy a reinforced gun belt, if not then at least buy a very stiff double layer leather belt. Expect to pay $50 to $80 for the belt! It is well worth it. A good belt can make a world of difference between COMFORTABLE carry or feeling like you are carrying a weight around all day. I cannot stress enough that a good belt is critical.

If you want an In the Waistband Holster then seriously look at the CrossBreed Super Tuck. I have a drawer of holster I no longer use. After buying the CrossBreed SuperTuck about 2 years ago I have never even considered putting on any of my other IWB holsters.

You will have an easier time concealing the 5" barrel than you will hiding the rear corner of the grip. Generally speaking the barrel is not the issue, the issue is what sticks up above your belt line. On the 1911 guns, which is what I typically carry, the butt of the grip is the hardest part to conceal.

^This^

No matter how you carry it, you are still going to be carrying a lot of weight though.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    +1 on the IWB Milt Sparks VersaMax ll and a high quality, thick belt. My daily carry is a 5" with a bull barrel, tungsten guide rod and a Sparks IWB mag carrier with 2 spare mags, so there's some weight there. I carry it at app. 4-4:30 position. It took a week or so to get used to but I don't even feel it anymore. For reference, I'm about 6' and 215.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I carry mine OWB utilizing either a Kramer horsehide belt which I have had for about ten years, or a Maxpedition "Liger" belt. Of the two, I prefer the Liger belt. My carry holster is a Wilson Combat "Tactical Assault".

Yes, it may be a pain in the ass to carry, but when it is in the hand that 1911 portrays a comfort seldom experienced.

Like Clint Smith has said, guns are comforting, not comfortable. I'd gladly carry a 5" 1911 for its benefits (lighter recoil, longer sight radius, etc.) vs. carrying a J frame Smith just for portability sake. When the decision is made to carry a full sized firearm, don't buy cheap holsters, mags, mag carriers, etc. Quality begets quality. How much is your life or your loved ones' lives worth?

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Here is a pic of my carry rig. Beltman sharkskin tapered dual ply 8oz shark/8 oz bull leather with internal stiffener. TT Gunleather IWB and double mag holsters. I believe they are better quality than the VersaMax 2 (VMII) and a bit cheaper and HALF the wait time. While a bit extreme, this setup cost just under $400 with 50 day wait on belt and 16 week wait on holsters. WELL WORTH EVERY PENNEY. This will easily support my 40oz loaded EMP and dual extra mags so comfortable that I wear almost every part of the day not sleeping. Work, wrenching, camping, etc.

dsc04286q.jpg

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Wow that's a sweet setup. You must have to buy some big pants to fit the gun and the spare mags inside your waistband.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Wow that's a sweet setup. You must have to buy some big pants to fit the gun and the spare mags inside your waistband.

Nope - regular size 32 waist is what I wear - with or without. Tried moving up one size to 34 waist and it was far from working - looked like some hoodlum gangbanger. They stretch just a bit, but everything is so thin, you almost forget its even there - one of the main reasons I switched from a Glock 27 and double stack mags to this single stack setup.

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Detroit
    In the summer months just to much hassle. But in the winter months I carry mine occasionally in a Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Rig. Havn't really carried one IWB/OWB so I have no input in that regard.....

DT

Top Bottom