• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a Springfield 1911 and purchased a Kimber conversion. Like it and it's good practice for handling the .45 without flinching. Shoot enough .22 through it and you don't even notice the .45.

Completely agreed. Go to the range and shoot 100-200 rounds of .22 and then swap slides. You'll be amazed how much tighter your groups with the .45 are. I have also purchased the Kimber conversion (about 300), and it is what I would recommend. Why? Glad you asked. It allows you to keep the same feel that your current gun has since the thumb safety, grip safety, trigger, grips, mainspring, and a trigger job--if you have one--stay the same. Personally I really like that. Some people are against the conversion kits since most won't lock on empty. Honestly I like that. I use the .22 for training, which means sight picture and trigger control...and clearing malfunctions. Sometimes I purposely let the kit get really dirty so it runs poorly and I can practice clearing problems. You may want it for different reasons though, but that's my :twocents:

ASMITH925

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Paragon
    I'm between the Rail or the Gold Cup Colts and the RIA XT-22. I guess I'm going to see how they feel in my hand and go from there.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    What I Like

One that I would not get, is a Chiappa 22LR.
    I have shot and know friends who have Rugers. All are very happy with them.
    My personal favorite, is the SW MP22. Absolutely reliable, great triggger
    and accurate.
    My two cents.

heeringa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    GSG1911 has done fine by me.

I have one, and really enjoy it. Make sure you clean it very thoroughly after each trip to the range. Since the gun is painted it will probably have some issues until the excess paint gets worn off through time. I've had issues with the cheapest of the cheap ammo, but recently that's starting to go away.

ASMITH925

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Paragon
    I ended up buying a GSG and 2 extra magazines. I haven't shot it yet. need to find more ammo. It is my first 1911 and probably won't be my last.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I have owned both the GSG & the Sig 1911-22. IMO, pay the extra $75-$100 for the Sig. The finish & the trigger are both worth the extra money. If I take my GSG to a smith, it'll take at least that much to get it feeling like the Sig out of the box.

Have a few friends that like the Ruger SR22 & the M&P22, but I've not had range time with either.

BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    I have had great luck with my GSG 1911 22lr...eats bulk ammo (when it was avail)...Its def one gun that always goes to the range for some fun.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    No I don't already have a 1911 but that is a idea. Anybody know anything about the Colt 1911-22?

There are older conversion kits for true Colt 1911s (I recall seeing 9mm to 22 lr with different barrels etc.), but the current Colt branded German made 1911-like in 22lr leaves much to be desired.

I have the opportunity to shot Colt 1911s in 45 acp, 9mm and the Wather made 22lr and the 22lr is by far the least accurate (because it does not have a true 5" barrel, but a shorter fixed barrel in what looks like a full size slide).

In order to save money, I like shooting the Colt in 9mm (but the Colt in 45 acp is most accurate, all are OK).

Perhaps the Sig is better for 22lr (I believe it has an external extractor vs an internal extractor).

:ingo:

Top Bottom