• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Before you jump too hard on this guy.....
    If you use a POPs gun (rental) you have to use POPs ammo. That much I know is a fact!
    If you BYO handgun, you can use your own ammo. In this situation, he had to buy from POPs. They want to protect their investment and pull down some $$. It's understandable, as you don't want somebody putting +P, hot handloads, etc. through your gear if it's not up to the task.

Fair enough.. I will actually be there this afternoon because I'll be in Indy and want to shoot a new gun I recently bought.

I will ask them what/how/who/when/how much when I'm there and come back with some info straight from the horse's mouth!

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like a flat rate for the range. Blythe's Sport shop in Valparaiso has an indoor range and charges $9.00 for however long you end up shooting. Its nice cause you don't constantly have to be thinking about the time.

How many lanes does Blythe's have? I don't see charging $9 for any length of time being profitable and let’s be real here if I am going to spend $150,000 putting in a range it needs to make a profit.

You have to pay someone to run it. $3000 a month (that $10/ hour plus taxes)
    You have to maintain it
    Air filters
    Electric $300-$500 a month (commercial)
    Gas for heat (maybe) $500 a month average (keep in mind you are moving a lot of air)
    Inspections (don't know)
    Insurance $1000 a month

If you are open 8 hours a day 7 days a week you are looking at $5000-$7000 a month to run it depending on time of year. Break that down the range has to make $20 an hour to break even. Let’s not forget the cost to build it.
    I may have over estimated the costs but not by much.

Having said that how much is a range worth to shoot at now?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    $10-$20 an hour to shoot??!! Yikes!!!!

My family pays $50 per year, for all three of us. And we get to shoot pistols, shotguns, rifles, and bows, not to mention we can fish and camp. If we were paying those rates every trip to the range would cost us almost $200, assuming our boy was even allowed to shoot.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    How many lanes does Blythe's have? I don't see charging $9 for any length of time being profitable and let’s be real here if I am going to spend $150,000 putting in a range it needs to make a profit.

You have to pay someone to run it. $3000 a month (that $10/ hour plus taxes)
    You have to maintain it
    Air filters
    Electric $300-$500 a month (commercial)
    Gas for heat (maybe) $500 a month average (keep in mind you are moving a lot of air)
    Inspections (don't know)
    Insurance $1000 a month

If you are open 8 hours a day 7 days a week you are looking at $5000-$7000 a month to run it depending on time of year. Break that down the range has to make $20 an hour to break even. Let’s not forget the cost to build it.
    I may have over estimated the costs but not by much.

Having said that how much is a range worth to shoot at now?

They have 2 rooms, a left and a right. Each room has 6 lanes if I recall correctly. And I'm not BSing at all. I go there all the time probably about 2 or 3 times a month. I'd go to the outdoor ranges but the closest ones are Jasper-Pulaski which is a 45 minute drive or Kingsford which is 55 minutes. Since Blythe's is only 15 minutes away I figure it saves me gas money and time so its probably a wash since I have the $9 range fee. I also like how I can weel the target out to whatever distance I want up to 25 yards and not having to deal with a range nazi watching over my sholder is just an added bonus. :D

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Outdoor ranges are much cheaper to build and maintain. So yes they are cheaper.

Sounds like Blythe's has a good set up going and good rates.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Outdoor ranges are much cheaper to build and maintain. So yes they are cheaper.

Sounds like Blythe's has a good set up going and good rates.

People abuse the hell outta that. When it is crowded Blythes charges are based on an hr.
    As a courtesy they will allow you to use more than one lane and give you more time than the hour. On the weekends they end up building a waiting list and have shagged people out. It depends on if you are spending $ there as to how well they "follow" their own rules.

Some guys are really nice others not so nice.

Debs in Hammond was trying to make you shoot leadsafe ammo a while while back. So unless you bought and brought TMJ with you, you had to buy their ammo.
    I don't think that lasted long.
    Their range is kinda small and dirty there.
    Blythes was filthy last time I went there.
    So $19 an hour seems high but if he can get people to pay it... I guess that is the definition of capitalism.

Anyone know why that big newer range in Chesterton closed. That range was beautiful inside. The "outfitting" side was ok. But what a range! Was it Rangemasters?

I wonder if they sold off all the equipment or it is still there?

They were selling year passes for $600 which is probably what killed them. Most people will go 2 or $300 but $600 is just too pricey unless you are giving discounts on gear and guns as well.

Man I would love to partner up with 20 investors and try to make that work. lol Do club matches like NPCCC and hold grudge matches with other groups. I figure with the right atmosphere and attitude it could be workable.
    Make it a coffe house/ smokeshop and Range and training facility.
    Gotta talk to Melensdad lol...
    You wouldn't even need to do a full gunstore just a small section like a proshop.

Sorry for the threadjack here.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I went two months ago and they had no problem letting me shoot my own ammo in my own gun. He just asked what kind it was and since it was just basic stuff from Dick's/Walmart, he had no problem with it.

I think Pop's offers a product (range shooting) that isn't that widespread in the city. I used to go to Don's on the south and north side, but those stores closed and I don't even remember what they charged. As one who lives in the Indy area, the other DNR ranges are not that close. I would spend a lot more in gas just to get to New Castle or Edinburgh.

I agree. Until another range opens up that is available to shooters in Marion County, Pop's will continue to fill the role it currently has. I'm not going to Don's for a stress reliving, session - or to concentrate on developing skill.

I have a yearly membership at Pop's and feel that its a pretty good deal. $149 up front gets me free call ahead lane reservations Monday-Friday before 5 pm. After that and on weekends, its an additional $6 an hour - still allowing for call ahead reservations.

In addition, I really can't shoot indoors for more than an hour a session anyway. I get too sweaty and my sinuses clog up with soot.

redrob5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    I'm gonna raise the :bs: on your co-worker.

Ain't no way an indoor range is going to require you to use their ammo charging $25.00 a box. No one would go except the newest "Susie Soccermom" who bought a gun from them. One sure way to lose your ass is to require something like this. Nevermind the fact that there's no way in hell they'd have enough ammo in stock to supply the amount of people/amount of rounds required to shoot in any given day.

Before we argue, let's do some research...

Indoor Shooting Range Memberships - Indianapolis Area Shooting Range

Thank you for setting the record straight. I was just relaying what I was told, he may have misunderstood their policy when he told me. However, I have advised this guy to not buy anything at Pops due to them being overpriced on guns (and probably ammo as well) and the guy behind the counter BSing the Mr. "Suzi Socccermom" customer when I was in there.

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Last time at pops paid 35 before taxes for .40 ammo 50 box. Wont ever do that again. Range is decent for the price. Ammo prices are outrageous now. Handgun prices were decent before the hype began.

Top Bottom