• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    a guy told me it was 19.00 an hour to shoot at pops.had someone else tell me they wont sell ammo unless you shoot it at their range..please tell me this isn't true.i haven't been there in a long,long time.i remember they used to give the tokens for a free half hour,do they do that anymore??????

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Dont know about the 19.00hr thing but there is a sign on the door as of yesterday that they only sell ammo to range users and someone who purchases a gun!! CRAZY!! And the prices were way high on stuff!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Sounds to me like they are rationing due to the shortage and making sure that people who need it most are getting it. The ammo shortage is freeing up and I bet the policy ends soon.

They probably make 5% on ammo sales at most. Add a pistol at X% and the ammo sale helps. Range is where the money is. And if there is no ammo to shoot, then there are no range fees or rental fees.

Simple business.

Oh, and I am no big fan of theirs. But I can recognize basic business when I see it.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    They make closer to 20% mark up on ammo but that really only comes to a couple dollars a box. As for the range price, $19 an hour is really only $9.50 an half hour which is cheaper then they used to be. But, if you only shoot for a half hour then it is expensive.
    As a gun store owner who is working on a range what would people like to see? By the hour or half hour and what kind of price ranges?

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    They make closer to 20% mark up on ammo but that really only comes to a couple dollars a box. As for the range price, $19 an hour is really only $9.50 an half hour which is cheaper then they used to be. But, if you only shoot for a half hour then it is expensive.
    As a gun store owner who is working on a range what would people like to see? By the hour or half hour and what kind of price ranges?

Where would the range be? Price range... cheaper than popguns. And cheaper yearly membership fees. As I like memberships because they save money if you shoot alot. And I shoot alot.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    This may be way too expensive but how about some kind of "prepaid range user" card? Would work like a gift card where you buy xxx minutes at a discounted rate compared to what a one time walk-in user would pay.

Same as a membership I guess but the range/store would get it's $$ up front. There have been times where I only need to shoot for 20 minutes and times where I shoot for 11/2 hours and end up charged for 2 hours...

Just a thought...

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Price Range

I usually go to Class 3 Sales....reasonable rate $9.00 HR
    I would like to see by the Half Hour.....$5.00 some guys want just to try a gun out...maybe make adjustments....or try some new ammo.:twocents:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Im not going to bash Pops. Im not going to spend any of my money there either. I remember which shops treated me fairly when others were trying to cash in big time when AR parts and ammo were tough to find.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    $9 an hour is really good. Class 3 sales has a good set up there. The cost to build a new range in Marion County is very expensive. I would have to say that pops must be doing something right because they are full of shooters every time I go there. I think there should be an early bird price since during the day they have openings and in the evening they are full.
    I was talking to Kent from Class 3 sales yesterday and he said the biggest problem is people breaking Equipment. I assume that if people keep breaking things the price will go up, but that is just my guess.

I usually go to Class 3 Sales....reasonable rate $9.00 HR
    I would like to see by the Half Hour.....$5.00 some guys want just to try a gun out...maybe make adjustments....or try some new ammo.:twocents:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I like a flat rate for the range. Blythe's Sport shop in Valparaiso has an indoor range and charges $9.00 for however long you end up shooting. Its nice cause you don't constantly have to be thinking about the time.

redrob5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    I was in there Monday and was told ammo sales were for range and gun customers only.

A coworker told me on Friday he used their range recently. The 19.00 covered the guns he shot which was three different ones. I thought that was not too bad becuase he could compare three guns was considering purchasing. However, he then told me you were required to use their ammo which cost over $25.00 a box for a box of 50. He was firing 9mm. You can buy compareable ammo (different brand) at Wal-Mart for 9 bux a box. OUCH!!!!

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I was in there Monday and was told ammo sales were for range and gun customers only.

A coworker told me on Friday he used their range recently. The 19.00 covered the guns he shot which was three different ones. I thought that was not too bad becuase he could compare three guns was considering purchasing. However, he then told me you were required to use their ammo which cost over $25.00 a box for a box of 50. He was firing 9mm. You can buy compareable ammo (different brand) at Wal-Mart for 9 bux a box. OUCH!!!!

I'm gonna raise the :bs: on your co-worker.

Ain't no way an indoor range is going to require you to use their ammo charging $25.00 a box. No one would go except the newest "Susie Soccermom" who bought a gun from them. One sure way to lose your ass is to require something like this. Nevermind the fact that there's no way in hell they'd have enough ammo in stock to supply the amount of people/amount of rounds required to shoot in any given day.

Before we argue, let's do some research...

Indoor Shooting Range Memberships - Indianapolis Area Shooting Range

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I was there Sat. morning, you can shoot YOUR ammo. Pop's only sells ammo to range users or gun buyers.So if you have ammo you can shoot it at pop's as long as it isn't steel or aluminum cases.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I'm gonna raise the :bs: on your co-worker.

Ain't no way an indoor range is going to require you to use their ammo charging $25.00 a box. No one would go except the newest "Susie Soccermom" who bought a gun from them. One sure way to lose your ass is to require something like this. Nevermind the fact that there's no way in hell they'd have enough ammo in stock to supply the amount of people/amount of rounds required to shoot in any given day.

Before we argue, let's do some research...

Indoor Shooting Range Memberships - Indianapolis Area Shooting Range

Before you jump too hard on this guy.....
    If you use a POPs gun (rental) you have to use POPs ammo. That much I know is a fact!
    If you BYO handgun, you can use your own ammo. In this situation, he had to buy from POPs. They want to protect their investment and pull down some $$. It's understandable, as you don't want somebody putting +P, hot handloads, etc. through your gear if it's not up to the task.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I was there Sat. morning, you can shoot YOUR ammo. Pop's only sells ammo to range users or gun buyers.So if you have ammo you can shoot it at pop's as long as it isn't steel or aluminum cases.

I went two months ago and they had no problem letting me shoot my own ammo in my own gun. He just asked what kind it was and since it was just basic stuff from Dick's/Walmart, he had no problem with it.

I think Pop's offers a product (range shooting) that isn't that widespread in the city. I used to go to Don's on the south and north side, but those stores closed and I don't even remember what they charged. As one who lives in the Indy area, the other DNR ranges are not that close. I would spend a lot more in gas just to get to New Castle or Edinburgh.

Top Bottom