• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reale1741

Marksman
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    I just added this awesome 1888 Enfield Martini Henry Mk. II to my collection! Took it out go get a little range time with it and it is a BLAST to shoot! The giant 577-450 cartridge definitely rocks you when they go off. I loaded them to the original British service load... 85gr of black powder and a 500 grain paper patched bullet. I can't wait to get it out to the range again!

Attachments

• 88mh-1.jpg
      88mh-1.jpg
      492.5 KB · Views: 54
    • 88mh-2.jpg
      88mh-2.jpg
      264.2 KB · Views: 37
    • 88mh-3.jpg
      88mh-3.jpg
      312.1 KB · Views: 41
    • 88mh-7.jpg
      88mh-7.jpg
      108.3 KB · Views: 44
    • 88mh-8.jpg
      88mh-8.jpg
      294.4 KB · Views: 58
    • 88mh-10.jpg
      88mh-10.jpg
      220.8 KB · Views: 56

Reale1741

Marksman
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    What exactly go's into making the rounds? I'm intrigued...
    Short answer... A LOT! The casings have to be formed from straight walled 24ga shotshell brass, annealed, trimmed. Then the bullets need to be cast, the correct thickness and length of paper needs to be cut for the paper patch. Then the casings need to be primed, loaded with 85gr of 2F powder, then a cotton wool filler, card wad, grease cookie, two more card wads and the bullet in that order. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, lol. This is the video I watched to get me started...

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Short answer... A LOT! The casings have to be formed from straight walled 24ga shotshell brass, annealed, trimmed. Then the bullets need to be cast, the correct thickness and length of paper needs to be cut for the paper patch. Then the casings need to be primed, loaded with 85gr of 2F powder, then a cotton wool filler, card wad, grease cookie, two more card wads and the bullet in that order. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, lol. This is the video I watched to get me started...

I have a freind who has been forming brass. I know he says it has a very high reject rate, which sucks because the brass shotgun shells have a spotty availability!
    Rob from a British Muzzle loaders is an awesome guy. I love watching his videos.

Reale1741

Marksman
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    I have a freind who has been forming brass. I know he says it has a very high reject rate, which sucks because the brass shotgun shells have a spotty availability!
    Rob from a British Muzzle loaders is an awesome guy. I love watching his videos.
    I send my brass off to Martyn Robinson at X-Ring Services to form. He charges $1.25/casing to form, but it's WELL worth it to not have to deal with the headache of doing it myself. I was lucky enough to catch the brass on sale on Ballistic Products for half off ($19.99/box!) I bought 4 boxes. Wish I would have bought more!

Top Bottom