• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I have some handgun ammunition for sale, and an 18 year old is interested in buying it. Both he and I have the Indiana LTCH (pink card). My reading of the federal law is that FFL's cannot sell handgun ammo to anyone under 21. I interpret that private sellers may legally sell handgun ammo to anyone 18 or older, provided that person is not known to have other disqualifying factors. I believe state law says the same thing.

Is my understanding correct? May I sell handgun ammo to this 18 year old with a permit? If not, this deal is over.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I can't think of a single caliber that doesn't have a rifle chambered in it. Therefore there is no such thing as "pistol ammo". That is why Walmart often asks if it's for a rifle or pistol.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    As a non-FFL holder - if you are both residents of Indiana it is 100% legal to sell him ANY ammo or ANY pistol, rifle or handgun that you can legally sell to anyone over 21.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    If it's for a rifle you can buy any ammo at 18. Handgun is 21. There was a specific reason why I had a 9mm carbine at 18.... Wish I still had it. This was also part of the reason my now wife is older than me. When I turned 21 I told her I was gonna leave her because I could buy my own beer and ammo!

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    If it's for a rifle you can buy any ammo at 18. Handgun is 21. There was a specific reason why I had a 9mm carbine at 18.... Wish I still had it. This was also part of the reason my now wife is older than me. When I turned 21 I told her I was gonna leave her because I could buy my own beer and ammo!

The federal statue I read says that your understanding is only true for FFL's. Indiana does not have any law that I can find that is more restrictive than the federal law. My conclusion, as others have affirmed here, is that private party sales of handgun ammo to IN residents over 18 are legal.

I think many sporting goods stores require you to be 21 for handgun ammo, even if they don't have a FFL. I'm not sure why that is, unless it is a concern for liability that goes beyond what the law requires.

Top Bottom