• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have been looking at the 17 HMR and I am wondering what the INGO members that have a 17 HMR think of their rifles. What features do you like best about your rifle?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've got one, a Ruger American full size. Trigger is great, stock comes with low and high combs, and the iron sights are actually fairly decent. Rifle as a whole feels solid, more like a centerfire than a rimfire; and is very accurate. I don't care much for synthetic stocks, but the interchangeable combs balances that out somewhat. Also the bluing looks a little thin so I don't expect it to last.

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    I had a marlin bull barrel and thumbhole stock... I sold it like a fool and I miss that .17 rifle. I bought a Savage .17 this summer, SS bull barrel, by pod, and scope. There's a reason I bought another .17. They are fun guns. You can shoot extremely tight groups with a .17 as long as it's not windy. I'll always have one in my safe and take it to the range when we shoot rifles.
    For the 2 I've owned I like the Marlin better, not to say that the savage isn't a good shooter. I just preferred the Marlin.
    that's my 2 cents.

glank09

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I have the Savage 93R17 with the accutrigger. I love the trigger on these. The gun is far more accurate than I am. I can hit a dinner plate every shot at 250 yards with mine. As others have said, this round is highly affected by the wind.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Had a mossberg with a bull barrel. That gun was boringly accurate. Ragged hole @ 100yds all day long. Traded out of it but I would have added a bipod if I kept it. Bull barrel very front heavy.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a Marlin. Love it. Bull barrel and some glass makes for a fun shooter.

Little expensive to just plink with, but boy can that round do some damage on little nuisance critters!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have a Ruger 77/.17. GREAT rifle and I very much enjoy shooting the .17HMR round.The Ruger 77 series is a bit pricey compared to Marlin, Savage,CZ and others but one can see the superior quality when you hold and examine one, but it is worth it in my book. Not suggesting the others are bad though. The Ruger 77 /17 It is one well built, smooth operating rifle designed for scope only. In many ways I like it better than the .22cal. First of all the ammo is readily available. Even during the worst times of the continued ammo scarcity. One could almost always find .17hmr on the shelf when nothing else was. Actually that is why I bought a 17 cal rifle. Anyway...that is my thoughts on the 17 and the rifles that shoots them.:twocents:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I have the Savage 93R17 with the accutrigger. I love the trigger on these. The gun is far more accurate than I am. I can hit a dinner plate every shot at 250 yards with mine. As others have said, this round is highly affected by the wind.

I'll second the 93R17! Got this Savage for my son a bit on a whim, and some ballistics I had seen on the 17HMR. It's just stupid fun to stretch out with a scope. Also installed a nice little bipod on it. We did a test of the 17HMR vs. 22LR on an orange, just for kicks, and to shoot at something besides paper. The 22LR does a pretty good job, but the 17HMR exploded the orange in half, darn near peeled it too.

Anyway, :yesway: on the Savage, I really enjoy the AccuTrigger too. It's adjustable, but we haven't touched it from the stock settings.

zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    I think .17 hmr is the best rimfire round (the .17 wsm is cool and all, but both the guns and ammo are rare).

Here is mine. Savage 93R17 TRR-SR with a Huntertown Guardian XL screwed onto it.
    Pbk8gRV.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg

I've got the same gun. It is super-accurate. I shot the head clean off a squirrel at 140 yards with it. It consistently shoots 3/4 MOA, and sometimes less.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Wow, it sounds like as if all you guys like your rifles. I like the Rugger 77/17 but I think for the price, I will most likely go the Savage or Marlin. Having never owned a Savage, I would like to add them to my group. Marlins that I have are good rifles and have never failed to please (I don't have any newer Marlins, mine are all older 336 in 30-30, 1895 guide gun in 450 Marlin, and my 22 mag), but the triggers on the Savages seem to be better. I like Rugers and have 2 M77's, one in .30-06 and the other in 300 win mag, the Ruger looks to be a nicer looking gun.
    As far as the Cz and the Brownings, I think are above what I would want to pay.
    What brands of scopes have you guys been using on your 17 hmr rifles?

ihammond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Millhousen
    I also have the Savage 93r17 and love it. I have taken it prairie dog hunting and its great as long as the wind is light out to 150 to 200 yards.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I have one in a cz452 trainer and its probably the best shooting gun I have. Its explosive on small critters. What I really like about it is how that it shoots to 150yds. I have a burris fullfield 3-9 b plex on mine and the bplex is almost spot on out to 300 yards.
    15327528584_9f7b10418d_b.jpg

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im fixing to put one of the 93R17s on layaway this week. After I shot one an seen how accurate the 17hrm was I was really sold on adding one to my collection. The new 17wsm is neat but Ive heard way to many accuracy issues with the ammo so I decided to just go with the 17hmr. Good luck on your purchase.

rdb700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Southern IN
    I have a savage with bull barrel and I like the accutrigger. I had a marlin with a wood stock. It was a very nice gun and like an idiot I sold it. I love the gun to shoot varmints. Its very accurate. I ve got a bushnell banner on it currently but would like to get something different for it. The .17 hmr is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I've got a CZ453 in.17 and love it. Ammo is plentiful, not as cheap as .22 but well worth the bang for the buck.
    I shoot a lot of gound squirrels and it is flat devastating.

Top Bottom