• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Lesson:

Shotguns do not have the firing pin block/drop safety that carry guns have.

The safety only blocks the trigger from being pulled.

Everyone using a shotgun for HD should know this and know the consequences for keeping a shotgun loaded (one in the pipe).

It's too bad a kid had to get hurt to remind us.

Last edited:

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    From channel 6:
    Hamilton County sheriff's Maj. Mark Bowen said Carson Wallace, 16, was apparently chasing his younger brother with snow balls at their home at 8301 E. 216th St., when the 14-year-old boy ran into the garage and grabbed a shotgun.

Thinking the gun wasn't loaded, the younger boy pulled the trigger, striking his brother in the chest.

How horrible for all of them.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It keeps getting worse. Sad enough that the poor kid died, but now his brother is going to have to go through life knowing that he killed his older brother. Horseplay with a firearm usually ends tragically. How sad.

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Please take a moment to remind yourselves and your loved ones to treat ANY gun, whether your own, someone elses, or just "found" as being loaded and ready to shoot, and to never ever point in the direction of someone you don't intend to harm. We all know this but can never be said enough.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    Please take a moment to remind yourselves and your loved ones to treat ANY gun, whether your own, someone elses, or just "found" as being loaded and ready to shoot, and to never ever point in the direction of someone you don't intend to harm. We all know this but can never be said enough.

+1^^
    This is sad story for sure. Lots of thought with the younger brother.

The first report I heard on the news yesterday afternoon said the shotgun fell over and "went off" My first thought was either something else actually happened or that was unbelievably unlucky to knock a shotgun over and something happens snag the trigger and pull it while pointed at the boy. Unfortunately we find out later that the brother didn't think it was loaded.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    It keeps getting worse. Sad enough that the poor kid died, but now his brother is going to have to go through life knowing that he killed his older brother. Horseplay with a firearm usually ends tragically. How sad.

Couldn't agree more, I can't imagine what it would feel like knowing he caused his brothers death. Very sad.

thecanuck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I knew this young man and hunted with him a few times. He was a good kid and the sad thing is if anyone one of 6 or 7 basics of gun safety had been observed then he would still be here today. It never gets old to preach to our kids on gun safety for sure... I was at the showing this weekend and we can only pray that the family, especially the brother, is able to pick up the pieces...

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I'm sure that the original story came from the brother that didn't want to admit that he accidently shot his brother... God... What a freaking tragedy.

Top Bottom