Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Multiple reasons:

-No more 16-gauge skeet event

-the introduction of better 20-gauge loads, including the 3in. 20-gauge

-lack of dedicated 16-gauge frames as manufacturers focused mass-production following WW2

There was a pretty good article about 16-gauges in the Jan. Fur, Fish, & Game titled The Sweet 16s, that discusses the decline of the 16-gauge in great detail.

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I love my 16s! I feel like the gun companies conspired to do away with the 16 to streamline their product lines. I can think of no other reason to eliminate the do it all gauge. Lighter than a 12 with almost the same performance, only a little heavier than a 20 but with a 1/8 to 1/4 oz more shot in a standard field load. Granted deer and turkey hunting is where the 12 excells. Come to think of it maybe the decline of small game populations and hunting added to the decline of the 16. Heck, I can hardly find ammo anymore.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Waterfowl, is also 12-gauge territory. I had a new production Remington 870 Wingmaster 16-gauge that I really liked for doves and put-and-take pheasants, but when it comes to wild pheasants, I'd rather have the extra wing-breaking edge of the 12.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My father passed one down to me years ago. Haven't shot it in several years. Is ammo still available?

Ammo is still available, just not nearly as common as the others. I used to find it at walmart and rural king in martinsville. Havent looked with the ammo craze going on. They are probably taking all of the 16 gauge ammo too. It can also be found online in multiple places.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    16 ga.

There is a dedicated "community" of us who still shoot and collect 16 ga. shotguns.....there is a "16 ga. society" web site.....during the past ten years there has been a resurgence of interest in the 16.....Browning ran some special production runs of "true 16" O/U's....these are 6.5 lb guns....they also ran 16 ga. BPS's....and Remington ran some production runs of 870's and 1100's.....There are still a lot of 16's made overseas.....Ballistic products has anything you want in 16 loads, components, data, etc.
    I have hunted with 16's for over 45 years....and still hunt birds with a 16 SxS BSA....Post #2 was correct in enumerating the reasons that the 16 faded in the market place......it still lives on with us diehards.

browning84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    for all you 16 lovers out there.. why do you love it so much.. I have no idea what to use it for... Im pretty sure it was used for hunting.. but with the 12 and 20 I dont see a need for the 16. Let me know what you guys use them for.. thanks

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    My Browning Sweet Sixteen is a gun that has been passed down to the first born male of the family at the age of sixteen for a few generations. It's a pleasant round to shoot that packs a punch, but not as much as a 12. I guess my attachment is mostly sentimental.

Indianabuster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    IMO there is no better upland gun that a 16. Yes, 12's and sometimes 20's work, but for me, it's always been the perfect balance.

...plus I think there's something special about carrying a gauge most others don't (and some probably don't even know about).

I just posted a thread the other day about having my Sweet Sixteen (hands down my favorite gun of all time) restored

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    for all you 16 lovers out there.. why do you love it so much.. I have no idea what to use it for... Im pretty sure it was used for hunting.. but with the 12 and 20 I dont see a need for the 16. Let me know what you guys use them for.. thanks
    Same could be said for the reverse..... with a good 16 what's the need for a 12 or 20? LOL I used mine for every thing till the ammo manufacturers quit making good deer slugs it and I started turkey hunting. I'd still like to kill a gobbler with Dad's old 870 in 16.

Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Savage/Stevens in 16ga it has been passed down for generations. I love how it shoots and the history behind it just makes it sweeter. I can't ever find trap loads for it but game loads are almost always in at bass pro.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have a Savage/Stevens in 16ga it has been passed down for generations. I love how it shoots and the history behind it just makes it sweeter. I can't ever find trap loads for it but game loads are almost always in at bass pro.

Yep, I have an old Stevens single shot 16ga my grandpa gave me. Guess he used to keep it while watching a still in Joliet, IL during prohibition and shoot wabbits. He quit the whiskey thing when the Capone boys started coming around. :ar15:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I've got a Marlin Model 90 O/U in 16 ga that my Dad gave me when I was 16 40+ years ago. The gun was made in 1949 and it was my first shotgun. I've used it all these years and there is no better upland bird gun. I had a trip for grouse hunting in Maine last October and limited out everyday. The gun is a dream to shoot and being in the middle between 12 and 20 its perfect. I can use 2 3/4 heavy loads with 1 1/8 oz loads of #6 shot and limit out every day on grouse, pheasant and chuckar all day long while my buddies lug around 12 ga cannons. I give up nothing to a 12 ga with those loads. Besides every time I take it out all my friends just can't believe what the 16 ga can do while at the trap range and others always come over to take a look and this "ancient" shotgun. Its always my pleasure to share it with other shooters.

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I have a browning sweet 16 and my kids will be fighting over it 40 years from now. It is light and handy and shoots shot and slugs very well. Hands down my favorite gun...

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    For you 16 ga. ammo seekers, I have seen a case or two of 2.75" rifled slugs at GM in Castleton and the Meijer in Richmond. I picked up some game loads at the Richmond Dunhams a couple of weeks ago. I usually buy 6-12 boxes when I find some and leave the rest there for someone else. Below is a pic of a full box of 25 I've had for a "few" years.
    get-attachment.aspx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom